VSP Question - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on VSP Question - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, This is the first time I have to use Netbackup and I hope than someone could help me understanding how works and how to manage VSP with this software. I have see others post on VSP but they do ...

  1. VSP Question

    Hi,
    This is the first time I have to use Netbackup and I hope than someone could
    help me understanding how works and how to manage VSP with this software.
    I have see others post on VSP but they do not reply to all the questions
    that I have and even If I have read several time the online doc, I really
    don't understand some stuff ..
    Ok, I have let say 2 servers A and B. A and B have each 2 drive c: and d:
    Of course, the drive d: is larger than the c: on the 2 servers.
    The job backup are already definied.

    1- It seems for me that the open file operation, meaning vsp, is used by
    default by netbackup is the client is defined.
    I have not really understand yet why there is some options in Netbackup Mamangement
    -> Host properties -> Master servers -> -> client attributes. concerning
    the use of either VSS or VSS, global or individual drive snapshop. anyway
    A and B are not listed here.

    2- Like a lot of users I have a problem the way some drives are filled up
    by VSP... When netbackup do his snaphot operation, it fills my c drive almost
    to the point where there is very few space left. I have checked some info
    about this but it seems that there is no way to use d: as my vsp cache drive
    and still do a snapshop of my c: and d:, am I right?
    What I want is to set d: as my prefered drive to put the NBU_VSP_Cache folder.
    What I have understand so far is that setting d: in the cache file volume
    list field and in the vsp volume excluse list means that d: will be used
    to snaptshop C: (the folder NBU_VSP_Cache will be created on d but the
    d: could not then be backuped up using vsp snaphot. Again, am I right?

    Also, what you netbackup guru set as min an max value for te cache size?
    I have see this post : http://news.support.veritas.com/dnew...tem=4768&utag=
    but still try to find the best way to condifured this stuff the way I want
    (meaning not fill up my c and the way it should.

    Thanks for you help

  2. Re: VSP Question

    Hi Romain,

    The post you refer to was mine.

    I take it that you are aware that VSP, will by default (if you don't set a
    maximum size value and don't specify either exclusion VSP volume or
    inclusion VSP volumes), consume upto 30GB on any given volume.

    I would now say that I use a maximum cache size of 3000MB on some clients -
    where a maximum of 1000MB isn't enough. I still exclude C from VSP for a
    lot of Windows clients, but then I also use a long list of typical
    exclusions that get applied to each client - see below.

    There's no hard and fast rule for VSP cache sizes, it totally depends on the
    client.

    My typical values are:
    Exclude C:
    Initial 500 MB
    Maximum 2000 MB (3000MB for a few, very rarely 5000 MB).
    VSP Busy file wait 5 secs (default)
    VSP Busy file timeout 30 secs (reduced from default of 300).

    I'm pretty sure that the manuals say it is best practice to have a
    completely spare volume for VSP snapshot files, but this is impractical for
    most sites.

    Even after the exclusions I still get a few different minor lock and control
    files missed from some clients due to the nature of the applications running
    on the clients.

    Anyway, here are my personal notes re typical exclusions.

    General WIndows CLient Exclusions: (Current)
    =================================

    *.tmp
    *:\Recycler
    *:\Temp
    C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Temp
    C:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network
    Associates\BOPDATA\_Date*.dat
    C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\logs

    ....and...

    C:\WINNT\security\Database\secedit.sdb
    C:\WINNT\security\edb.log
    C:\WINNT\security\tmp.edb
    C:\WINNT\system32\NtmsData
    C:\WINNT\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_*.dat
    C:\WINNT\system32\wbem\Logs\FrameWork.log
    C:\WINNT\Temp
    C:\WINNT\Temporary Internet Files

    ....or...

