Oracle init<sid>. ora & other init*.ora files - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Oracle init<sid>. ora & other init*.ora files - Veritas Net Backup ; Has anyone else experienced this? I reviewed the EBU catalog while test with NetBackup for Oracle (7.3.4). The information that came back when I issued 'ebutool -job=2' (2-current job number) indicated that NetBackup was only backing up one (1) of ...

  1. Oracle init<sid>. ora & other init*.ora files

    Has anyone else experienced this?

    I reviewed the EBU catalog while test with NetBackup for Oracle (7.3.4).
    The information that came back when I issued 'ebutool -job=2' (2-current
    job number) indicated that NetBackup was only backing up one (1) of the init.ora
    parameter files.

    Inside of the initial init.ora parameter file there is a reference to
    two (2) other init*.ora files (initdef.ora and inittune.ora).

    I need to know how I can get these additional parameter files to backup with
    the original init.ora file.

  2. Re: Oracle init<sid>. ora & other init*.ora files

    Well, the simple method is to combine all the inits into one file. There
    is no real need to have multiple inits for one SID.

    "Mike Oswald" wrote:

    >Has anyone else experienced this?
    >
    >I reviewed the EBU catalog while test with NetBackup for Oracle (7.3.4).
    > The information that came back when I issued 'ebutool -job=2' (2-current
    >job number) indicated that NetBackup was only backing up one (1) of the

    init.ora
    >parameter files.
    >
    >Inside of the initial init.ora parameter file there is a reference

    >two (2) other init*.ora files (initdef.ora and inittune.ora).
    >
    >I need to know how I can get these additional parameter files to backup

    with
    >the original init.ora file.

  3. Re: Oracle init<sid>. ora & other init*.ora files

    Mike,

    Did you register the init files with the database?
    When you register it (or re-register it) have your register
    script/file look like this:

    register
    db_name = "CORPWEB1"
    pfile = "?/dbs/init@.ora","?/dbs/init@_com.ora","?/dbs/init@1.ora"
    log = "/u05/oracle/admin/corpweb/ebackups/log/corpweb1.log"

    That is what I had to do. I am just getting into using EBU since
    we are evaluating Veritas now but that is one of the things I was
    worried about also since, as you can see, we have 3 init files.
    We could definitely include 2 into one file but we need the third
    init file to remotely shutdown the remote instance of and OPS
    system. Anyway, I hope this helps. TO tell you the truth, I
    still haven't tried a backup of this particular database yet but
    will either today or Monday. Hope it works!

    "Mike Oswald" wrote:

    >Has anyone else experienced this?
    >
    >I reviewed the EBU catalog while test with NetBackup for Oracle (7.3.4).
    > The information that came back when I issued 'ebutool -job=2' (2-current
    >job number) indicated that NetBackup was only backing up one (1) of the

    init.ora
    >parameter files.
    >
    >Inside of the initial init.ora parameter file there is a reference

    >two (2) other init*.ora files (initdef.ora and inittune.ora).
    >
    >I need to know how I can get these additional parameter files to backup

    with
    >the original init.ora file.

  4. Re: Oracle init<sid>. ora & other init*.ora files

    FYI, I just did the backup this way and it works. All 3 init files
    were backed up.

    "Tim Meyer" wrote:

    >Mike,
    >
    > Did you register the init files with the database?
    >When you register it (or re-register it) have your register
    >script/file look like this:
    >
    >register
    >db_name = "CORPWEB1"
    >pfile = "?/dbs/init@.ora","?/dbs/init@_com.ora","?/dbs/init@1.ora"
    >log = "/u05/oracle/admin/corpweb/ebackups/log/corpweb1.log"
    >
    >That is what I had to do. I am just getting into using EBU since
    >we are evaluating Veritas now but that is one of the things I was
    >worried about also since, as you can see, we have 3 init files.
    >We could definitely include 2 into one file but we need the third
    >init file to remotely shutdown the remote instance of and OPS
    >system. Anyway, I hope this helps. TO tell you the truth, I
    >still haven't tried a backup of this particular database yet but
    >will either today or Monday. Hope it works!
    >
    >"Mike Oswald" wrote:
    >>
    >>Has anyone else experienced this?
    >>
    >>I reviewed the EBU catalog while test with NetBackup for Oracle (7.3.4).
    >> The information that came back when I issued 'ebutool -job=2' (2-current
    >>job number) indicated that NetBackup was only backing up one (1) of the

    >init.ora
    >>parameter files.
    >>
    >>Inside of the initial init.ora parameter file there is a reference

    >>two (2) other init*.ora files (initdef.ora and inittune.ora).
    >>
    >>I need to know how I can get these additional parameter files to backup

    >with
    >>the original init.ora file.

+ Reply to Thread