Server-Directed Restore, what am I doing wrong? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Server-Directed Restore, what am I doing wrong? - Veritas Net Backup ; I'm trying to restore a file on on of my client machine, from the Netbackup Enterprise Server. I open Backup, Archive and Restore, then choose 'Specify Backup Machines and Policy Type" I put the server in the server field (say, ...

  1. Server-Directed Restore, what am I doing wrong?

    I'm trying to restore a file on on of my client machine, from the Netbackup
    Enterprise Server.

    I open Backup, Archive and Restore, then choose 'Specify Backup Machines
    and Policy Type"

    I put the server in the server field (say, SERVER01), the client in the client
    field (CLIENT01), and the client in the destination field (CLIENT01), along
    with the correct policy type.

    Click OK, then 'Select for Backup'. I get the local machines (SERVER01) file
    and directory list to choose what to restore, and not the client machines
    information. The window titlebar shows the correct client is chosen, but
    its showing the local server files.

    I'm fairly new to this, what am I doing wrong?

    TIA,

    Scott

  2. Re: Server-Directed Restore, what am I doing wrong?

    Hi Scott,

    did you tried the restore from the client machine instead from the server?

    Massimo

    "Scott L" ha scritto nel messaggio

    > I'm trying to restore a file on on of my client machine, from the
    > Netbackup
    > Enterprise Server.
    >
    > I open Backup, Archive and Restore, then choose 'Specify Backup Machines
    > and Policy Type"
    >
    > I put the server in the server field (say, SERVER01), the client in the
    > client
    > field (CLIENT01), and the client in the destination field (CLIENT01),
    > along
    > with the correct policy type.
    >
    > Click OK, then 'Select for Backup'. I get the local machines (SERVER01)
    > file
    > and directory list to choose what to restore, and not the client machines
    > information. The window titlebar shows the correct client is chosen, but
    > its showing the local server files.
    >
    > I'm fairly new to this, what am I doing wrong?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Scott

  3. Re: Server-Directed Restore, what am I doing wrong?

    This part of the Admin Client is renown for its difficulty-of-use! For
    v5.1, I ...

    1. Click "Backup, Archive and Restore"
    2. Click "Restore Files"
    3. Click the pointy-hand button near the top right of screen.
    4. Click "Source Client/Policy Type" tab
    5. Click in the "New Client Name" box, type the client name (CLIENT01)
    and click the "Add" button
    6. Click the source client name in the "Client List" and click "Make
    Current"
    7. If the "Policy Type" is incorrect, click the drop-down and select the
    correct type.
    8. Click the "Destination Client" tab
    9. Click in the "New Client Name" box, type the client name (CLIENT01)
    and click the "Add" button
    10. Click "OK" to dismiss and set what you have just (tediously) entered.

    From here, it depends on the type of restore you want to do.

    If I want to find files backed up on a specific date, I use the buttons
    on the middle right side of the display.

    11. Click the button that looks like a report (to the right of the
    calendar button)
    12. Click the backup line(s) that you wish to search
    12a. If more than one backup was selected, you may wish to click the
    "show all backups" button to the immediate left of the refresh button
    13. Click the refresh button (below the calendar button)
    14. Click the directory structure bullet to open the structure; click on
    a directory name to see its content
    15. Click on the box next to any files/directories to be restored
    16. Once all files in this/these backups have been marked, click the
    "Restore" button at the bottom right of the display
    17. Pick one of the 3 ways to choose restore location, entering and
    clicking names and options
    18. Click "Start Restore"
    19. Click yes or no to "I wanna watch!"
    20. Take two aspirins and hold breath/cross fingers.

    cheers, wayne

    Scott L wrote, in part, on 2008-04-16 9:23 AM:
    > I'm trying to restore a file on on of my client machine, from the Netbackup
    > Enterprise Server.
    >
    > I open Backup, Archive and Restore, then choose 'Specify Backup Machines
    > and Policy Type"
    >
    > I put the server in the server field (say, SERVER01), the client in the client
    > field (CLIENT01), and the client in the destination field (CLIENT01), along
    > with the correct policy type.
    >
    > Click OK, then 'Select for Backup'. I get the local machines (SERVER01) file
    > and directory list to choose what to restore, and not the client machines
    > information. The window titlebar shows the correct client is chosen, but
    > its showing the local server files.

