Help with backup plan. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Help with backup plan. - Veritas Net Backup ; I've got a Win2K server with roughly 175-225 gigs of data to be backed up. It has a DDS4 w/ autoloader so I can either do 7 tapes plus 1 cleaning tape, or fill it with 8 tapes and run ...

  1. Help with backup plan.

    I've got a Win2K server with roughly 175-225 gigs of data to be backed up.
    It has a DDS4 w/ autoloader so I can either do 7 tapes plus 1 cleaning tape,
    or fill it with 8 tapes and run the cleaning jobs manually.

    I am trying to figure out the best way to back this machine up. I'd like
    to do either daily incrementals or an incremental on Tues and Thur and a
    full on Sat or something similar to that. Since I am getting close to capacity
    of the tape drive (140 gigs uncompressed) I am afraid of running out of room
    for incremental backups on the same set of tapes.

    What would be the ideal tape rotation and media set configuration for what
    I've got?

    JT

  2. Re: Help with backup plan.

    You may want to consider posting in another group.. this one is for Veritas
    Netbackup Professional, which is a disk-based backup tool for large
    installations (now that the min license is 100 seats!)

    Anyway.. here's my stab at an answer.

    There is no reason you can't spread the backup set across more than one
    week. The trade-off is the number of sets you have to restore in case of a
    disaster. A factor you didn't post is how much of the 175-225 gigs change.

    How about
    Full Backup the First Sunday of the month
    Differential the other Sundays
    Incremental Mon-Sat.

    Worst case is a Saturday Crash... Full, Diff, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
    restore.

    I would increase my differentials until it fills a tape.. that way you may
    not have to go to incremental to recover.

    Another option is to use a mirror disk (300GB disks are about $350 now!) for
    your monthly and use tape for the others.

    Robert

    "J Tilley" wrote in message

    > I've got a Win2K server with roughly 175-225 gigs of data to be backed up.
    > It has a DDS4 w/ autoloader so I can either do 7 tapes plus 1 cleaning

    tape,
    > or fill it with 8 tapes and run the cleaning jobs manually.
    >
    > I am trying to figure out the best way to back this machine up. I'd like
    > to do either daily incrementals or an incremental on Tues and Thur and a
    > full on Sat or something similar to that. Since I am getting close to

    capacity
    > of the tape drive (140 gigs uncompressed) I am afraid of running out of

    room
    > for incremental backups on the same set of tapes.
    >
    > What would be the ideal tape rotation and media set configuration for what
    > I've got?
    >
    > JT

  3. Re: Help with backup plan.

    Thanks for the response... I realized that I posted in the wrong group.

    The file system does not change a lot.. so does this sound like it would
    work:

    Full Backup - First Friday of month. (8 tapes part of its own media set).
    Incremental - Mon - Thur. (7 tapes part of its own media set, plus one cleaning
    tape for daily cleanings)
    Diff - 2nd through 5th Friday (8 tapes part of its own media set).

    Full backups would be the only ones kept offsite.

    All using backup exec. Does this sound about right?

    "Robert Eden" wrote:
    >You may want to consider posting in another group.. this one is for Veritas
    >Netbackup Professional, which is a disk-based backup tool for large
    >installations (now that the min license is 100 seats!)
    >
    >Anyway.. here's my stab at an answer.
    >
    >There is no reason you can't spread the backup set across more than one
    >week. The trade-off is the number of sets you have to restore in case of

    >disaster. A factor you didn't post is how much of the 175-225 gigs change.
    >
    >How about
    > Full Backup the First Sunday of the month
    > Differential the other Sundays
    > Incremental Mon-Sat.
    >
    >Worst case is a Saturday Crash... Full, Diff, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri
    >restore.
    >
    >I would increase my differentials until it fills a tape.. that way you may
    >not have to go to incremental to recover.
    >
    >Another option is to use a mirror disk (300GB disks are about $350 now!)

    for
    >your monthly and use tape for the others.
    >
    >Robert
    >
    >"J Tilley" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I've got a Win2K server with roughly 175-225 gigs of data to be backed

    up.
    >> It has a DDS4 w/ autoloader so I can either do 7 tapes plus 1 cleaning

    >tape,
    >> or fill it with 8 tapes and run the cleaning jobs manually.
    >>
    >> I am trying to figure out the best way to back this machine up. I'd like
    >> to do either daily incrementals or an incremental on Tues and Thur and

    >> full on Sat or something similar to that. Since I am getting close to

    >capacity
    >> of the tape drive (140 gigs uncompressed) I am afraid of running out of

    >room
    >> for incremental backups on the same set of tapes.
    >>
    >> What would be the ideal tape rotation and media set configuration for

    what
    >> I've got?
    >>
    >> JT

  4. Re: Help with backup plan.

    "J Tilley" wrote in message

    > Thanks for the response... I realized that I posted in the wrong group.
    >
    > The file system does not change a lot.. so does this sound like it would
    > work:
    >
    > Full Backup - First Friday of month. (8 tapes part of its own media set).
    > Incremental - Mon - Thur. (7 tapes part of its own media set, plus one

    cleaning
    > tape for daily cleanings)
    > Diff - 2nd through 5th Friday (8 tapes part of its own media set).
    >
    > Full backups would be the only ones kept offsite.

    That sounds good... make sure have at least 2 sets of each, so you never
    overwrite the "active" media.

    If you grow some more, you can probably split your disks into multiple
    monthly sets. The Diff/Incr may still be able to hold all the disks.

    It's amazing how fast disks have grown.. too bad tapes have not kept up.

    Robert

  5. Re: Help with backup plan.

    Hi All,

    NO Server Operating SYSTEMS can be Backed up by using
    NetBackup Professional Client.

    Then how come you all are sharing your knowledge.
    Let me know,

    REGARDS

    Sethu

    "Robert Eden" wrote:
    >"J Tilley" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Thanks for the response... I realized that I posted in the wrong group.
    >>
    >> The file system does not change a lot.. so does this sound like it would
    >> work:
    >>
    >> Full Backup - First Friday of month. (8 tapes part of its own media set).
    >> Incremental - Mon - Thur. (7 tapes part of its own media set, plus one

    >cleaning
    >> tape for daily cleanings)
    >> Diff - 2nd through 5th Friday (8 tapes part of its own media set).
    >>
    >> Full backups would be the only ones kept offsite.

    >That sounds good... make sure have at least 2 sets of each, so you never
    >overwrite the "active" media.
    >
    >If you grow some more, you can probably split your disks into multiple
    >monthly sets. The Diff/Incr may still be able to hold all the disks.
    >
    >It's amazing how fast disks have grown.. too bad tapes have not kept up.
    >
    >Robert

+ Reply to Thread