    C:\WINDOWS\security\Database\secedit.sdb
    C:\WINDOWS\security\edb.log
    C:\WINDOWS\security\edbtmp.log
    C:\WINDOWS\security\tmp.edb
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\NtmsData
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Perflib_Perfdata_*.dat
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Logs\FrameWork.log
    C:\WINDOWS\Temp
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files

    ....and occassionally:

    C:\Documents and Settings\*\Application
    Data\Adobe\Acrobat\7.0\Updater\udlog.txt

    Typical default client/database agent/admin console/media server/master
    servers excludes are:

    C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
    C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
    C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
    C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\misc\*

    VSP Cache File Names:

    v4.5 C:\VSPCache*.VSP
    v5.1 C:\_vxfiVspCacheFile_*.tmp
    v5.1 MP3aS2+ *:\_vxfiVspCacheFile_*.VSP
    v6.0 *:\NBU_VSP_Cache\_vxfiVspCacheFile_*.vsp

    For many Windows 2000 servers:

    For Windows 2000 DHCP servers:
    C:\WINNT\system32\dhcp\dhcp.mdb
    C:\WINNT\system32\dhcp\j50.log
    C:\WINNT\system32\dhcp\tmp.edb

    For Windows 2000 WINS servers:
    C:\WINNT\system32\wins\winstmp.mdb

    ....or...

    For Windows 2003 DHCP servers:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\dhcp.mdb
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\j50.log
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcp\tmp.edb

    For Windows 2003 WINS servers:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins\winstmp.mdb

    Specific Application/Client Exclusions:
    ======================================

    For servers hosting "Citrix" or other "desktop" sessions:

    C:\Documents and Settings\*\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outcmd.dat
    C:\Documents and Settings\*\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outcmd.dat
    *:\User_Home_Shares_*\*\documents\Microsoft\Outloo k\outcmd.dat

    Citrix Desktop Servers:
    ======================
    C:\Program Files\Citrix\Citrix Resource Manager\LocalDB\RMLocalDatabase.mdb

    Examples for print Servers:
    ===========================

    C:\WINNT\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.SHD
    D:\Spool\Printers\*.SHD
    L:\Spool\*.SHD

    ================================================== ================================================== ====
    Typical excludes of a TSM client:

    exclude *:\...\pagefile.sys
    exclude *:\MSDOS.SYS
    exclude *:\IO.SYS
    exclude *:\boot.ini
    exclude *:NTUSER.DAT
    exclude *:ntuser.dat.LOG
    exclude *:UsrClass.dat
    exclude *:UsrClass.dat.LOG
    exclude *:AgentResponseMgr.pqf
    exclude *:AlertSend.pqf
    exclude *:EventCons
    exclude *:AgentQueue.pqf
    exclude *:EvtCons
    exclude *:EvtSend.pqf
    exclude *:ExtSubmit.pqf
    exclude *:PerfSend.pqf
    exclude c:\ctmag\...\Sysout\*.log
    exclude *:\...\Catalog.wci\*.000
    exclude "c:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient\*.log"
    Exclude *:*.tmp
    exclude "*:\...\system32\perflib*.dat"
    exclude "c:\...\security\edb.log"
    exclude "c:\...\security\tmp.edb"
    exclude "c:\...\security\Database\secedit.sdb"
    exclude.dir *:wutemp
    exclude.dir *:tmp
    exclude.dir *:temp
    exclude.dir *:\Recycler
    exclude.dir *:\Recycled
    exclude.dir *:\No_Backup
    exclude.dir *:\...\system32\wins
    exclude.dir *:\...\system32\LServer
    exclude.dir *:\...\system32\dhcp
    exclude.dir *:\...\system32\config
    exclude.dir "*:\system volume information"
    exclude.dir "*:temporary internet files"
    exclude.dir "*:\...\profiles\...\history"
    exclude.dir "c:\Documents and Settings\...\Downloader"
    exclude.dir "c:\...\Profiles\...\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader"
    exclude.dir "d:\AD\NTDS"
    exclude.dir "C:\...\network associates\common framework\data"
    exclude.dir "c:\Documents and Settings\...\Application Data\Network
    Associates\Common Framework"
    exclude.dir "*:\mssql*\data"

    ================================================== ================================================== ====

    Typical MacOSX exclusions:

    Typical folders found on a MacOSX 10.4.9
    ..
    ..DS_Store
    ..hotfiles.btree
    ..Spotlight-V100
    ..Trashes
    ..vol
    Applications
    automount
    bin
    cores
    Desktop DB
    Desktop DF
    dev
    etc

    Library
    mach
    mach.sym
    mach_kernel
    Network
    private
    sbin
    System
    temp
    tmp
    User Guides And Information
    Users
    usr
    var
    Volumes

    ================================================== ================================================== ====

