Media Catalogue at DR - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Media Catalogue at DR - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello All Just trying to clear up whats best to do in a DR situation ie how to prepare for it best. The issue is one of media servers that exist day-to-day but dont exist in DR: theres only the ...

  1. Media Catalogue at DR

    Hello All

    Just trying to clear up whats best to do in a DR situation ie how to prepare
    for it best.

    The issue is one of media servers that exist day-to-day but dont exist in
    DR: theres only the master server. My config is all Solaris with SSO : all
    the drives are shared across all the media servers and the master server.

    Ive set up NOT_DATABASE_HOST in vm.conf on my media servers and restarted
    the daemons. My media servers still mount and write as expected.

    vmquery commands return results only for my master server regardless.
    (vmquery queries the volume dbase - this is centralised on my master)

    bpmedialist commands return results from any of my media servers and my master
    (bpmedialist queries the media catalogues-which arent centralised:volDB exist
    on each media server)

    So, if I understand correctly, this should keep me safe at DR if I add
    FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER =
    for each media server, in bp.conf .

    Testing this is somewhat difficult and I dont want to arrive at DR to find
    my only server ( a ufsdump restored master server ) wont serve me media that
    were written on media servers other than himself.

    Anyone actually been through this cycle and can confirm it works (I appreciate
    this is detailed in the documentation, but does it actually work)?

    Thanks in advance,Jim

  2. Re: Media Catalogue at DR

    You will have better luck with 6.x as the mediaDB information is all stored
    on the master. Using FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER will work if you need to
    restore from a media server that no longer exists.

    "jim dalton" wrote:

    >Hello All
    >
    >Just trying to clear up whats best to do in a DR situation ie how to prepare
    >for it best.
    >
    >The issue is one of media servers that exist day-to-day but dont exist in
    >DR: theres only the master server. My config is all Solaris with SSO : all
    >the drives are shared across all the media servers and the master server.
    >
    >Ive set up NOT_DATABASE_HOST in vm.conf on my media servers and restarted
    >the daemons. My media servers still mount and write as expected.
    >
    >vmquery commands return results only for my master server regardless.
    >(vmquery queries the volume dbase - this is centralised on my master)
    >
    >bpmedialist commands return results from any of my media servers and my

    master
    >(bpmedialist queries the media catalogues-which arent centralised:volDB

    exist
    >on each media server)
    >
    >So, if I understand correctly, this should keep me safe at DR if I add
    >FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER =
    >for each media server, in bp.conf .
    >
    >Testing this is somewhat difficult and I dont want to arrive at DR to find
    >my only server ( a ufsdump restored master server ) wont serve me media

    that
    >were written on media servers other than himself.
    >
    >Anyone actually been through this cycle and can confirm it works (I appreciate
    >this is detailed in the documentation, but does it actually work)?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,Jim

+ Reply to Thread