Range of speed of backups? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Range of speed of backups? - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, I have a Windows master server with: 1) 4GB of ram. 2) 2 3.06 processors. 3) ADIC Scaler i2k with 6 Fiber attached LTO3 tape drives. 4) Most of our backups are done with inline copy. In backing up ...

  1. Range of speed of backups?

    Hello,

    I have a Windows master server with:
    1) 4GB of ram.
    2) 2 3.06 processors.
    3) ADIC Scaler i2k with 6 Fiber attached LTO3 tape drives.
    4) Most of our backups are done with inline copy.

    In backing up servers I get anywhere from 3000KB to 14000KB. Does this
    sound normalish or?

    We have some servers that are 4-8TB and I was wondering if you guys
    have had any success in dealing with this issue.

    Thanks!

    Kevin M

  2. Re: Range of speed of backups?

    With inline copy, are you backing up to all 6 tape drives at the same time?
    Or are there physical disks involved too?

    Also, are you backing up over a network connection and what type of network
    connection?

    "Kevin Markle" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Windows master server with:
    > 1) 4GB of ram.
    > 2) 2 3.06 processors.
    > 3) ADIC Scaler i2k with 6 Fiber attached LTO3 tape drives.
    > 4) Most of our backups are done with inline copy.
    >
    > In backing up servers I get anywhere from 3000KB to 14000KB. Does this
    > sound normalish or?
    >
    > We have some servers that are 4-8TB and I was wondering if you guys have
    > had any success in dealing with this issue.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Kevin M

  3. Re: Range of speed of backups?

    Hi Kevin,

    O/S version? NBU version? Number of NICs? Number of HBAs? Are the NICs/HBAs
    32 or 64 bit? What speed slots are they in, 33MHz or 66MHz? What tweaks have
    you tried? What is the FC/SAN/SSO topology? What speed SAN, 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb
    10Gb? How many SAN switches? And which switches are the drives connected
    too? Are the drives true FC drives or are they connected via some sort of
    FC/SCSI bridge? What multi-plexing do you have in place (on policies and on
    the storage units)? What is the manufacturers quoted speed of backplane for
    the master/media server? No extra media servers? Just one combined
    master/media?

    What brand tape drives? What is the manufacturers quoted "sustained" (not
    burst) speed? N.B. some early LTO3 drives were quoted at 40MB/s sustained
    streaming, whereas some are now saying 60MB/s or even 80MB/s. What are
    yours? Are all the tape drives exactly the same? Same brand, model and
    firmware?

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Kevin Markle" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Windows master server with:
    > 1) 4GB of ram.
    > 2) 2 3.06 processors.
    > 3) ADIC Scaler i2k with 6 Fiber attached LTO3 tape drives.
    > 4) Most of our backups are done with inline copy.
    >
    > In backing up servers I get anywhere from 3000KB to 14000KB. Does this
    > sound normalish or?
    >
    > We have some servers that are 4-8TB and I was wondering if you guys have
    > had any success in dealing with this issue.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Kevin M

  4. Re: Range of speed of backups?

    Kevin,

    The best way to start is to download the 6.0 (assuming that's what version
    you are running), but the concepts are similar for other versions, of the
    Performand and Tuning Guide. However the very first thing I would do is
    try to do local backups to null to benchmark the maximum possible speed on
    your hosts.

    Backing up to LTO2 with a dedicated gigabit network I can get about 50 MB/sec
    on a good day with exchange that runs on a nice san unit. But thats ideal
    - one massive stream. A large fileserver on that same san I can get about
    30 MB/sec under ideal conditions - all the overhead of making tons of file
    markers, etc. For example back up a 20GB directory to tape, get X performance,
    then back that up into a big file (or say 10 2GB files) and back them up
    and get 2X or 3X performance. Thats not unusual.

    Other things impact performance - multiplexing can help or hinder depending
    on what your setup is. You could have a network bottleneck, a problem on
    your media server, etc. If your clients are slow you can write to RAM and
    you won't get good performance.

    Also buffers - up them to 256 across the board, most likely. But TEST TEST
    TEST your restores after you make these changes. you may find that the changes
    report a successful backup but then you can't restore the data.

    The perf guide lays this all out, and then goes into excellent detail for
    more problematic areas.

