One laptop - multiple users - how to make it work - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on One laptop - multiple users - how to make it work - Veritas Net Backup ; We run NT4 (sp5) in a domain model, but on laptops, we also provide a local user account, so when away from the office for a long time, user can still make use of laptop with no worry about domain ...

  1. One laptop - multiple users - how to make it work

    We run NT4 (sp5) in a domain model, but on laptops, we also provide a local
    user account, so when away from the office for a long time, user can still
    make use of laptop with no worry about domain access (this is how it was
    designed). Currently evaluating Netbackup pro, but it only seems to back
    up under the account it was installed under (the Admin guide, p25 states
    (Any logged in user can initiate a backup from a Client Computer if the netbackup
    pro administrator has granted backup rights" - I have but any other user
    (including domain admin) gets bounced with "The currently logged in user
    does not have sufficient rights to perform this operation" - anyone any ideas,
    or do I go looking for another product (pity as reasonably impressed by what
    I've seen so far)

  2. Re: One laptop - multiple users - how to make it work

    That error sounds suspiciously like an NT error.

    Make sure the person that logs on to the machine has local admin rights!

  3. Re: One laptop - multiple users - how to make it work

    Ken,

    If the backup is initiated from the console (manually or via a scheduled
    profile), the backup will run on the client machine, regardless of who is
    (or who is not) logged on at the time. The restriction that you have found
    pertains only to client initiated requests.

    John

    "Ken Haley" wrote:

    >We run NT4 (sp5) in a domain model, but on laptops, we also provide a local
    >user account, so when away from the office for a long time, user can still
    >make use of laptop with no worry about domain access (this is how it was
    >designed). Currently evaluating Netbackup pro, but it only seems to back
    >up under the account it was installed under (the Admin guide, p25 states
    >(Any logged in user can initiate a backup from a Client Computer if the

    netbackup
    >pro administrator has granted backup rights" - I have but any other user
    >(including domain admin) gets bounced with "The currently logged in user
    >does not have sufficient rights to perform this operation" - anyone any

    ideas,
    >or do I go looking for another product (pity as reasonably impressed by

    what
    >I've seen so far)

  4. Re: One laptop - multiple users - how to make it work

    Oh, that's a helpful feature.

    "John Anderson" wrote:

    >Ken,
    >
    >If the backup is initiated from the console (manually or via a scheduled
    >profile), the backup will run on the client machine, regardless of who is
    >(or who is not) logged on at the time. The restriction that you have found
    >pertains only to client initiated requests.
    >
    >John
    >
    >"Ken Haley" wrote:
    >>
    >>We run NT4 (sp5) in a domain model, but on laptops, we also provide a local
    >>user account, so when away from the office for a long time, user can still
    >>make use of laptop with no worry about domain access (this is how it was
    >>designed). Currently evaluating Netbackup pro, but it only seems to back
    >>up under the account it was installed under (the Admin guide, p25 states
    >>(Any logged in user can initiate a backup from a Client Computer if the

    >netbackup
    >>pro administrator has granted backup rights" - I have but any other user
    >>(including domain admin) gets bounced with "The currently logged in user
    >>does not have sufficient rights to perform this operation" - anyone any

    >ideas,
    >>or do I go looking for another product (pity as reasonably impressed by

    >what
    >>I've seen so far)

+ Reply to Thread