HP LTO2 drive cleaning - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on HP LTO2 drive cleaning - Veritas Net Backup ; It looks like my storagetek L180 tape robot is setup to auto clean my HP LTO 2 drives, but for some reason it is not. I talked to SUN/Storagetek and they told me that HP only requires a drive to ...

  1. HP LTO2 drive cleaning

    It looks like my storagetek L180 tape robot is setup to auto clean my HP LTO
    2 drives, but for some reason it is not. I talked to SUN/Storagetek and they
    told me that HP only requires a drive to be cleaned if it has a hard error
    either on the drive itself or a tape. I'd like to clean them some time for
    performance sake, but I'm not sure how often. I'd like to know what some
    of you guys are doing out there and get some recommendations.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: HP LTO2 drive cleaning

    I leave mine to sort themselves out- mine are IBM LTO2 in L180 and the advice
    from Sun is good. Overclean and you run into wear issues (which may not be
    an issue if you have a support contract).
    Ive found theres two autoclean pathways and they are discrete and ive configured
    both. One is via netbackup and one is via the robot and either 'system' can
    request a clean, hence Ive got cleaning carts configured for netbackup (in
    the normal slots) and ive got cleaning carts for the robot (in the playground):
    both get used and i never have to worry about cleaning.
    Regards,Jim

    "Dino" wrote:

    >It looks like my storagetek L180 tape robot is setup to auto clean my HP

    LTO
    >2 drives, but for some reason it is not. I talked to SUN/Storagetek and

    they
    >told me that HP only requires a drive to be cleaned if it has a hard error
    >either on the drive itself or a tape. I'd like to clean them some time for
    >performance sake, but I'm not sure how often. I'd like to know what some
    >of you guys are doing out there and get some recommendations.
    >
    >Thanks.

  3. Re: HP LTO2 drive cleaning

    We operate a IBM and a Sun tape library with both IBM LTO2 drives and "wonder"
    the same firmware. Both libraries are setup with the cleaning option.
    Both were installed in 2005 and the IBM library has so far never cleaned
    a drive and the Sun does it on a regular interval (50 cleans a year).
    So far no problems with wear of drives on both libraries.
    "Dino" wrote:

    >It looks like my storagetek L180 tape robot is setup to auto clean my HP

    LTO
    >2 drives, but for some reason it is not. I talked to SUN/Storagetek and

    they
    >told me that HP only requires a drive to be cleaned if it has a hard error
    >either on the drive itself or a tape. I'd like to clean them some time for
    >performance sake, but I'm not sure how often. I'd like to know what some
    >of you guys are doing out there and get some recommendations.
    >
    >Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread