Unix Netbackup with NT - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Unix Netbackup with NT - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, We recently installed NetBackup on Unix and are so far impressed with its functionality. We are considering using it to backup our NT servers as well. Does anybody out there use NetBackup for Unix to backup their NT servers? ...

  1. Unix Netbackup with NT

    Hi,

    We recently installed NetBackup on Unix and are so far impressed with
    its functionality. We are considering using it to backup our NT servers
    as well. Does anybody out there use NetBackup for Unix to backup their
    NT servers?

    Thank you!

  2. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    GP UNIX wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >We recently installed NetBackup on Unix and are so far impressed with
    >its functionality. We are considering using it to backup our NT servers
    >as well. Does anybody out there use NetBackup for Unix to backup their
    >NT servers?
    >
    >Thank you!

    We have been using NetBackup for a little over a year. The NB Servers are
    all Unix (Solaris) with Unix, NT, and Windows 95 clients.

    The main problem we had in configuring the NT clients was name resolution....we
    had problems if the NT client used DCHP instead of DNS.

    Please feel free to contact me offline.

    Rozanne

  3. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    GP UNIX wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >We recently installed NetBackup on Unix and are so far impressed with
    >its functionality. We are considering using it to backup our NT servers
    >as well. Does anybody out there use NetBackup for Unix to backup their
    >NT servers?
    >
    >Thank you!

    Hi,

    We backup all our NT servers using Netbackup, incluing SMS, SQL and Exchange.
    We have not been using it live for long but will try and help if you have
    any basic queries.

    Dave.

  4. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    GP UNIX wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >We recently installed NetBackup on Unix and are so far impressed with
    >its functionality. We are considering using it to backup our NT servers
    >as well. Does anybody out there use NetBackup for Unix to backup their
    >NT servers?
    >
    >Thank you!

    We have been backup NT Servers and work stations since July 1999 with no
    problems. We require and CPU that is using VERITAS to have a static IP address!
    Then we put that IP addrees and name in the hosts file located in the /etc
    dir. We have eliminated the requirement of having to use dns. There is
    a small amount of maintenance required to keep this hosts file accurate.
    Copy hosts file to other Netbackups servers. Good luck

  5. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    "John Schwierling" wrote:

    >GP UNIX wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>We recently installed NetBackup on Unix and are so far impressed with
    >>its functionality. We are considering using it to backup our NT servers
    >>as well. Does anybody out there use NetBackup for Unix to backup their
    >>NT servers?
    >>
    >>Thank you!
    >>

    >We have been backup NT Servers and work stations since July 1999 with no
    >problems. We require and CPU that is using VERITAS to have a static IP

    address!
    >Then we put that IP addrees and name in the hosts file located in the /etc
    >dir. We have eliminated the requirement of having to use dns. There is
    >a small amount of maintenance required to keep this hosts file accurate.
    >Copy hosts file to other Netbackups servers. Good luck

    Hi,

    I have a dumb question. Do I have to install the netbackup client software
    on the NT servers? How should I do it (I mean without having to buy another
    copy of Netbackup for Windows NT software) ?

    Thanks,

    Youhua.

  6. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    Yes
    You must have media server software for NT install on one of your NT
    server and point it to one of your unix master servers.

    GP UNIX wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We recently installed NetBackup on Unix and are so far impressed with
    > its functionality. We are considering using it to backup our NT servers
    > as well. Does anybody out there use NetBackup for Unix to backup their
    > NT servers?
    >
    > Thank you!

  7. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    Yes.

    For the last 3+ years I have been configuring NetBackup for Unix for my clients
    to backup NT in both static and DHCP environments. All is working quite
    well.

    -David Chapa
    DataStaff, Inc.

    GP UNIX wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >We recently installed NetBackup on Unix and are so far impressed with
    >its functionality. We are considering using it to backup our NT servers
    >as well. Does anybody out there use NetBackup for Unix to backup their
    >NT servers?
    >
    >Thank you!

  8. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    We are also backing up NT servers using a SUN Solaris Master and slaves, running
    Veritas Netbackup 3.2. You should research the ability to back up files
    that are 'open' during the scheduled backups for NT, since open files for
    backup by Veritas Netbackup under the NT platform are considered 'partially
    successful'. Here is an example of what shows up in the backup logs:
    TIME SERVER/CLIENT TEXT
    01/10/00 20:07:55 ap-bck01 ap-prd03 from client ap-prd03: WRN - can't open
    file: C:\WINNT\JET3F.tmp (WIN32 32: The process cannot
    access the file because it is being used by another
    process. )

    This kind of 'error' above that Veritas reports makes the overall backup
    process of the NT client complete with a 'partially successful' status.

    I guess my recommendation would be to test the heck out of it, and understand
    what files are not being backed up and why (i.e. does the application leave
    them in an open state? is this unavoidable somehow?), and would the server
    be ok with not having them restored if you ever had to perform a full recovery
    on the NT system. I don't know the answer to this, but some folks in our
    organization were looking into 3rd party extensions to handle these open
    files and maybe even Veritas has a more recent answer to this.

