Space left in library - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Space left in library - Veritas Net Backup ; I have an AIT 20 tap library and was wondering if there is a way to tell what how much total tape space is left in the library. Otherwise I get the error message that the library has run out ...

  1. Space left in library

    I have an AIT 20 tap library and was wondering if there is a
    way to tell what how much total tape space is left in the
    library. Otherwise I get the error message that the library
    has run out of space. It would be nice to be able to tell how
    much is left to avoid missed backup.
    Thanks

  2. Re: Space left in library

    "Marc Summers" wrote:

    >I have an AIT 20 tap library and was wondering if there is a
    >way to tell what how much total tape space is left in the
    >library. Otherwise I get the error message that the library
    >has run out of space. It would be nice to be able to tell how
    >much is left to avoid missed backup.
    >Thanks

    Haven't seen one (besides looking at the tape log, to see how much is backup
    to it???), but you might want to set NetBackUp to have "mixed retation" periods
    on the same tape, the default is to have same retation periods on the same
    tape, otherwise it would require more tapes.

  3. Re: Space left in library

    "Marc Summers" wrote:

    >I have an AIT 20 tap library and was wondering if there is a
    >way to tell what how much total tape space is left in the
    >library. Otherwise I get the error message that the library
    >has run out of space. It would be nice to be able to tell how
    >much is left to avoid missed backup.
    >Thanks

    Hello,

    I agree that this is an area that could use some improvement. I
    have the same problem and issues. The only way I have found
    (and it is a bit manual for my taste) is to run a media summary
    report with a detail option. This shows me how many of my tapes
    are getting ready to expire, are full, frozen, etc.. From this
    information you can make a reasonable guess as to how many tapes
    you may really have.

    However, when you don't mix retention and you are running a mix
    of fulls, incrementals, and EOM's you don't really know if there
    are enough tapes available for the types of backups you run. I
    normally have to get a list of the tapes that are not full and
    then run an images on media report to find out which ones are
    being used for what type of backup schedule.

    Very time consuming for a product we bought to save us time.

    Oh well, I guess you cannot have it all .

    Christine Coopr

  4. Re: Space left in library

    There is a script in /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media
    that may be usefull. I am using a modified version of this
    script that sorts on status, retention level, and date last written.

    "Marc Summers" wrote:

    >I have an AIT 20 tap library and was wondering if there is a
    >way to tell what how much total tape space is left in the
    >library. Otherwise I get the error message that the library
    >has run out of space. It would be nice to be able to tell how
    >much is left to avoid missed backup.
    >Thanks

+ Reply to Thread