Monitor Speed of Writes to LTO3 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Monitor Speed of Writes to LTO3 - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, We've moved from Legato to NBU and I'm trying to locate how to monitor the speed of data being written to the LTO3 drives. It was possible to do this in Legato. Is it possible with NBU? TIA, Joe...

  1. Monitor Speed of Writes to LTO3

    Hello,

    We've moved from Legato to NBU and I'm trying to locate how to monitor the
    speed of data being written to the LTO3 drives. It was possible to do this
    in Legato. Is it possible with NBU?

    TIA,

    Joe

  2. Re: Monitor Speed of Writes to LTO3

    Hello Joe,

    every Job contains information about the KB/sec.-Performance.
    You can doubleclick on a job in the activity monitor or design in the layout
    to show this column.

    The number is not the absolut real datatransfer, it is the calculated worth
    of "active elapsed time" and "kilobytes written".

    bye
    Para

    "Joe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Hello,
    >
    > We've moved from Legato to NBU and I'm trying to locate how to monitor the
    > speed of data being written to the LTO3 drives. It was possible to do this
    > in Legato. Is it possible with NBU?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Joe

  3. Re: Monitor Speed of Writes to LTO3

    Thank Para,

    I do see the KB/sec for jobs that write directly to tape, but with jobs that
    are writing first to disk, then are duplicated to tape, there is nothing
    in the KB/sec. In fact, in the operation column it just says "Mounting".

    In the details for the job, I can see it start a bpdm process, then request
    and mount a tape, then it starts a bptm process. Then a ton of these:

    06/18/2007 20:18:37 - begin reading
    06/18/2007 20:21:43 - end reading; read time: 0:03:06
    06/18/2007 20:22:06 - started process bpdm (pid=344196)
    06/18/2007 20:22:09 - begin reading
    06/18/2007 20:22:48 - end reading; read time: 0:00:39

    The estimated completion shows a percentage. It eventually gets to 100% then
    finishes, starting the next dupe.

    I never see anything about actually writing to tape, or a speed at which
    it does.

    Joe

    "Paradoxin" wrote:
    >Hello Joe,
    >
    >every Job contains information about the KB/sec.-Performance.
    >You can doubleclick on a job in the activity monitor or design in the layout
    >to show this column.
    >
    >The number is not the absolut real datatransfer, it is the calculated worth
    >of "active elapsed time" and "kilobytes written".
    >
    >bye
    >Para
    >
    >"Joe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> We've moved from Legato to NBU and I'm trying to locate how to monitor

    the
    >> speed of data being written to the LTO3 drives. It was possible to do

    this
    >> in Legato. Is it possible with NBU?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Joe

  4. Re: Monitor Speed of Writes to LTO3

    Hi Joe,

    go to the activity monitor.

    - rightclick in the list
    - columns/layout
    - Kilobytes/sec.
    - Hide/Show

    do you have this option?

    bye
    Para

    "Joe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Thank Para,
    >
    > I do see the KB/sec for jobs that write directly to tape, but with jobs

    that
    > are writing first to disk, then are duplicated to tape, there is nothing
    > in the KB/sec. In fact, in the operation column it just says "Mounting".
    >

    > In the details for the job, I can see it start a bpdm process, then

    request
    > and mount a tape, then it starts a bptm process. Then a ton of these:
    >
    > 06/18/2007 20:18:37 - begin reading
    > 06/18/2007 20:21:43 - end reading; read time: 0:03:06
    > 06/18/2007 20:22:06 - started process bpdm (pid=344196)
    > 06/18/2007 20:22:09 - begin reading
    > 06/18/2007 20:22:48 - end reading; read time: 0:00:39
    >
    > The estimated completion shows a percentage. It eventually gets to 100%

    then
    > finishes, starting the next dupe.
    >
    > I never see anything about actually writing to tape, or a speed at which
    > it does.
    >
    > Joe
    >

    > "Paradoxin" wrote:
    > >Hello Joe,
    > >
    > >every Job contains information about the KB/sec.-Performance.
    > >You can doubleclick on a job in the activity monitor or design in the

    layout
    > >to show this column.
    > >
    > >The number is not the absolut real datatransfer, it is the calculated

    worth
    > >of "active elapsed time" and "kilobytes written".
    > >
    > >bye
    > >Para
    > >
    > >"Joe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >>
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> We've moved from Legato to NBU and I'm trying to locate how to monitor

    > the
    > >> speed of data being written to the LTO3 drives. It was possible to do

    > this
    > >> in Legato. Is it possible with NBU?
    > >>
    > >> TIA,
    > >>
    > >> Joe

  5. Re: Monitor Speed of Writes to LTO3

    Yes, the column is there, but there is no value in that field.

    Thanks again.

    Joe

    "Paradoxin" wrote:
    >Hi Joe,
    >
    >go to the activity monitor.
    >
    >- rightclick in the list
    >- columns/layout
    >- Kilobytes/sec.
    >- Hide/Show
    >
    >do you have this option?
    >
    >bye
    >Para
    >
    >"Joe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>
    >> Thank Para,
    >>
    >> I do see the KB/sec for jobs that write directly to tape, but with jobs

    >that
    >> are writing first to disk, then are duplicated to tape, there is nothing
    >> in the KB/sec. In fact, in the operation column it just says "Mounting".
    >>

    >> In the details for the job, I can see it start a bpdm process, then

    >request
    >> and mount a tape, then it starts a bptm process. Then a ton of these:
    >>
    >> 06/18/2007 20:18:37 - begin reading
    >> 06/18/2007 20:21:43 - end reading; read time: 0:03:06
    >> 06/18/2007 20:22:06 - started process bpdm (pid=344196)
    >> 06/18/2007 20:22:09 - begin reading
    >> 06/18/2007 20:22:48 - end reading; read time: 0:00:39
    >>
    >> The estimated completion shows a percentage. It eventually gets to 100%