    Let me know if you come up with some additional information. We would be
    interested as well. Urban legend- supposedly someone had a scenario in which
    application data files were not being backed up for some time since the application
    left them open, the folks who looked at the backup logs did not understand
    the implication of this (i.e. maybe someone did not check the logs!) and
    when it came time to restore, they were hosed because not a recent backup
    existed!

    Just some food for thought- don't want to rain on your parade, but testing
    the backup and RESTORES is very important.

    Lisa Myers

    "David Chapa" wrote:

    >Yes.
    >
    >For the last 3+ years I have been configuring NetBackup for Unix for my

    clients
    >to backup NT in both static and DHCP environments. All is working quite
    >well.
    >
    >-David Chapa
    >DataStaff, Inc.
    >
    >GP UNIX wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>We recently installed NetBackup on Unix and are so far impressed with
    >>its functionality. We are considering using it to backup our NT servers
    >>as well. Does anybody out there use NetBackup for Unix to backup their
    >>NT servers?
    >>
    >>Thank you!

  9. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    True statement Lisa.

    Version 3.2 supports OTM (Open Transaction Manager) which allows you to manage
    the open files on NT with a little more finesse. But it is still suggested
    to use the exclude lists to help avoid something such as what you described.

    Test, test, test...ask for references too!

    -David Chapa
    david@datastaff.com
    "Lisa Myers" wrote:

    >We are also backing up NT servers using a SUN Solaris Master and slaves,

    running
    >Veritas Netbackup 3.2. You should research the ability to back up files
    >that are 'open' during the scheduled backups for NT, since open files for
    >backup by Veritas Netbackup under the NT platform are considered 'partially
    >successful'. Here is an example of what shows up in the backup logs:
    > TIME SERVER/CLIENT TEXT
    >01/10/00 20:07:55 ap-bck01 ap-prd03 from client ap-prd03: WRN - can't open
    > file: C:\WINNT\JET3F.tmp (WIN32 32: The process cannot
    > access the file because it is being used by another
    > process. )
    >
    >This kind of 'error' above that Veritas reports makes the overall backup
    >process of the NT client complete with a 'partially successful' status.
    >
    >I guess my recommendation would be to test the heck out of it, and understand
    >what files are not being backed up and why (i.e. does the application leave
    >them in an open state? is this unavoidable somehow?), and would the server
    >be ok with not having them restored if you ever had to perform a full recovery
    >on the NT system. I don't know the answer to this, but some folks in our
    >organization were looking into 3rd party extensions to handle these open
    >files and maybe even Veritas has a more recent answer to this.
    >
    >Let me know if you come up with some additional information. We would be
    >interested as well. Urban legend- supposedly someone had a scenario in

    which
    >application data files were not being backed up for some time since the

    application
    >left them open, the folks who looked at the backup logs did not understand
    >the implication of this (i.e. maybe someone did not check the logs!) and
    >when it came time to restore, they were hosed because not a recent backup
    >existed!
    >
    >Just some food for thought- don't want to rain on your parade, but testing
    >the backup and RESTORES is very important.
    >
    >Lisa Myers
    >

    >"David Chapa" wrote:
    >>
    >>Yes.
    >>
    >>For the last 3+ years I have been configuring NetBackup for Unix for my

    >clients
    >>to backup NT in both static and DHCP environments. All is working quite
    >>well.
    >>
    >>-David Chapa
    >>DataStaff, Inc.
    >>
    >>GP UNIX wrote:
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>We recently installed NetBackup on Unix and are so far impressed with
    >>>its functionality. We are considering using it to backup our NT servers
    >>>as well. Does anybody out there use NetBackup for Unix to backup their
    >>>NT servers?
    >>>
    >>>Thank you!

  10. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    I turned off OTM - it seemed to be causing some failures of backup - I am using
    Netbackup for Unix and backing up NT servers with it seemingly ok even with
    "partial success" - can't seem to find good information on OTM and its config - any
    help anyone??

    --
    Joe Mannion
    Dept of Public Safety

  11. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    I have ran into this problem as well. It started with an older version
    of netbackup on a unix server. We tried the software from St. Bernard
    Software Open File Manager. www.stbernard.com It seemed to fairly well
    with very few problems. Maybe this software will do what you need.

    Jim Saunders

    Joseph Mannion wrote:

> [...]

    > > >on the NT system. I don't know the answer to this, but some folks in our
    > > >organization were looking into 3rd party extensions to handle these open
    > > >files and maybe even Veritas has a more recent answer to this.
    > > >
    > > >Let me know if you come up with some additional information. We would be
    > > >interested as well. Urban legend- supposedly someone had a scenario in

    > > which
    > > >application data files were not being backed up for some time since the

    > > application
    > > >left them open, the folks who looked at the backup logs did not understand
    > > >the implication of this (i.e. maybe someone did not check the logs!) and
    > > >when it came time to restore, they were hosed because not a recent backup
    > > >existed!
    > > >
    > > >Just some food for thought- don't want to rain on your parade, but testing
    > > >the backup and RESTORES is very important.

