Question about restoring data from tape - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Question about restoring data from tape - Veritas Net Backup ; my disk data storage is only about 600GB, so i am only able to keep about 2 weeks of backups on disk. I do have a 9 slot tape library, which as each backup is completed, it is then run ...

  1. Question about restoring data from tape

    my disk data storage is only about 600GB, so i am only able to keep about
    2 weeks of backups on disk. I do have a 9 slot tape library, which as each
    backup is completed, it is then run off to tape. after 2 weeks or so, my
    only copy of a backup in question, will be on a tape (since the disk one
    will have had to been expired manually, to make more room for new backups).

    my question is this:

    when i need to restore something from tape, 99% of the time the tape wil
    not already be in the drive. i usually have to start the job, read which
    tapes its going to need, cancel(fail) the job, insert the proper tapes, and
    restart the same job again. how can i (or, what is the proper way to) avoid
    the job cancel, and still properly get from selections to sucess?

  2. Re: Question about restoring data from tape

    Just let the job sit there asking for the tape. Eject a scratch tape from
    your library and inject the tape you need to restore from. NetBackup will
    pick up that the tape is in the library and mount it.

    "Jonathan Horne" wrote:

    >my disk data storage is only about 600GB, so i am only able to keep about
    >2 weeks of backups on disk. I do have a 9 slot tape library, which as each
    >backup is completed, it is then run off to tape. after 2 weeks or so, my
    >only copy of a backup in question, will be on a tape (since the disk one
    >will have had to been expired manually, to make more room for new backups).
    >
    >my question is this:
    >
    >when i need to restore something from tape, 99% of the time the tape wil
    >not already be in the drive. i usually have to start the job, read which
    >tapes its going to need, cancel(fail) the job, insert the proper tapes,

    and
    >restart the same job again. how can i (or, what is the proper way to) avoid
    >the job cancel, and still properly get from selections to sucess?

+ Reply to Thread