    >then
    >> finishes, starting the next dupe.
    >>
    >> I never see anything about actually writing to tape, or a speed at which
    >> it does.
    >>
    >> Joe
    >>

    >> "Paradoxin" wrote:
    >> >Hello Joe,
    >> >
    >> >every Job contains information about the KB/sec.-Performance.
    >> >You can doubleclick on a job in the activity monitor or design in the

    >layout
    >> >to show this column.
    >> >
    >> >The number is not the absolut real datatransfer, it is the calculated

    >worth
    >> >of "active elapsed time" and "kilobytes written".
    >> >
    >> >bye
    >> >Para
    >> >
    >> >"Joe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >> the

    do
    >> this

  6. Re: Monitor Speed of Writes to LTO3

    Joe,

    I didn't test this today, but I'm pretty certain that duplications don't
    report the throughput that you're asking for. Your initial question didn't
    say anything about duplications, so the original answer is correct - its
    in the job properties, etc. But IIRC dpulications don't give the rate.

    Yould could of course calculcate the rate from the time and size of the data
    duplicated.

    I imagine you are backing up to disk (staging) and then offloading to tape?

    "Joe" wrote:

    >Yes, the column is there, but there is no value in that field.
    >
    >Thanks again.
    >
    >Joe
    >

    >"Paradoxin" wrote:
    >>Hi Joe,
    >>
    >>go to the activity monitor.
    >>
    >>- rightclick in the list
    >>- columns/layout
    >>- Kilobytes/sec.
    >>- Hide/Show
    >>
    >>do you have this option?
    >>
    >>bye
    >>Para
    >>
    >>"Joe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>>
    >>> Thank Para,
    >>>
    >>> I do see the KB/sec for jobs that write directly to tape, but with jobs

    >>that
    >>> are writing first to disk, then are duplicated to tape, there is nothing
    >>> in the KB/sec. In fact, in the operation column it just says "Mounting".
    >>>

    >>> In the details for the job, I can see it start a bpdm process, then

    >>request
    >>> and mount a tape, then it starts a bptm process. Then a ton of these:
    >>>
    >>> 06/18/2007 20:18:37 - begin reading
    >>> 06/18/2007 20:21:43 - end reading; read time: 0:03:06
    >>> 06/18/2007 20:22:06 - started process bpdm (pid=344196)
    >>> 06/18/2007 20:22:09 - begin reading
    >>> 06/18/2007 20:22:48 - end reading; read time: 0:00:39
    >>>
    >>> The estimated completion shows a percentage. It eventually gets to 100%

    >>then
    >>> finishes, starting the next dupe.
    >>>
    >>> I never see anything about actually writing to tape, or a speed at which
    >>> it does.
    >>>
    >>> Joe

    >>layout

    >>worth

    >>> the

    >do
    >>> this

  7. Re: Monitor Speed of Writes to LTO3

    Yes. I am taling about disk staging to tape.

    Also, I've been reading the Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide
    trying to figure out the best way to manage the disk staging storage units.

    I'm not sure what the best fragment size should be or is it better to have
    many large storage units or many more smaller ones. Sorry, I know this digresses
    from the original question, but are you aware of any other documents related
    to disk storage units that you could recommend?

    Thanks,

    Joe

    "Mike Robinson" wrote:

    >Joe,
    >
    >I didn't test this today, but I'm pretty certain that duplications don't
    >report the throughput that you're asking for. Your initial question didn't
    >say anything about duplications, so the original answer is correct - its
    >in the job properties, etc. But IIRC dpulications don't give the rate.
    >
    >Yould could of course calculcate the rate from the time and size of the

    data
    >duplicated.
    >
    >I imagine you are backing up to disk (staging) and then offloading to tape?
    >
    >"Joe" wrote:
    >>
    >>Yes, the column is there, but there is no value in that field.
    >>
    >>Thanks again.
    >>
    >>Joe
    >>

    >>"Paradoxin" wrote:
    >>>Hi Joe,
    >>>
    >>>go to the activity monitor.
    >>>
    >>>- rightclick in the list
    >>>- columns/layout
    >>>- Kilobytes/sec.
    >>>- Hide/Show
    >>>
    >>>do you have this option?
    >>>
    >>>bye
    >>>Para
    >>>
    >>>"Joe" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >>>that

    >>>request

    >>>then

    >>>layout

    >>>worth

    >>do

  8. Re: Monitor Speed of Writes to LTO3

    "Joe" wrote:

    >Yes. I am taling about disk staging to tape.
    >
    >Also, I've been reading the Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide
    >trying to figure out the best way to manage the disk staging storage units.

    First, you should try going directly to tape. LTO3 is fast and you might
    find staging not necessary (from a performance perspective). Why are you
    staging - is it for performance, do you keep 5 days of data on the stage
    (so you don't need the tapes mounted), etc? Do you send tapes offsite and
    on what schedule, etc?

    I have seen lots of articles saying D2D2T is the way to go, and then they
    find it takes took long, etc.

    What if you wrote inline copies, one to tape and one to disk, and expired
    the disk after 5 days for example?

    Also you can run the destaging multiple times throughout the day and it will
    pick up anything "missed." Items don't go to tape twice. Lots of ways you
    can set this up.

    Use the perf tuning guide to break down the various components so you can
    see where you are getting performance drops. Also you don't say what O/S
    your media servers are, check into fragmentation issues on the staging disk.

+ Reply to Thread