    Kevin Markle wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I have a Windows master server with:
    >1) 4GB of ram.
    >2) 2 3.06 processors.
    >3) ADIC Scaler i2k with 6 Fiber attached LTO3 tape drives.
    >4) Most of our backups are done with inline copy.
    >
    >In backing up servers I get anywhere from 3000KB to 14000KB. Does this
    >sound normalish or?
    >
    >We have some servers that are 4-8TB and I was wondering if you guys
    >have had any success in dealing with this issue.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Kevin M

  5. Re: Range of speed of backups?

    Kevin Markle pretended :
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Windows master server with:
    > 1) 4GB of ram.
    > 2) 2 3.06 processors.
    > 3) ADIC Scaler i2k with 6 Fiber attached LTO3 tape drives.
    > 4) Most of our backups are done with inline copy.
    >
    > In backing up servers I get anywhere from 3000KB to 14000KB. Does this sound
    > normalish or?
    >
    > We have some servers that are 4-8TB and I was wondering if you guys have had
    > any success in dealing with this issue.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Kevin M

    The amount of data shown above is per server per second. Like it is
    displayed in the job monitor.

  6. Re: Range of speed of backups?

    on 6/5/2007, Nathan supposed :
    > With inline copy, are you backing up to all 6 tape drives at the same time?
    > Or are there physical disks involved too?
    >
    > Also, are you backing up over a network connection and what type of network
    > connection?
    >
    > "Kevin Markle" wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a Windows master server with:
    >> 1) 4GB of ram.
    >> 2) 2 3.06 processors.
    >> 3) ADIC Scaler i2k with 6 Fiber attached LTO3 tape drives.
    >> 4) Most of our backups are done with inline copy.
    >>
    >> In backing up servers I get anywhere from 3000KB to 14000KB. Does this
    >> sound normalish or?
    >>
    >> We have some servers that are 4-8TB and I was wondering if you guys have
    >> had any success in dealing with this issue.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Kevin M

    There are no physical drives. We use 3 drives for copy 1 and 3 for copy
    2.

  7. Re: Range of speed of backups?

    D R laid this down on his screen :
    > Hi Kevin,
    >
    > O/S version? NBU version? Number of NICs? Number of HBAs? Are the NICs/HBAs
    > 32 or 64 bit? What speed slots are they in, 33MHz or 66MHz? What tweaks have
    > you tried? What is the FC/SAN/SSO topology? What speed SAN, 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb
    > 10Gb? How many SAN switches? And which switches are the drives connected too?
    > Are the drives true FC drives or are they connected via some sort of FC/SCSI
    > bridge? What multi-plexing do you have in place (on policies and on the
    > storage units)? What is the manufacturers quoted speed of backplane for the
    > master/media server? No extra media servers? Just one combined master/media?
    >
    > What brand tape drives? What is the manufacturers quoted "sustained" (not
    > burst) speed? N.B. some early LTO3 drives were quoted at 40MB/s sustained
    > streaming, whereas some are now saying 60MB/s or even 80MB/s. What are
    > yours? Are all the tape drives exactly the same? Same brand, model and
    > firmware?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dave.
    >

    > "Kevin Markle" wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a Windows master server with:
    >> 1) 4GB of ram.
    >> 2) 2 3.06 processors.
    >> 3) ADIC Scaler i2k with 6 Fiber attached LTO3 tape drives.
    >> 4) Most of our backups are done with inline copy.
    >>
    >> In backing up servers I get anywhere from 3000KB to 14000KB. Does this
    >> sound normalish or?
    >>
    >> We have some servers that are 4-8TB and I was wondering if you guys have
    >> had any success in dealing with this issue.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Kevin M

    W3k 2003
    1 GB NIC
    64 bit slot.
    I have attempted to increase the buffer size and this has helped.

    Our you getting better thru put that the numbers listed above? That is
    a range from the job monitor. So that would be per second per server.
    My boss asked me to see if those ranges are within an acceptable range.

