SYS:QUEUES directory on Netware - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on SYS:QUEUES directory on Netware - Veritas Net Backup ; I frequently see that files in the SYS:QUEUES directory on my Netware servers never get backed up because they are opened and being used by the OS. We have had problems in the past with open file manager and do ...

  1. SYS:QUEUES directory on Netware

    I frequently see that files in the SYS:QUEUES directory on my Netware servers
    never get backed up because they are opened and being used by the OS. We
    have had problems in the past with open file manager and do not use it. Is
    the queues directory vital to recovering a server or can it be excluded?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: SYS:QUEUES directory on Netware

    "Dino" wrote:

    >I frequently see that files in the SYS:QUEUES directory on my Netware servers
    >never get backed up because they are opened and being used by the OS. We
    >have had problems in the past with open file manager and do not use it.

    Is
    >the queues directory vital to recovering a server or can it be excluded?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Hi

    I believe it's safe to exclude this directory. From a Novell TID: "When a
    print queue is created, either through NWAdmin or the PCONSOLE utility, a
    corresponding subdirectory is created under the QUEUES directory on the volume
    of your choosing on the file server where the print queue resides. The NetWare
    operating system uses this directory (commonly referred to as the spool directory)
    to hold the print job files that are waiting to be printed. The SYS volume
    is used by default, but you can select any other volume on the server."

  3. Re: SYS:QUEUES directory on Netware

    "Per" wrote:

    >"Dino" wrote:
    >>
    >>I frequently see that files in the SYS:QUEUES directory on my Netware servers
    >>never get backed up because they are opened and being used by the OS. We
    >>have had problems in the past with open file manager and do not use it.

    >Is
    >>the queues directory vital to recovering a server or can it be excluded?
    >>
    >>Thanks.

    >Hi
    >
    >I believe it's safe to exclude this directory. From a Novell TID: "When

    >print queue is created, either through NWAdmin or the PCONSOLE utility,

    >corresponding subdirectory is created under the QUEUES directory on the

    volume
    >of your choosing on the file server where the print queue resides. The NetWare
    >operating system uses this directory (commonly referred to as the spool

    directory)
    >to hold the print job files that are waiting to be printed. The SYS volume
    >is used by default, but you can select any other volume on the server."

    Furthermore, since the files are locked and not available for backup, it
    will not be possible to restore them from Netbackup. So excluding them won't
    change anything.

+ Reply to Thread