Thoughts on Netbackup Pro - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Netbackup Pro - Veritas Net Backup ; We having been evaluating Netbackup Pro for about 5 months now with about 200 clients (XP and W2K). I am curious how others like the product today and what is the largest installation out there. We have had problems with ...

  1. Thoughts on Netbackup Pro

    We having been evaluating Netbackup Pro for about 5 months now with about
    200 clients (XP and W2K). I am curious how others like the product today
    and what is the largest installation out there. We have had problems with
    the catalog, client upgrades, and client impact during backups but actually
    have seen a steady mprovement of the product from the 3.10 to the 3.51 releases.
    But I see much needed improvements for the product in the areas I mentioned
    above. I am curious what others think about the product at this current
    time with the most recent release, 3.51. Do you like the product? Have you
    purchased it and if so, for how many clients? How many clients are you backing
    up today? What is your server hardware configuration? What is the biggest
    problem you have seen with the product? What is the biggest benefit you
    have seen with the product? Finally, would you recommend the product to others.
    Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    Mark Jessup
    Northwestern Mutual
    markjessup@northwesternmutual.com

  2. Re: Thoughts on Netbackup Pro

    Hi Mark,

    I make some test with NetBackup Pro in version 3.50.05 and 3.51 but only
    on the recovery functionnality and upgrade.

    1) The upgrade from version 3.1 to 3.50.05 doesn't work and the solution
    was to install directly the version 3.50.05.

    2) Disaster recovery with bootable CD for NT 4.0 Workstation works for us
    with the french version.

    3) Disaster recovery with bootable CD for 2000 Professionnal client doesn't
    works for us with the french version.

    The solution, i found to recover the 2000 Professionnal client is to start
    disaster recovery with a NT CD DR (reinstall minimum OS) and at the reboot
    when executing recover.exe put the 2000 Professionnal CD DR. After recovering,
    the 2000 Professionnal system seem to be clean and operationnal.

    I'm still waiting for clear response from Veritas suppport about point 1
    and 3.

    Regards.

    Richard.

    "Mark Jessup" wrote:

    >We having been evaluating Netbackup Pro for about 5 months now with about
    >200 clients (XP and W2K). I am curious how others like the product today
    >and what is the largest installation out there. We have had problems with
    >the catalog, client upgrades, and client impact during backups but actually
    >have seen a steady mprovement of the product from the 3.10 to the 3.51 releases.
    > But I see much needed improvements for the product in the areas I mentioned
    >above. I am curious what others think about the product at this current
    >time with the most recent release, 3.51. Do you like the product? Have

    you
    >purchased it and if so, for how many clients? How many clients are you backing
    >up today? What is your server hardware configuration? What is the biggest
    >problem you have seen with the product? What is the biggest benefit you
    >have seen with the product? Finally, would you recommend the product to

    others.
    >Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    >
    >Mark Jessup
    >Northwestern Mutual
    >markjessup@northwesternmutual.com

+ Reply to Thread