other methods of database backups - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on other methods of database backups - Veritas Net Backup ; Is anyone out there backing up their database outside of the normal means? I know it is necessary to find another way to do it if you database happens to be too large to fit on one tape, but I ...

  1. other methods of database backups

    Is anyone out there backing up their database outside of the normal means? I
    know it is necessary to find another way to do it if you database happens to
    be too large to fit on one tape, but I would like to do it for another
    reason. When Netbackup pauses to back up the database at times during the
    day upon completion of a successful schedule, it doesn't allow any other
    backup to start, for good reasons. Our database is currently 14+ gb, so this
    backup takes 1+ hours. I would like to get rid of that pause in our
    availability. Any suggestions?

  2. Re: other methods of database backups

    Hi there,
    you could schedule your database backups via cron, at a convinient time of
    day/night.
    Eg:
    30 08 * * * /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpbackupdb

    Remember to disable automatic execution of the databasebackups, done in
    xbpadm/File/Change Netbackup DB.../When to Backup/Never (must be
    manually...)

    "Brett Jenkins" wrote in message
    > Is anyone out there backing up their database outside of the normal means?

    > know it is necessary to find another way to do it if you database happens

    > be too large to fit on one tape, but I would like to do it for another
    > reason. When Netbackup pauses to back up the database at times during the
    > day upon completion of a successful schedule, it doesn't allow any other
    > backup to start, for good reasons. Our database is currently 14+ gb, so

    this
    > backup takes 1+ hours. I would like to get rid of that pause in our
    > availability. Any suggestions?

  3. Re: other methods of database backups

    Brett:

    Overlap your schedule such that there are backups always running until the
    last is finished. This will avoid the momentary pause you speak of and will
    only backup the database when all of your backups are done.

    I have clients that have over 400 jobs run in a night and only one db backup
    job is done and that is at 6am when everything else finishes.

    The obvious downside is that it doesn't get backed up during the backup schedule.

    Hope that helps.

    -David Chapa
    DataStaff, Inc.

    "Brett Jenkins" wrote:
    >Is anyone out there backing up their database outside of the normal means?

    >know it is necessary to find another way to do it if you database happens

    >be too large to fit on one tape, but I would like to do it for another
    >reason. When Netbackup pauses to back up the database at times during the
    >day upon completion of a successful schedule, it doesn't allow any other
    >backup to start, for good reasons. Our database is currently 14+ gb, so

    this
    >backup takes 1+ hours. I would like to get rid of that pause in our
    >availability. Any suggestions?

  4. Re: other methods of database backups

    You can always set it to manual and then use cron to run the backup.
    "Brett Jenkins" wrote:
    >Is anyone out there backing up their database outside of the normal means?

    >know it is necessary to find another way to do it if you database happens

    >be too large to fit on one tape, but I would like to do it for another
    >reason. When Netbackup pauses to back up the database at times during the
    >day upon completion of a successful schedule, it doesn't allow any other
    >backup to start, for good reasons. Our database is currently 14+ gb, so

    this
    >backup takes 1+ hours. I would like to get rid of that pause in our
    >availability. Any suggestions?

+ Reply to Thread