I have some problems with an installation of Veritas NetBackup Pro. This is
what has happened so far:

I bought “VERITAS NETBACKUP PRO CX ENTRY SERVER + 5 CLIENTS version 3.01”,
installed it, created a profile and a client installation package. I tried
the package out on two clients, and everything worked just fine. The server
is running Windows NT 4.0 SP 5, the clients Windows NT 4.0 SP 5 or Windows
2000 Pro SP 2.

A few weeks later, I ordered licenses for 25 more clients. But when I got
those licenses, they were version 3.1, and Veritas had changed the license
key format.

After some discussion with my retailer, I got an upgrade for the server to
3.1. I upgraded the server, the existing clients, installed the new licenses
and created a new client installation package. The problems started.

It became hard to stop the server service. Most of the time, the service
got into some kind of zombie-state: It reported itself as running, but you
could not restart or stop the service nor contact the server from the clients
or administration console.

Now, if I tried to install a new client from the client installation package,
the installation program worked without any problem.

If I try to start a backup, I get the following error message:

“Failed to get client workstation information from the server.
Record no longer exists.
Please contact your NetBackup Pro administrator if you need more information
(0xC004200D).”

At this time, I check the Console, and there I can see the new client, but
it has not been assigned to a profile. If I manually assign it to a profile,
a new error message appears at the client:
“You have never connected to the server, and you must do this before you
can perform this operation.
Would you like to connect now? [Yes] [No]”

When I answer the question with “No”, it disappears and nothing happens.
And if I click “Yes”, the server is contacted, but the following error message
appears:
“Failed to start the backup.
Client Installation not completed
Please contact your NetBackup Pro administrator for more information”

If you have any idea of how to solve this, I would be very greatful.