Preserve Multiplexing during duplication - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Preserve Multiplexing during duplication - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, Should the "Preserve Multiplexing" option be used during duplication. Currently we are duplicating backup images ( which have multiplexing during backup creation). The duplication process of reading from Virtual tape drives and writing to physical tape are very slow. ...

  1. Preserve Multiplexing during duplication

    Hi,

    Should the "Preserve Multiplexing" option be used during duplication.

    Currently we are duplicating backup images ( which have multiplexing during
    backup creation). The duplication process of reading from Virtual tape drives
    and writing to physical tape are very slow.

    Will using "preserve multiplexing" help improve any performance.

    Any assistance is much appreciated.

    Kind Regards

    Vasu

  2. Re: Preserve Multiplexing during duplication

    Vasu Nair wrote, in part:
    > Should the "Preserve Multiplexing" option be used during duplication.
    >
    > Currently we are duplicating backup images ( which have multiplexing during
    > backup creation). The duplication process of reading from Virtual tape drives
    > and writing to physical tape are very slow.
    >
    > Will using "preserve multiplexing" help improve any performance.

    If you "preserve multiplexing", one Vault duplicate job will make one
    pass over the tape(s) to duplicate your images. Without this, you'll
    get one pass over the tape(s) for every stream, making a slow process
    extremely slow if the VYL can't "read" the data fast enough.

    However, multiplexing to virtual tapes doesn't make sense to me, unless
    it's a licensing thing (I don't use VTL).

    Perhaps with multiplexing to your VTL, one stream can't be read from the
    VTL fast enough to avoid shoeshine on the real tape?

    cheers, wayne

+ Reply to Thread