reinstalling master server on new hardware help?! - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on reinstalling master server on new hardware help?! - Veritas Net Backup ; I currently have a master/media server that is Solaris 8 running Netbackup 6.0 MP5. I want to move this to new hardware and make the OS Solaris 10. How difficult of a task is this. I am planning on building ...

  1. reinstalling master server on new hardware help?!

    I currently have a master/media server that is Solaris 8 running Netbackup
    6.0 MP5. I want to move this to new hardware and make the OS Solaris 10.
    How difficult of a task is this. I am planning on building the OS from scratch
    and then reinstalling Netbackup like it was brand new (rebuilding my storage
    units during this process). Can I just then go through the catalog recovery
    process? I think this will get me my clients, policies, media catalogs, etc...basically
    my entire master/media server configuration.

    It seems way to easy. Has anyone done this before and can I get some tips?

  2. Re: reinstalling master server on new hardware help?!

    Build new box, use same install dirs. and master host name.
    Stage all DSSU's, expire disk images, delete DSSU's. (..or move them as well)
    Do Hot-Catalog backup to disk/tape of old box.
    FTP files to new box. (or connect tapelib.)
    Do Recovery... reconfigure tape/dssu's........Done!
    - and you have still a full fallback in old box.
    If successful, donate 1000$ to whoever... Even.

  3. Re: reinstalling master server on new hardware help?!

    I have recently done exactly this except I migrated between Windows 2K and
    Windows 2003 Master Server. Process will be exactly the same regardless
    of O/S. You must restore the catalog because it has all of your image information
    policies, licenses, and configuration.

    In any case after restoring the Catalog the system was up and running configuration
    and all.

    Just make sure you know the exact syntax of the bprecover command and the
    exact paths of the tapes / disk storage and how to mount tapes in your library
    without robtest (if you use a library).

    "Dino" wrote:

    >I currently have a master/media server that is Solaris 8 running Netbackup
    >6.0 MP5. I want to move this to new hardware and make the OS Solaris 10.
    >How difficult of a task is this. I am planning on building the OS from scratch
    >and then reinstalling Netbackup like it was brand new (rebuilding my storage
    >units during this process). Can I just then go through the catalog recovery
    >process? I think this will get me my clients, policies, media catalogs,

    etc...basically
    >my entire master/media server configuration.
    >
    >It seems way to easy. Has anyone done this before and can I get some tips?

+ Reply to Thread