Dumb file list question - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Dumb file list question - Veritas Net Backup ; I wish to pass an ASCII list of files to NBU for backup, and can't seem to locate a reference to this. Can some kind soul please point me to a place that documents this? Many thanks Bill...

  1. Dumb file list question

    I wish to pass an ASCII list of files to NBU for backup, and can't seem to
    locate a reference to this. Can some kind soul please point me to a place
    that documents this?

    Many thanks
    Bill

  2. Re: Dumb file list question

    Bill,

    You need to download the commands manual.

    The trick for passing a list of files to the "bpbackup" command is to use a
    "files list file" on the "-f" switch.

    e.g.$ bpbackup -....(all the other switches) -f C:\Temp\mylist.txt

    ....where mylist.txt is one or more records in the format:

    ....where is the length of the path specification, not the length of
    the whole record, e.g.:
    12 C:\My folder

    HTH,
    Dave.

    "Bill Katz" wrote in message

    > I wish to pass an ASCII list of files to NBU for backup, and can't seem to
    > locate a reference to this. Can some kind soul please point me to a place
    > that documents this?
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Bill

  3. Re: Dumb file list question

    Thank you very much D.R.

    ----------------------
    "D.R." wrote in message news:4701f8c8@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Bill,
    >
    > You need to download the commands manual.
    >
    > The trick for passing a list of files to the "bpbackup" command is to use
    > a "files list file" on the "-f" switch.
    >
    > e.g.$ bpbackup -....(all the other switches) -f C:\Temp\mylist.txt
    >
    > ...where mylist.txt is one or more records in the format:
    >

    > ...where is the length of the path specification, not the length
    > of the whole record, e.g.:
    > 12 C:\My folder
    >

    > HTH,
    > Dave.
    >

    > "Bill Katz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I wish to pass an ASCII list of files to NBU for backup, and can't seem
    >> locate a reference to this. Can some kind soul please point me to a place
    >> that documents this?
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >> Bill

  4. Re: Dumb file list question

    Hmm, after reading the info for the bpbackup, it's pretty sparse on its
    details for the filelist. For instance, nothing refers to non-local drives.
    How do I specify to backup a share on another machine, just use a UNC path
    like \\\path?

    Thanks again.
    Bill

    ------------------
    "D.R." wrote in message news:4701f8c8@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Bill,
    >
    > You need to download the commands manual.
    >
    > The trick for passing a list of files to the "bpbackup" command is to use
    > a "files list file" on the "-f" switch.
    >
    > e.g.$ bpbackup -....(all the other switches) -f C:\Temp\mylist.txt
    >
    > ...where mylist.txt is one or more records in the format:
    >

    > ...where is the length of the path specification, not the length
    > of the whole record, e.g.:
    > 12 C:\My folder
    >

    > HTH,
    > Dave.
    >

    > "Bill Katz" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I wish to pass an ASCII list of files to NBU for backup, and can't seem
    >> locate a reference to this. Can some kind soul please point me to a place
    >> that documents this?
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >> Bill

  5. Re: Dumb file list question

    Hi Bill,

    Did you try specifying a \\server\path ?
    Did it work?

    I would think that the policy would have to have "Backup network drives"
    enabled. And, also the "Local_System" account of the windows server that is
    the backup client would have to have access rights (to read, and write (to
    update archive bit)) to the remote folder.

    I've never tried backing up a UNC path from an "immediate" or "user mode"
    backup job. I've only ever tried backing up a mapped share, e.g. X:\ mapped
    out to \\server\share. And even then I could only get it to work by using a
    scheduled task that was scheduled to start at boot time, that had a wait in
    it, before then doing a "net use" command and also having a pause in it so
    that it would never finish, and also setting the scheduled task not to kill
    itself after "N hours/minutes". Also, the scheduled boot time task had to
    run under the same account that the "NetBackup Client Service" runs as,
    which is normally "Local_System".

    HTH,
    Dave.

    P.S. You could try asking here too:
    https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board?board.id=21

    "Bill Katz" wrote in message
    > Hmm, after reading the info for the bpbackup, it's pretty sparse on its
    > details for the filelist. For instance, nothing refers to non-local
    > drives. How do I specify to backup a share on another machine, just use a
    > UNC path like \\\path?
    >
    > Thanks again.
    > Bill
    >
    > ------------------
    > "D.R." wrote in message news:4701f8c8@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >> Bill,
    >>
    >> You need to download the commands manual.
    >>
    >> The trick for passing a list of files to the "bpbackup" command is to use
    >> a "files list file" on the "-f" switch.
    >>
    >> e.g.$ bpbackup -....(all the other switches) -f C:\Temp\mylist.txt
    >>
    >> ...where mylist.txt is one or more records in the format:
    >>

    >> ...where is the length of the path specification, not the length
    >> of the whole record, e.g.:
    >> 12 C:\My folder
    >>

    >> HTH,
    >> Dave.
    >>

    >> "Bill Katz" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I wish to pass an ASCII list of files to NBU for backup, and can't seem
    >>> locate a reference to this. Can some kind soul please point me to a
    >>> place
    >>> that documents this?
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks
    >>> Bill