Vault and duplication related problem. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Vault and duplication related problem. - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi We have 1 master/media server and 3 mediaservers in our setup. One physical library with 10 drives configured on master server. 80 drives of virtual tape library distributed between master and mediaservers. 26 drives to master/media, another 26 drives ...

  1. Vault and duplication related problem.

    Hi

    We have 1 master/media server and 3 mediaservers in our setup. One physical
    library with 10 drives configured on master server. 80 drives of virtual
    tape library distributed between master and mediaservers.
    26 drives to master/media, another 26 drives to 1 media server and last 28
    to 2 media server.

    My problem is we are getting slow speed in duplication which causes delay
    in vault schedules. Backups are going on virtual library using all the 3
    servers.
    My catalog is only on master server.

    My concern is whether at the time of duplication the images which are to
    be written from virtual library to physical library is flowing thru SAN i.e
    fiber channel or it is flowing thru network.

    Kindly help me out with this.
    Thanks in advance..

  2. Re: Vault and duplication related problem.

    I am not sure I am grasping everything here but do you have all duplication
    going to the 10 drives presented to the master server? Do you have SSO setup
    to present the 10 drives to all media servers? I believe it is slow because
    of the design of your backup environment. The master server should have
    the least amount of backups/duplication going to it. I am assuming you are
    doing D2D2T. It sounds like when you are duplicating, you are duplicating
    images from one media server to another media server, which is basically
    IP traffic. You should setup duplication of images locally, meaning if Mediaserver1
    performed the initial backup then Mediaserver1 will "duplicate" those images
    to tape (LAN-Free).

    I think using SSO should speed up your duplication. If you rework the configuration,
    each media server's duplication will be done LAN free (assuming you have
    a fabric connected tape library).

    "Prabhakar" wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >We have 1 master/media server and 3 mediaservers in our setup. One physical
    >library with 10 drives configured on master server. 80 drives of virtual
    >tape library distributed between master and mediaservers.
    >26 drives to master/media, another 26 drives to 1 media server and last

    28
    >to 2 media server.
    >
    >My problem is we are getting slow speed in duplication which causes delay
    >in vault schedules. Backups are going on virtual library using all the 3
    >servers.
    >My catalog is only on master server.
    >

    >My concern is whether at the time of duplication the images which are to
    >be written from virtual library to physical library is flowing thru SAN

    i.e
    >fiber channel or it is flowing thru network.
    >
    >Kindly help me out with this.
    >Thanks in advance..

+ Reply to Thread