Duplicating Backups - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Duplicating Backups - Veritas Net Backup ; We want to duplicate our weekly backup tapes but are finding it is taking an unacceptably long time to do this. Has anyone any suggestions as to how we might optimise duplication? Thanks, Dave....

  1. Duplicating Backups

    We want to duplicate our weekly backup tapes but are finding it is taking
    an unacceptably long time to do this. Has anyone any suggestions as to how
    we might optimise duplication?

    Thanks,

    Dave.

  2. Re: Duplicating Backups

    Which version of Netbackup are you running. We found that when
    we switched to 3.2 and were able to take advantage of Multiplexing
    that the time for duplicating was reduced.

    Pat Suddes

  3. Re: Duplicating Backups

    "Pat Suddes" wrote:

    >Which version of Netbackup are you running. We found that when
    >we switched to 3.2 and were able to take advantage of Multiplexing
    >that the time for duplicating was reduced.
    >
    >Pat Suddes

    Does that not cause a problem if you had to restore the duplicate from a
    non-Netbackup system, such as a TAR Restore?

    Jim Pehler

  4. Re: Duplicating Backups

    "Jim Pehler" wrote:

    >"Pat Suddes" wrote:
    >>
    >>Which version of Netbackup are you running. We found that when
    >>we switched to 3.2 and were able to take advantage of Multiplexing
    >>that the time for duplicating was reduced.
    >>
    >>Pat Suddes

    >Does that not cause a problem if you had to restore the duplicate from a
    >non-Netbackup system, such as a TAR Restore?
    >
    >Jim Pehler

    I believe it will cause a problem if you are trying to recover using TAR
    restores... I suppose, ideally, you would have NetBackup up and running before
    that point.

    Ralph.

  5. Re: Duplicating Backups

    "Ralph Schwarz" wrote:

    >"Jim Pehler" wrote:
    >>
    >>"Pat Suddes" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Which version of Netbackup are you running. We found that when
    >>>we switched to 3.2 and were able to take advantage of Multiplexing
    >>>that the time for duplicating was reduced.
    >>>
    >>>Pat Suddes

    >>Does that not cause a problem if you had to restore the duplicate from

    >>non-Netbackup system, such as a TAR Restore?
    >>
    >>Jim Pehler
    >>

    >I believe it will cause a problem if you are trying to recover using TAR
    >restores... I suppose, ideally, you would have NetBackup up and running

    before
    >that point.
    >
    >Ralph.

    We are running Version 3.1.1 , and also experience a long delay in duplicating
    tapes.

    how much of a perfomance gain was there??

+ Reply to Thread