  8. Re: Range of speed of backups?

    Mike Robinson formulated the question :
    > Kevin,
    >
    > The best way to start is to download the 6.0 (assuming that's what version
    > you are running), but the concepts are similar for other versions, of the
    > Performand and Tuning Guide. However the very first thing I would do is
    > try to do local backups to null to benchmark the maximum possible speed on
    > your hosts.
    >
    > Backing up to LTO2 with a dedicated gigabit network I can get about 50 MB/sec
    > on a good day with exchange that runs on a nice san unit. But thats ideal
    > - one massive stream. A large fileserver on that same san I can get about
    > 30 MB/sec under ideal conditions - all the overhead of making tons of file
    > markers, etc. For example back up a 20GB directory to tape, get X
    > performance, then back that up into a big file (or say 10 2GB files) and back
    > them up and get 2X or 3X performance. Thats not unusual.
    >
    > Other things impact performance - multiplexing can help or hinder depending
    > on what your setup is. You could have a network bottleneck, a problem on
    > your media server, etc. If your clients are slow you can write to RAM and
    > you won't get good performance.
    >
    > Also buffers - up them to 256 across the board, most likely. But TEST TEST
    > TEST your restores after you make these changes. you may find that the
    > changes report a successful backup but then you can't restore the data.
    >
    > The perf guide lays this all out, and then goes into excellent detail for
    > more problematic areas.
    >
    > Kevin Markle wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a Windows master server with:
    >> 1) 4GB of ram.
    >> 2) 2 3.06 processors.
    >> 3) ADIC Scaler i2k with 6 Fiber attached LTO3 tape drives.
    >> 4) Most of our backups are done with inline copy.
    >>
    >> In backing up servers I get anywhere from 3000KB to 14000KB. Does this
    >> sound normalish or?
    >>
    >> We have some servers that are 4-8TB and I was wondering if you guys
    >> have had any success in dealing with this issue.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Kevin M

    Hello,

    It sounds like you are getting 50000kb per second on the exchange
    server? Is that with no multiplexing. Is that using standard Netbackup
    or some option like SSO?

    Thanks!

    Kevin M

  9. Re: Range of speed of backups?

    Kevin Markle wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >It sounds like you are getting 50000kb per second on the exchange
    >server? Is that with no multiplexing. Is that using standard Netbackup
    >or some option like SSO?

    Kevin,

    Yes under ideal conditions around MB/sec (bytes not bits). That's ideal
    - no other backups running, the exchange server backup running off-hours.
    Normal backup sustained rates for exchange are between 30-45MB/sec when
    other backups running, etc.

    Note that the backup-to-null rate for those exchange servers are around 80
    MB/sec. I probably could get a bit more if I had LTO3 but there are other
    issues then. In fact at some points I'm actually pulling from the san too
    fast, need to throttle back to not affect users.

    Good luck. the perf guide is excellent, it should help quite a lot.
    Mike

  10. Re: Range of speed of backups?

    Hi Kevin,

    Do you use multi-plexing?

    You say Win2003, so which buffer size did you change? Was it
    SIZE_DATA_BUFFERS? I thought most Windows HBA drivers had to be tweaked
    (either in Device Manage, but more commonly via registry) to support larger
    buffers - but most importantly I thought the MS standard "tape.sys" driver
    only supported 64KB buffers? Are you using Veritas drivers? Did you test
    that you can actually restore data both from before and after the buffer
    size changes?

    Regards,
    Dave.

    >D R laid this down on his screen :
    >> Hi Kevin,
    >>
    >> O/S version? NBU version? Number of NICs? Number of HBAs? Are the
    >> NICs/HBAs 32 or 64 bit? What speed slots are they in, 33MHz or 66MHz?
    >> What tweaks have you tried? What is the FC/SAN/SSO topology? What speed
    >> SAN, 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb 10Gb? How many SAN switches? And which switches are
    >> the drives connected too? Are the drives true FC drives or are they
    >> connected via some sort of FC/SCSI bridge? What multi-plexing do you have
    >> in place (on policies and on the storage units)? What is the
    >> manufacturers quoted speed of backplane for the master/media server? No
    >> extra media servers? Just one combined master/media?
    >>
    >> What brand tape drives? What is the manufacturers quoted "sustained" (not
    >> burst) speed? N.B. some early LTO3 drives were quoted at 40MB/s sustained
    >> streaming, whereas some are now saying 60MB/s or even 80MB/s. What are
    >> yours? Are all the tape drives exactly the same? Same brand, model and
    >> firmware?
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Dave.
    >>

    >> "Kevin Markle" wrote in message
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have a Windows master server with:
    >>> 1) 4GB of ram.
    >>> 2) 2 3.06 processors.
    >>> 3) ADIC Scaler i2k with 6 Fiber attached LTO3 tape drives.
    >>> 4) Most of our backups are done with inline copy.
    >>>
    >>> In backing up servers I get anywhere from 3000KB to 14000KB. Does this
    >>> sound normalish or?
    >>>
    >>> We have some servers that are 4-8TB and I was wondering if you guys have
    >>> had any success in dealing with this issue.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>>
    >>> Kevin M
    >>>

    > W3k 2003
    > 1 GB NIC
    > 64 bit slot.
    > I have attempted to increase the buffer size and this has helped.
    >
    > Our you getting better thru put that the numbers listed above? That is a
    > range from the job monitor. So that would be per second per server. My
    > boss asked me to see if those ranges are within an acceptable range.

+ Reply to Thread