  4. Re: Server-Directed Restore, what am I doing wrong?

    (Missing is step 9a, a step like 6, but for the destination client).

    Also, when step 11 fails, it usually means I forgot step 7.

    cheers, wayne (hoping he isn't the next to reply to his own post)

    Wayne T Smith wrote, in part, on 2008-04-17 11:38 AM:
    > This part of the Admin Client is renown for its difficulty-of-use! For
    > v5.1, I ...
    >
    > 1. Click "Backup, Archive and Restore"
    > 2. Click "Restore Files"
    > 3. Click the pointy-hand button near the top right of screen.
    > 4. Click "Source Client/Policy Type" tab
    > 5. Click in the "New Client Name" box, type the client name (CLIENT01)
    > and click the "Add" button
    > 6. Click the source client name in the "Client List" and click "Make
    > Current"
    > 7. If the "Policy Type" is incorrect, click the drop-down and select the
    > correct type.
    > 8. Click the "Destination Client" tab
    > 9. Click in the "New Client Name" box, type the client name (CLIENT01)
    > and click the "Add" button
    > 10. Click "OK" to dismiss and set what you have just (tediously) entered.
    >
    > From here, it depends on the type of restore you want to do.
    >
    > If I want to find files backed up on a specific date, I use the buttons
    > on the middle right side of the display.
    >
    > 11. Click the button that looks like a report (to the right of the
    > calendar button)
    > 12. Click the backup line(s) that you wish to search
    > 12a. If more than one backup was selected, you may wish to click the
    > "show all backups" button to the immediate left of the refresh button
    > 13. Click the refresh button (below the calendar button)
    > 14. Click the directory structure bullet to open the structure; click on
    > a directory name to see its content
    > 15. Click on the box next to any files/directories to be restored
    > 16. Once all files in this/these backups have been marked, click the
    > "Restore" button at the bottom right of the display
    > 17. Pick one of the 3 ways to choose restore location, entering and
    > clicking names and options
    > 18. Click "Start Restore"
    > 19. Click yes or no to "I wanna watch!"
    > 20. Take two aspirins and hold breath/cross fingers.
    >
    > cheers, wayne
    >
    > Scott L wrote, in part, on 2008-04-16 9:23 AM:
    >> I'm trying to restore a file on on of my client machine, from the
    >> Netbackup
    >> Enterprise Server.
    >>
    >> I open Backup, Archive and Restore, then choose 'Specify Backup Machines
    >> and Policy Type"
    >>
    >> I put the server in the server field (say, SERVER01), the client in
    >> the client
    >> field (CLIENT01), and the client in the destination field (CLIENT01),
    >> along
    >> with the correct policy type.
    >>
    >> Click OK, then 'Select for Backup'. I get the local machines
    >> (SERVER01) file
    >> and directory list to choose what to restore, and not the client machines
    >> information. The window titlebar shows the correct client is chosen, but
    >> its showing the local server files.

  5. Re: Server-Directed Restore, what am I doing wrong?

    The problem is you are choosing "Select for Backup" instead of "Select for
    Restore".

    "Scott L" wrote:

    >I'm trying to restore a file on on of my client machine, from the Netbackup
    >Enterprise Server.
    >
    >I open Backup, Archive and Restore, then choose 'Specify Backup Machines
    >and Policy Type"
    >
    >I put the server in the server field (say, SERVER01), the client in the

    client
    >field (CLIENT01), and the client in the destination field (CLIENT01), along
    >with the correct policy type.
    >
    >Click OK, then 'Select for Backup'. I get the local machines (SERVER01)

    file
    >and directory list to choose what to restore, and not the client machines
    >information. The window titlebar shows the correct client is chosen, but
    >its showing the local server files.
    >
    >I'm fairly new to this, what am I doing wrong?
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Scott

+ Reply to Thread