tuning INDEXLEVEL Netbackup Database - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on tuning INDEXLEVEL Netbackup Database - Veritas Net Backup ; We are using Netbackup 3.1.1 on several RS/6000 servers (IBM' unix). We have a class taking a lot (thousands) of small backups (a few hundreds files) that we must keep over a long period (several years) We have seen in ...

  1. tuning INDEXLEVEL Netbackup Database

    We are using Netbackup 3.1.1 on several RS/6000 servers (IBM' unix).

    We have a class taking a lot (thousands) of small backups (a few hundreds files) that we must keep over a long period (several years)

    We have seen in NB database that there is a file having a basename ' INDEXLEVEL ' and a dirname composed of '/usr/openv/netbackup/db/images' + containing a number ' 9 '.

    This INDEXLEVEL number seems to set the number of index files in directory /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images//INDEX for each backup image.

    Most of the backup images have an index file suffixed 1 and 2 containing data, and the others suffixed with 3,4,..9 are empty.

    DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF WE CAN CHANGE THE VALUE IN FILE 'INDEXLEVEL' so that all empty index files will be removed?

    Thanks,
    Edouard CALLENS
    system administrator

  2. Re: tuning INDEXLEVEL Netbackup Database

    =
    >+ containing a number ' 9 '.
    >
    >This INDEXLEVEL number seems to set the number of index files in =
    >directory /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images//INDEX for each backup

    =
    >image.
    >
    >Most of the backup images have an index file suffixed 1 and 2 containing

    =
    >data, and the others suffixed with 3,4,..9 are empty.
    >

    >DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF WE CAN CHANGE THE VALUE IN FILE 'INDEXLEVEL' so =
    >that all empty index files will be removed?
    >

    >Thanks,
    >Edouard CALLENS
    >system administrator
    >
    >------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF6800.2CE9ED00
    >

    > >http-equiv=3DContent-Type>

    We are using Netbackup 3.1.1 on =
    >several RS/6000=20
    >servers (IBM' unix).

    *

    *

    *

    We have a class taking a lot =

    *

    *

    *

    Most of the backup images have an =
    >index file=20
    >suffixed 1 and 2 containing data, and the others suffixed with 3,4,..9 =
    >are=20
    >empty.

    *

    *

    DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF WE CAN CHANGE =
    >THE VALUE IN=20
    >FILE 'INDEXLEVEL' so that all empty index files will be =
    >removed?

    *

    *

    *

    Thanks,

    Edouard CALLENS

    system =
    >administrator

    >------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BF6800.2CE9ED00--

    Documentation indicates the index files do not require much space. Indexing
    all clients to level 9 requires about 1.5% more space in the NetBacup database
    than if you do not use indexing for any clients.

    Anyway, command to change index level is:
    /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/index_clients dirlevels [client_name]
    where dirlevels is a value from 1 to 9 (default is 9).

    Changing the index level affects only future index creation and does not
    immediately create index files.

+ Reply to Thread