Slow transfer rates on Linux/Unix - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Slow transfer rates on Linux/Unix - Veritas Net Backup ; Question: At some point our company switched from Backup Exec to NetBackup 6.5. Now that I'm the guy in charge of all this, I'm cleaning up the pieces that got broken during this transition. Part of that is that our ...

  1. Slow transfer rates on Linux/Unix

    Question:

    At some point our company switched from Backup Exec to NetBackup 6.5. Now
    that I'm the guy in charge of all this, I'm cleaning up the pieces that got
    broken during this transition. Part of that is that our backups from Linux/Unix
    clients are taking forever to complete.

    From Windows clients: transfer is ~11000KB/s
    From Linux clients: transfer is ~50KB/s

    I've tried resizing the buffer on the clients without avail.

    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

  2. Re: Slow transfer rates on Linux/Unix

    "Don Fanning" wrote:

    >Question:
    >
    >At some point our company switched from Backup Exec to NetBackup 6.5. Now
    >that I'm the guy in charge of all this, I'm cleaning up the pieces that

    got
    >broken during this transition. Part of that is that our backups from Linux/Unix
    >clients are taking forever to complete.
    >
    >From Windows clients: transfer is ~11000KB/s
    >From Linux clients: transfer is ~50KB/s
    >
    >I've tried resizing the buffer on the clients without avail.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >Thanks!

    Are the Linux servers performing as expected when not doing backup?
    If the overall network performance is low, it could be wise to check how
    the server NIC and the switchport are configured. If connected to a 100 Mbit
    LAN port I would try to set/force the speed to 100 and duplex to FULL on
    both ends, instead of auto/auto.

    /Per

  3. Re: Slow transfer rates on Linux/Unix

    "SuperPer" wrote:

    >"Don Fanning" wrote:
    >>
    >>Question:
    >>
    >>At some point our company switched from Backup Exec to NetBackup 6.5.

    Now
    >>that I'm the guy in charge of all this, I'm cleaning up the pieces that

    >got
    >>broken during this transition. Part of that is that our backups from Linux/Unix
    >>clients are taking forever to complete.
    >>
    >>From Windows clients: transfer is ~11000KB/s
    >>From Linux clients: transfer is ~50KB/s
    >>
    >>I've tried resizing the buffer on the clients without avail.
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>Thanks!
    >>

    >Are the Linux servers performing as expected when not doing backup?
    >If the overall network performance is low, it could be wise to check how
    >the server NIC and the switchport are configured. If connected to a 100

    Mbit
    >LAN port I would try to set/force the speed to 100 and duplex to FULL on
    >both ends, instead of auto/auto.
    >
    >/Per

    You mentioned client side buffers but did you tweak your server side buffers?
    The defaults are far to low for the drives used today.

    On Solaris 10 using LTO2/3/4 or Sun 9940B or T10000A I use a 256k buffer
    and bump up the number of buffers to 32. For the network buffer I also set
    this to 256k. Monitor the bptm log to see if your buffers are too low or
    too high.

    Download SAS, a freeware network test you run on the master and problem clients
    - this will rule out any network related issues. (also give you you current
    network throughput which is handy)

    Also make sure you shared memory and semaphore settings are correct. These
    can have a huge impact on performance.

    -Chcuk

+ Reply to Thread