Combine Unix and Windows master servers - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Combine Unix and Windows master servers - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi List, For political reasons, my company had implemented two complete installations of NBU Enterprise. One on Unix and then one on Windows. Now that times have changed, we are looking to combine the two systems. Both are running v6.0MP4 ...

  1. Combine Unix and Windows master servers

    Hi List,

    For political reasons, my company had implemented two complete installations
    of NBU Enterprise. One on Unix and then one on Windows. Now that times
    have changed, we are looking to combine the two systems. Both are running
    v6.0MP4 and I think that it would be possible to combine them into one master
    server capacity-wise. How feasible is it combine them into one?

    Thanks

    Paul

  2. Re: Combine Unix and Windows master servers

    I don't see any reason. I run Solaris/SPARC NBU 6.0 and it's backing up both
    Win and Unix. Just use various combinations of bpplinfo, bpsched, bpplnew,
    bpclient, etc and craft some script to "export/import" your Policies. This
    should be part of NBU tools but you can do it yourself.

    "Paul" wrote:

    >Hi List,
    >
    >For political reasons, my company had implemented two complete installations
    >of NBU Enterprise. One on Unix and then one on Windows. Now that times
    >have changed, we are looking to combine the two systems. Both are running
    >v6.0MP4 and I think that it would be possible to combine them into one master
    >server capacity-wise. How feasible is it combine them into one?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Paul

  3. Re: Combine Unix and Windows master servers

    Thanks for the response.

    Is there a way to combine the catalogs so that restores from before combining
    the systems would be available?

    Thanks

    Paul

    "Chan" wrote:

    >I don't see any reason. I run Solaris/SPARC NBU 6.0 and it's backing up

    both
    >Win and Unix. Just use various combinations of bpplinfo, bpsched, bpplnew,
    >bpclient, etc and craft some script to "export/import" your Policies. This
    >should be part of NBU tools but you can do it yourself.
    >
    >"Paul" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi List,
    >>
    >>For political reasons, my company had implemented two complete installations
    >>of NBU Enterprise. One on Unix and then one on Windows. Now that times
    >>have changed, we are looking to combine the two systems. Both are running
    >>v6.0MP4 and I think that it would be possible to combine them into one

    master
    >>server capacity-wise. How feasible is it combine them into one?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>Paul

  4. Re: Combine Unix and Windows master servers

    Have you tried backing up the catalog data on the server you are going to
    decommission and restoring them to the server you are going to use? At some
    point, you are probably going to want to make one of them a media server.
    "Paul" wrote:

    >Thanks for the response.
    >
    >Is there a way to combine the catalogs so that restores from before combining
    >the systems would be available?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Paul
    >
    >"Chan" wrote:
    >>
    >>I don't see any reason. I run Solaris/SPARC NBU 6.0 and it's backing up

    >both
    >>Win and Unix. Just use various combinations of bpplinfo, bpsched, bpplnew,
    >>bpclient, etc and craft some script to "export/import" your Policies.

    This
    >>should be part of NBU tools but you can do it yourself.
    >>
    >>"Paul" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi List,
    >>>
    >>>For political reasons, my company had implemented two complete installations
    >>>of NBU Enterprise. One on Unix and then one on Windows. Now that times
    >>>have changed, we are looking to combine the two systems. Both are running
    >>>v6.0MP4 and I think that it would be possible to combine them into one

    >master
    >>>server capacity-wise. How feasible is it combine them into one?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>
    >>>Paul

+ Reply to Thread