Thoughts on Netbackup Profession - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Thoughts on Netbackup Profession - Veritas Net Backup ; We looking at evaluating Netbackup Professional and I am wondering what others think about the product. How did it install? How is the performance? Is it scalable? Is it reliable? Any major bugs or issues that you came across? Is ...

  1. Thoughts on Netbackup Profession

    We looking at evaluating Netbackup Professional and I am wondering what others
    think about the product. How did it install? How is the performance? Is
    it scalable? Is it reliable? Any major bugs or issues that you came across?
    Is backing up to disk only an issue? How is the documentation? How is support?
    Did you look at other similar products and how do they compare to Netbackup
    Pro? And finally, would you recommend Netbackup Pro for a large implementation
    (+5000 deskop/laptops)?

    Any information anyone could provide would be very helpful.

    Thanks!

    Mark Jessup
    Systems Coordinator - Enterprise Computing
    Northwestern Mutual Life
    (414) 665-3968
    markjessup@northwesternmutual.com

  2. Re: Thoughts on Netbackup Profession

    Mark,

    We've been using NetBackup Pro for about 2 months now, backing up about 25
    notebooks. Here are the pros and cons so far:

    Pros

    1. Quick, easy client installation. The users can do it themselves, typically.
    There's always one.

    2. Users have the power to backup and restore their own files (you can either
    turn this on or off).

    3. It saves tons of disk space by never backing up the same file twice across
    all client machines being backed up.

    4. It stores files in a quiet, secure way. It renames every file it backs
    up into some odd scheme that only the catalog knows exactly what file it
    is.

    Cons

    1. Extemely slow performance when a backup is running. Whatever Veritas
    tells you to resolve this doesn't work. I've asked some people to keep their
    notebooks here one night a week overnight to back it up.

    2. Intermittently, when the services are stopped on the server (through
    its own console), a catalog repair must be initiated (1-6 hours, depending
    on the size of your catalog) to start them again.

    3. Lack of control of options set on the client-side from the administrative
    console. There are a variety of options the user can set on their end which
    can't be modified from anywhere else.

    4. Veritas' support on this product is awful. I contacted them about the
    slow performance. At first they said OF COURSE performance WILL be affected
    when it's running (as if I were a moron), but after reading back to them
    what they wrote on their web site in regards to the product info about performance
    not being affected, they told me to turn off the virus scanning and that
    was all they could come up with.

    I hope my input helps.

    Ken

    "Mark Jessup" wrote:

    >We looking at evaluating Netbackup Professional and I am wondering what

    others
    >think about the product. How did it install? How is the performance? Is
    >it scalable? Is it reliable? Any major bugs or issues that you came across?
    >Is backing up to disk only an issue? How is the documentation? How is support?
    >Did you look at other similar products and how do they compare to Netbackup
    >Pro? And finally, would you recommend Netbackup Pro for a large implementation
    >(+5000 deskop/laptops)?
    >
    >Any information anyone could provide would be very helpful.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Mark Jessup
    >Systems Coordinator - Enterprise Computing
    >Northwestern Mutual Life
    >(414) 665-3968
    >markjessup@northwesternmutual.com

  3. Re: Thoughts on Netbackup Profession

    > 4. Veritas' support on this product is awful. I contacted them about the
    > slow performance.

    The slow performance was in which terms (system or networking ) ?

    El zorro

  4. Re: Thoughts on Netbackup Profession

    Client. All my client machines run Windows NT 4.0/SP5.

    The CPU utilization stays at 100% for the duration of the backup.

    "zorro" wrote:

    >> 4. Veritas' support on this product is awful. I contacted them about

    the
    >> slow performance.

    >The slow performance was in which terms (system or networking ) ?
    >
    >El zorro

  5. Re: Thoughts on Netbackup Profession

    Ok the size of the backup per clients and mode of backup (scheduled ,full
    ,etc...) .
    CPU utilization 100 % from the client or the server ?
    event logs (server & client) application and system reflects any instability
    caused to the system ?
    Backup in the same domain and subnet ?
    Antivirus software (mode of scanning ) ?
    Server OS ?
    Type of backup full or only changes ?
    Numbers of profile and clients running under the problematic backup ?
    Log of the backup ?

    All those questions are not for annoying you but a slow performance of an
    application could be caused by severals reasons,at the moment I am
    concentrating on :type of profile ,third application (antivirus,etc...)
    ,networking ,system issue .

    El Zorro

    "Ken Cote" wrote in message

    > Client. All my client machines run Windows NT 4.0/SP5.
    >
    > The CPU utilization stays at 100% for the duration of the backup.
    >

    > "zorro" wrote:
    > >
    > >> 4. Veritas' support on this product is awful. I contacted them about

    > the
    > >> slow performance.

    > >The slow performance was in which terms (system or networking ) ?
    > >
    > >El zorro

  6. Re: Thoughts on Netbackup Profession

    "Ken Cote" wrote:

    >We've been using NetBackup Pro for about 2 months now, backing up about 25
    >notebooks. Here are the pros and cons so far:

    Thanks for your post. We were considering this product to backup
    several laptops and desktops, but it is clear from your post that it
    is not ready for prime-time.

    The spec sheets sounds good, but it doesn't sound like you get what is
    on the spec sheet.....

  7. Re: Thoughts on Netbackup Profession

    I agree with what David said. This seems to be different from what the spec
    sheet says...

    Aaron

    David Scavo wrote:
    >"Ken Cote" wrote:
    >
    >>We've been using NetBackup Pro for about 2 months now, backing up about

    25
    >>notebooks. Here are the pros and cons so far:

    >Thanks for your post. We were considering this product to backup
    >several laptops and desktops, but it is clear from your post that it
    >is not ready for prime-time.
    >
    >The spec sheets sounds good, but it doesn't sound like you get what is
    >on the spec sheet.....

+ Reply to Thread