How much media used? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on How much media used? - Veritas Net Backup ; I am used to using Legato backup systems, where each tape is individually labeled, and it showed how much room was remaining on each tape in a DLT. Now we have switched to Legato, and (a. I'm not exactly sure ...

  1. How much media used?

    I am used to using Legato backup systems, where each tape is individually
    labeled, and it showed how much room was remaining on each tape in a DLT.
    Now we have switched to Legato, and (a. I'm not exactly sure wether or not
    the tapes are labeled, and how to tell how much more space is available on
    each tape. Any help? Please email me direct. Thanks

  2. Re: How much media used?

    Hi there

    Answers to your questions:

    Yes in netbackup each tape IS labled, you can either automatically label
    media according to your own defined labeling rule, or you can manually labeling
    individual tape, this can be done via GUI of media management (xvmadm) or
    command line use bplable.

    And yes again, Netbackup shows how much is WRITTEN on a tape, then you should
    be able to work out how much is left on the tape. However, that parameter
    is not a precise measurement of the Capacity of the rest of the tape, as
    how much more can be written on a tape is dependant on many more factors
    such as compression etc... to see how much written, you run a report of media
    list.

    Now i'm sure you can find all the information described in NBU User's Guide,
    or SysAdmin Guide.

    Good luck!

    Regards

    WyattSong
    Veritas Software
    Technical Support Engineer
    wyatt.song@nsmg.veritas.com

    "S. K." wrote:

    >I am used to using Legato backup systems, where each tape is individually
    >labeled, and it showed how much room was remaining on each tape in a DLT.
    > Now we have switched to Legato, and (a. I'm not exactly sure wether or

    not
    >the tapes are labeled, and how to tell how much more space is available

    on
    >each tape. Any help? Please email me direct. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread