Multiplexing a Target Netware Client - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Multiplexing a Target Netware Client - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello All... Just starting using Netbackup and so far I'm quite impressed. I do have a couple of questions though... I'm trying to set up multiplexing for one of my larger servers. The master server is running Solaris 2.6 with ...

  1. Multiplexing a Target Netware Client

    Hello All...

    Just starting using Netbackup and so far I'm quite impressed. I do have
    a couple of questions though...

    I'm trying to set up multiplexing for one of my larger servers. The
    master server is running Solaris 2.6 with Netbackup 3.2 (326 patch). The
    client is a Netware box configured as a target client.

    1. Is there a way to multiplex a Target Netware server? (Admin book says
    no)

    2. What, specifically, is the difference b/w a target and a non-target
    client? (I swear I tried RTFM, but couldn't find anything specific)

  2. Re: Multiplexing a Target Netware Client

    Nathan Bragaw wrote:
    >Hello All...
    >
    >Just starting using Netbackup and so far I'm quite impressed. I do have
    >a couple of questions though...
    >
    >I'm trying to set up multiplexing for one of my larger servers. The
    >master server is running Solaris 2.6 with Netbackup 3.2 (326 patch). The
    >client is a Netware box configured as a target client.
    >
    >1. Is there a way to multiplex a Target Netware server? (Admin book says
    >no)
    >
    >2. What, specifically, is the difference b/w a target and a non-target
    >client? (I swear I tried RTFM, but couldn't find anything specific)

    Maybe some of the answers will help.

    1) The multiplexing feature is on the backup server side, and not the client
    side, so technically you should be able to get a few "streams" (look up "new
    stream" in the admin / user manual) of data off the Netware server, and the
    backup server should multiplex the data to the tape drive if multiplexing
    is turn on. Whether setting up the Netware client as a "Target" or "Non-target"
    client has some bearing on get multiple streams of data, this might be where
    the issue is. Be careful not to multi stream from same drive or drive sets,
    will kill performance.

    2)Diff. between "Target" & "Non target", I got a reply sometime back on this,
    see below. In all my set ups so far with Netware, I have used Non-target
    mode. Seems easier...

    A Target is a concept used by Novell SMS (Storage Management Services)which
    NetBackup interfaces with. The SMS views all services (e.g. print services,
    communication services, workstations) as Targets. The Target version requires
    admin to configure a Target @ the Novell server. Class type is always STANDARD...

    The Non-Target version of NetBackup allows administrator to configure using
    a PC running a Windows interface either NT or Win95/98. Class Type is always
    NETWARE...

+ Reply to Thread