Tape copy - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Tape copy - Veritas Net Backup ; I have a customer that has a strange requirement. They would like to use their NBU environment to back up to a VTL. After backups are done, they want to take a separate master server and copy the tapes from ...

  1. Tape copy

    I have a customer that has a strange requirement. They would like to use their
    NBU environment to back up to a VTL. After backups are done, they want to
    take a separate master server and copy the tapes from the VTL to physical
    tape. Is there a way to do this without importing each tape. Looking for
    something like a block level copy?

    Thanks in advance.

    pat

  2. Re: Tape copy

    Hi Pat,

    could this be helpfull?

    http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281314.htm
    "VERITAS NetBackup (tm) best practices guide on migrating to or integrating
    new tape drive technologies in existing libraries."

    bye
    Para

    "Pat" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > I have a customer that has a strange requirement. They would like to use

    their
    > NBU environment to back up to a VTL. After backups are done, they want to
    > take a separate master server and copy the tapes from the VTL to physical
    > tape. Is there a way to do this without importing each tape. Looking for
    > something like a block level copy?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > pat

  3. Re: Tape copy

    I do not know of any way to do this without importing in the current version
    of NetBackup. A new feature that will be introduced in NetBackup 6.5 will
    be tape to tape copy. This will allow for copies direct from one tape device
    to another independent of the NetBackup Master/Media server. Although, I
    believe the images will still have to be imported on the second Master server
    if it is to be used for restore.

    ################################################## ##############################

    "Pat" wrote:

    >I have a customer that has a strange requirement. They would like to use

    their
    >NBU environment to back up to a VTL. After backups are done, they want to
    >take a separate master server and copy the tapes from the VTL to physical
    >tape. Is there a way to do this without importing each tape. Looking for
    >something like a block level copy?
    >

    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >pat

+ Reply to Thread