bpduplicate - very slow performance - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on bpduplicate - very slow performance - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, I am looking for advice on how to trouble-shoot bpduplication process. Environment is NBU version 5.1 MP4. Master server is Sunfire 6900( with 3 HBA's -qlogic) and Media server is a Sunfire 6800 ( with 4 HBA'sq logic). They ...

  1. bpduplicate - very slow performance

    Hi,

    I am looking for advice on how to trouble-shoot bpduplication process.

    Environment is NBU version 5.1 MP4.

    Master server is Sunfire 6900( with 3 HBA's -qlogic) and Media server is
    a Sunfire 6800 ( with 4 HBA'sq logic).

    They are connected via a FC switch to a VTL.

    Also attached in the SAN fabric is a Physical Tape library with 10 units
    of LTO 3 drives.

    Compression is turned on the VTL.

    Situation:

    Backups are performing well. However the problem is duplication. The process
    is very slow. An example is that 4TB of data duplicated using 3 drives takes
    62 hours. That's about 8MB/s per drive.

    I appreciate any advice on how to investigate where the bottle-neck could
    be. Is there any bpduplicate settings that can be set to improve performance.

    Tia.

    Kind Regards

    vasu

    2 GB environment

  2. Re: bpduplicate - very slow performance

    My guess is that your fibre cables are not secure. Backing up is passing
    data in one
    direction. Duplication involves the other.

    So check all cables and you just might have it.

    "Vasu Nair" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am looking for advice on how to trouble-shoot bpduplication process.
    >
    >Environment is NBU version 5.1 MP4.
    >
    >Master server is Sunfire 6900( with 3 HBA's -qlogic) and Media server is
    >a Sunfire 6800 ( with 4 HBA'sq logic).
    >
    >They are connected via a FC switch to a VTL.
    >
    >Also attached in the SAN fabric is a Physical Tape library with 10 units
    >of LTO 3 drives.
    >
    >Compression is turned on the VTL.
    >
    >Situation:
    >
    >Backups are performing well. However the problem is duplication. The process
    >is very slow. An example is that 4TB of data duplicated using 3 drives takes
    >62 hours. That's about 8MB/s per drive.
    >
    >I appreciate any advice on how to investigate where the bottle-neck could
    >be. Is there any bpduplicate settings that can be set to improve performance.
    >
    >Tia.
    >
    >Kind Regards
    >
    >vasu
    >
    >2 GB environment