    [end]

    "Romain" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    > This is the first time I have to use Netbackup and I hope than someone
    > could
    > help me understanding how works and how to manage VSP with this software.
    > I have see others post on VSP but they do not reply to all the questions
    > that I have and even If I have read several time the online doc, I really
    > don't understand some stuff ..
    > Ok, I have let say 2 servers A and B. A and B have each 2 drive c: and d:
    > Of course, the drive d: is larger than the c: on the 2 servers.
    > The job backup are already definied.
    >
    > 1- It seems for me that the open file operation, meaning vsp, is used by
    > default by netbackup is the client is defined.
    > I have not really understand yet why there is some options in Netbackup
    > Mamangement
    > -> Host properties -> Master servers -> -> client attributes.
    > concerning
    > the use of either VSS or VSS, global or individual drive snapshop. anyway
    > A and B are not listed here.
    >
    > 2- Like a lot of users I have a problem the way some drives are filled up
    > by VSP... When netbackup do his snaphot operation, it fills my c drive
    > almost
    > to the point where there is very few space left. I have checked some info
    > about this but it seems that there is no way to use d: as my vsp cache
    > drive
    > and still do a snapshop of my c: and d:, am I right?
    > What I want is to set d: as my prefered drive to put the NBU_VSP_Cache
    > folder.
    > What I have understand so far is that setting d: in the cache file volume
    > list field and in the vsp volume excluse list means that d: will be used
    > to snaptshop C: (the folder NBU_VSP_Cache will be created on d but the
    > d: could not then be backuped up using vsp snaphot. Again, am I right?
    >
    > Also, what you netbackup guru set as min an max value for te cache size?
    > I have see this post :
    > http://news.support.veritas.com/dnew...tem=4768&utag=
    > but still try to find the best way to condifured this stuff the way I want
    > (meaning not fill up my c and the way it should.
    >
    > Thanks for you help

  3. Re: VSP Question

    P.S. You might like to try the Symantec STN forums for NetBackup - most
    people look and answer in tere these days:
    Create yourself an account, and enjoy!
    https://forums.symantec.com/

    ....and scroll down to the NetBackup forum.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Romain" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    > This is the first time I have to use Netbackup and I hope than someone
    > could
    > help me understanding how works and how to manage VSP with this software.
    > I have see others post on VSP but they do not reply to all the questions
    > that I have and even If I have read several time the online doc, I really
    > don't understand some stuff ..
    > Ok, I have let say 2 servers A and B. A and B have each 2 drive c: and d:
    > Of course, the drive d: is larger than the c: on the 2 servers.
    > The job backup are already definied.
    >
    > 1- It seems for me that the open file operation, meaning vsp, is used by
    > default by netbackup is the client is defined.
    > I have not really understand yet why there is some options in Netbackup
    > Mamangement
    > -> Host properties -> Master servers -> -> client attributes.
    > concerning
    > the use of either VSS or VSS, global or individual drive snapshop. anyway
    > A and B are not listed here.
    >
    > 2- Like a lot of users I have a problem the way some drives are filled up
    > by VSP... When netbackup do his snaphot operation, it fills my c drive
    > almost
    > to the point where there is very few space left. I have checked some info
    > about this but it seems that there is no way to use d: as my vsp cache
    > drive
    > and still do a snapshop of my c: and d:, am I right?
    > What I want is to set d: as my prefered drive to put the NBU_VSP_Cache
    > folder.
    > What I have understand so far is that setting d: in the cache file volume
    > list field and in the vsp volume excluse list means that d: will be used
    > to snaptshop C: (the folder NBU_VSP_Cache will be created on d but the
    > d: could not then be backuped up using vsp snaphot. Again, am I right?
    >
    > Also, what you netbackup guru set as min an max value for te cache size?
    > I have see this post :
    > http://news.support.veritas.com/dnew...tem=4768&utag=
    > but still try to find the best way to condifured this stuff the way I want
    > (meaning not fill up my c and the way it should.
    >
    > Thanks for you help

  4. Re: VSP Question

    Thanks Dave for your reply and advices about setting VSP. I have posted the
    same kind of question here : https://forums.symantec.com/syment/b...ssage.id=34730

    I will try to update this post when I'll have enought information about VSP.

+ Reply to Thread