Automatic Stopping of running backups - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Automatic Stopping of running backups - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi there, Due to some agreements with an customer where not allowed to backup during business hours, so we want to automatic cancel or suspend various jobs. Is it possible to automate this within netbackup, with scripts ? Now it's ...

  1. Automatic Stopping of running backups

    Hi there,

    Due to some agreements with an customer where not allowed to backup during
    business hours, so we want to automatic cancel or suspend various jobs.

    Is it possible to automate this within netbackup, with scripts ? Now it's
    a huge problem because at the moment we consume almost the whole bandwith
    so clients are getting performance issues during these backups.

    We are in desperate need of some help.

    Cheers

    Ray

  2. Re: Automatic Stopping of running backups

    "Raymond Koorman" wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Due to some agreements with an customer where not allowed to backup during
    >business hours, so we want to automatic cancel or suspend various jobs.
    >
    >Is it possible to automate this within netbackup, with scripts ? Now it's
    >a huge problem because at the moment we consume almost the whole bandwith
    >so clients are getting performance issues during these backups.
    >
    >We are in desperate need of some help.
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Ray

    I use a cron job to kill any active jobs just before beginning our catalog
    backup. The portion of the script that you would be most concerned with
    would be:
    {install path}/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpdbjobs -cancel_all
    This is on a Solaris box. I'm sure you could use scheduled tasks on a windows
    box to do the same thing.

  3. Re: Automatic Stopping of running backups

    is it consuming bandwidth or affecting server's performance/resources? Have
    you checked how you have your policies are setup? Backups should not overly
    consume resources on the server if configured correctly. Are you using several
    streams, compressing, temp files, backup windows, checkpoints, etc?

    as far as suspending if running too long, there has to be a real-time monitoring
    person to be watching those jobs. What you can do is script on the client
    to shutdown the NBU client service, that will stop the backup stream. Just
    remember to start it back up. Or you can use winternals 'pskill' and schedule
    to stop bpbkar processes (assuming Windows) at certain time.

    "Raymond Koorman" wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Due to some agreements with an customer where not allowed to backup during
    >business hours, so we want to automatic cancel or suspend various jobs.
    >
    >Is it possible to automate this within netbackup, with scripts ? Now it's
    >a huge problem because at the moment we consume almost the whole bandwith
    >so clients are getting performance issues during these backups.
    >
    >We are in desperate need of some help.
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Ray

  4. Re: Automatic Stopping of running backups

    Hi Raymond,

    Hopefully your are not running more than about 4 streams per client, maybe 5
    for very powerful servers - or even 6 for mind bogglingly powerful/fast
    servers - or even as low as three streams for servers from a few years ago,
    and maybe even as low as two for servers over 5 to 6 years old.

    Sound to me like some of your clients are thrashing. Sometimes it is more
    efficient, and the whole backup session actually completes sooner if you use
    fewer streams.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Raymond Koorman" wrote in message

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Due to some agreements with an customer where not allowed to backup during
    > business hours, so we want to automatic cancel or suspend various jobs.
    >
    > Is it possible to automate this within netbackup, with scripts ? Now it's
    > a huge problem because at the moment we consume almost the whole bandwith
    > so clients are getting performance issues during these backups.
    >
    > We are in desperate need of some help.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Ray

+ Reply to Thread