Netbackup status 41 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Netbackup status 41 - Veritas Net Backup ; We get intermitant and sometimes consistant status codes 41 on some of our backups. The server is a solaris 2.6 on a sun 4500 and the clients are either hpux 10.20 or windows NT. We are running Netbackup 3.1.1. Rebooting ...

  1. Netbackup status 41

    We get intermitant and sometimes consistant status codes 41 on
    some of our backups. The server is a solaris 2.6 on a sun 4500
    and the clients are either hpux 10.20 or windows NT. We are
    running Netbackup 3.1.1. Rebooting the server or re-running the
    backup will somtimes fix the problem. A network trace shows what
    appear to be retransmissions, and then the Netbackup server will
    send a reset. Anyone run into anything like this, and is there a
    fix.

    Thanks,
    Jim Krol

    james.krol@boeing.com

  2. Re: Netbackup status 41

    "Jim Krol" wrote:

    >We get intermitant and sometimes consistant status codes 41 on
    >some of our backups. The server is a solaris 2.6 on a sun 4500
    >and the clients are either hpux 10.20 or windows NT. We are
    >running Netbackup 3.1.1. Rebooting the server or re-running the
    >backup will somtimes fix the problem. A network trace shows what
    >appear to be retransmissions, and then the Netbackup server will
    >send a reset. Anyone run into anything like this, and is there a
    >fix.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jim Krol
    >
    >james.krol@boeing.com

    Jim,
    Hi!
    We are running 3.1.1 on an E3500 at 2.5.1 and we have a number of cllients,
    both SUN and HP.
    However, we are only getting a very similar problem on ONE of our HP 10.20
    boxes.
    Our error manifests itself as an error 40, but I believe the errors are virtually
    indentical.
    Our failure is always on the same sub-directory structure. One that has 1,000's
    of files and 4-500 files going in and out of the sub-directories, daily.
    We have a support contract with SUN and they have been unable to give any
    solutions to our problem that has been outstanding since October 1999!!!
    The lastest thought is to upgrade to 3.2, but I am concerned that the problem
    doesn't lie with the NetBackup software so much as how NetBackup handles
    this sort of situation.
    Is this any help?, and if so, can you, or anyone else, help us!
    Cheers,
    Mark

  3. Re: Netbackup status 41

    We are running Netbackup 3.2 and at current are still in the testing phase.

    We have configured a number of machines and find that one in particular a
    SUN
    Ultra 10, running Solaris 2.6 with all necessary patches continually
    complains with error 41. We are backing up a number of client's Sol 2.5.1
    - 2.6
    , HP-UX 10-20 and NT but only having problems with this one machine and
    error
    code. Has anybody found a fix that will resolve this problem ??

    Cheers
    Ryan Haines

    "Jim Krol" wrote:

    >We get intermitant and sometimes consistant status codes 41 on
    >some of our backups. The server is a solaris 2.6 on a sun 4500
    >and the clients are either hpux 10.20 or windows NT. We are
    >running Netbackup 3.1.1. Rebooting the server or re-running the
    >backup will somtimes fix the problem. A network trace shows what
    >appear to be retransmissions, and then the Netbackup server will
    >send a reset. Anyone run into anything like this, and is there a
    >fix.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jim Krol
    >
    >james.krol@boeing.com

  4. Re: Netbackup status 41

    Have you try to modify thes two parameters ?
    - Client Read Timeout, default value 300, try 1000 or more,
    - Communication Buffer Size, default value 32, try 16 or less (minimun 2)

    "Jim Krol" wrote:

    >We get intermitant and sometimes consistant status codes 41 on
    >some of our backups. The server is a solaris 2.6 on a sun 4500
    >and the clients are either hpux 10.20 or windows NT. We are
    >running Netbackup 3.1.1. Rebooting the server or re-running the
    >backup will somtimes fix the problem. A network trace shows what
    >appear to be retransmissions, and then the Netbackup server will
    >send a reset. Anyone run into anything like this, and is there a
    >fix.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jim Krol
    >
    >james.krol@boeing.com