NBUP Volume Snapshots Not Deleting - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on NBUP Volume Snapshots Not Deleting - Veritas Net Backup ; Earlier today, I had a user tell me he found a directory called C:\~vspcache that was taking up over 24GB of his hard drive. When we checked inside the directory, we found files, the timestamps of which corresponded to the ...

  1. NBUP Volume Snapshots Not Deleting

    Earlier today, I had a user tell me he found a directory called C:\~vspcache
    that was taking up over 24GB of his hard drive. When we checked inside the
    directory, we found files, the timestamps of which corresponded to the backups
    this user ran using NBUP. The log files for his backups end with these lines:

    "Failed to delete snapshot for volume c: in 100 seconds (Error 1393)
    Failed to delete snapshot for volume c: in 100 seconds (Error 1393)"

    I couldn't find anything in the knowledge base either for this error message
    or the error number. Wondering if anyone's ever run into this before or has
    any idea what we need to do in order to get this user's snapshots deleting
    automatically.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: NBUP Volume Snapshots Not Deleting

    Unfortunately, I have no solution but I have exectly the same issue so if
    anybody have a sloution please post ASAP. Thanks

    "AndyC" wrote:

    >Earlier today, I had a user tell me he found a directory called C:\~vspcache
    >that was taking up over 24GB of his hard drive. When we checked inside the
    >directory, we found files, the timestamps of which corresponded to the backups
    >this user ran using NBUP. The log files for his backups end with these lines:
    >

    >"Failed to delete snapshot for volume c: in 100 seconds (Error 1393)
    >Failed to delete snapshot for volume c: in 100 seconds (Error 1393)"
    >
    >I couldn't find anything in the knowledge base either for this error message
    >or the error number. Wondering if anyone's ever run into this before or

    has
    >any idea what we need to do in order to get this user's snapshots deleting
    >automatically.
    >
    >Thanks in advance!

  3. Re: NBUP Volume Snapshots Not Deleting

    There have been ongoing issues through all the various versions of
    NetBackup with clients not always having the snapshot destroyed
    properly. There have been varying levels of success in dealing with it
    but none are automatic, they all required various amounts of user
    intervention to remove the snapshots. Sometimes rebooting and deleting
    the snapshot files is enough to get them working properly again. In
    some instances it is antivirus software that holds open the snap so it
    cannot be erased. You can exclude the snap files from being scanned by
    antivirus and sometimes that helps. In some cases, if you cannot
    reboot there is 3rd party software that you can use to release the
    snap and allow the files to be deleted. Below are just a few technotes
    from VRTS on problems with removal of VSP or OTM snapshots:

    Jeff

    On 26 May 2004 16:19:32 -0500, "AndyC" wrote:

    >Earlier today, I had a user tell me he found a directory called C:\~vspcache
    >that was taking up over 24GB of his hard drive. When we checked inside the
    >directory, we found files, the timestamps of which corresponded to the backups
    >this user ran using NBUP. The log files for his backups end with these lines:
    >

    >"Failed to delete snapshot for volume c: in 100 seconds (Error 1393)
    >Failed to delete snapshot for volume c: in 100 seconds (Error 1393)"
    >
    >I couldn't find anything in the knowledge base either for this error message
    >or the error number. Wondering if anyone's ever run into this before or has
    >any idea what we need to do in order to get this user's snapshots deleting
    >automatically.
    >
    >Thanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread