Missing Disc space? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Missing Disc space? - Veritas Net Backup ; I am running NBUP 3.5 and it is configured to store the files and the catalog on a 75Gb (formatted capacity) hard drive. Nothing else uses this drive - the back-up file are the only things on it - even ...

  1. Missing Disc space?

    I am running NBUP 3.5 and it is configured to store the files and the catalog
    on a 75Gb (formatted capacity) hard drive. Nothing else uses this drive
    - the back-up file are the only things on it - even the Recycle bin is empty.

    My problem is that the Console is giving a misleading report of the disc
    usage. It tells me that:
    Free space: 19.16Gb
    Bytes Shared: 7.77Gb
    Bytes Unique: 28.38Gb
    The total of this is 55.31Gb. Even allowing for the space required by the
    catalog, I am "missing" around 15Gb.

    On checking the file size (as reported by Explorer) of the Files folder,
    this tells me that it is 50.1Gb, whereas the console tells me that the Total
    bytes should be in the region of 36.15GB (Shared + Unique) - there's my "missing"
    15Gb or so.

    Is this normal? If not, what can I do about it?

    Thanks
    Phil Cooling

  2. Re: Missing Disc space?

    Are you allowing for the three copies of the catalog?

    "Phil Cooling" wrote:

    >I am running NBUP 3.5 and it is configured to store the files and the catalog
    >on a 75Gb (formatted capacity) hard drive. Nothing else uses this drive
    >- the back-up file are the only things on it - even the Recycle bin is empty.
    >
    >My problem is that the Console is giving a misleading report of the disc
    >usage. It tells me that:
    >Free space: 19.16Gb
    >Bytes Shared: 7.77Gb
    >Bytes Unique: 28.38Gb
    >The total of this is 55.31Gb. Even allowing for the space required by the
    >catalog, I am "missing" around 15Gb.
    >
    >On checking the file size (as reported by Explorer) of the Files folder,
    >this tells me that it is 50.1Gb, whereas the console tells me that the Total
    >bytes should be in the region of 36.15GB (Shared + Unique) - there's my

    "missing"
    >15Gb or so.
    >
    >Is this normal? If not, what can I do about it?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Phil Cooling

  3. Re: Missing Disc space?

    Phil,

    There is another possibility to your missing space. There is a database
    check utility available from Veritas Support, you need to actually call them,
    that will allow you to delete orphaned files and repair the database. This
    usually recovers quite a bit of disk space, especially if you have experienced
    catalog crashes recently.

    Kent

    "Phil Cooling" wrote:

    >I am running NBUP 3.5 and it is configured to store the files and the catalog
    >on a 75Gb (formatted capacity) hard drive. Nothing else uses this drive
    >- the back-up file are the only things on it - even the Recycle bin is empty.
    >
    >My problem is that the Console is giving a misleading report of the disc
    >usage. It tells me that:
    >Free space: 19.16Gb
    >Bytes Shared: 7.77Gb
    >Bytes Unique: 28.38Gb
    >The total of this is 55.31Gb. Even allowing for the space required by the
    >catalog, I am "missing" around 15Gb.
    >
    >On checking the file size (as reported by Explorer) of the Files folder,
    >this tells me that it is 50.1Gb, whereas the console tells me that the Total
    >bytes should be in the region of 36.15GB (Shared + Unique) - there's my

    "missing"
    >15Gb or so.
    >
    >Is this normal? If not, what can I do about it?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Phil Cooling

+ Reply to Thread