  12. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    Have you tried modifying the registry settings for OTM? We have experienced far
    fewer problems since changing

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Con fig\OTM_Cache_Size_Init
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Con fig\OTM_Cache_Size_Max

    both to 0. This forces OTM to dynamically resize its cache. Not all of our
    machines have needed this so far; we applied the change on systems where OTM
    errors showed up in the logs and they seem to have quieted down.

    jm

    --

    Jim Moechnig James.P.Moechnig@syntegra.com
    Desktop Systems Administrator phone: (651) 415-4711

  13. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    Wonderful information guys! I just love working with smart people! I like
    this site! Keep on sharing the good stuff!
    Lisa Myers

    Jim Moechnig wrote:

    >Have you tried modifying the registry settings for OTM? We have experienced

    far
    >fewer problems since changing
    >
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Con fig\OTM_Cache_Size_Init
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Con fig\OTM_Cache_Size_Max
    >
    >both to 0. This forces OTM to dynamically resize its cache. Not all of

    our
    >machines have needed this so far; we applied the change on systems where

    OTM
    >errors showed up in the logs and they seem to have quieted down.
    >
    >jm
    >
    >Joseph Mannion wrote:
    >>
    >> I turned off OTM - it seemed to be causing some failures of backup - I

    am using
    >> Netbackup for Unix and backing up NT servers with it seemingly ok even

    with
    >> "partial success" - can't seem to find good information on OTM and its

    config - any
    >> help anyone??
    >>
    >> David Chapa wrote:
    >>
    >> > True statement Lisa.
    >> >
    >> > Version 3.2 supports OTM (Open Transaction Manager) which allows you

    to manage
    >> > the open files on NT with a little more finesse. But it is still suggested
    >> > to use the exclude lists to help avoid something such as what you described.
    >> >
    >> > Test, test, test...ask for references too!
    >> >
    >> > -David Chapa
    >> > david@datastaff.com

    >> > running

    files

    for

    open

    cannot

    understand

    leave

    server

    recovery

    in our

    open

    be

    in
    >> > which

    the
    >> > application

    and

    backup

    testing

    my

    quite

    with

    servers

    their

    >> --
    >> Joe Mannion
    >> Dept of Public Safety
    >> State of Alaska
    >> Ph: (907)269-5703
    >> Fax907)269-5617

    >--
    >
    >Jim Moechnig James.P.Moechnig@syntegra.com
    >Desktop Systems Administrator phone: (651) 415-4711
    >Syntegra USA, Inc. pager: (612) 510-1376

  14. Re: Unix Netbackup with NT

    Has anyone looked into a product called Double-Take by NSI Software to handle
    the open files issue?

    Jim Moechnig wrote:

    >Have you tried modifying the registry settings for OTM? We have experienced

    far
    >fewer problems since changing
    >
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Con fig\OTM_Cache_Size_Init
    >HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Con fig\OTM_Cache_Size_Max
    >
    >both to 0. This forces OTM to dynamically resize its cache. Not all of

    our
    >machines have needed this so far; we applied the change on systems where

    OTM
    >errors showed up in the logs and they seem to have quieted down.
    >
    >jm
    >
    >Joseph Mannion wrote:
    >>
    >> I turned off OTM - it seemed to be causing some failures of backup - I

    am using
    >> Netbackup for Unix and backing up NT servers with it seemingly ok even

    with
    >> "partial success" - can't seem to find good information on OTM and its

    config - any
    >> help anyone??
    >>
    >> David Chapa wrote:
    >>
    >> > True statement Lisa.
    >> >
    >> > Version 3.2 supports OTM (Open Transaction Manager) which allows you

    to manage
    >> > the open files on NT with a little more finesse. But it is still suggested
    >> > to use the exclude lists to help avoid something such as what you described.
    >> >
    >> > Test, test, test...ask for references too!
    >> >
    >> > -David Chapa
    >> > david@datastaff.com

    >> > running

    files

    for

    open

    cannot

    understand

    leave

    server

    recovery

    in our

    open

    be

    in
    >> > which

    the
    >> > application

    and

    backup

    testing

    my

    quite

    with

    servers

    their

    >> --
    >> Joe Mannion
    >> Dept of Public Safety
    >> State of Alaska
    >> Ph: (907)269-5703
    >> Fax907)269-5617

    >--
    >
    >Jim Moechnig James.P.Moechnig@syntegra.com
    >Desktop Systems Administrator phone: (651) 415-4711
    >Syntegra USA, Inc. pager: (612) 510-1376

+ Reply to Thread