Incrementals problem - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Incrementals problem - Veritas Net Backup ; hey, does anyone know what could be wrong with my incrementals backing up too much data? I have weekly fulls and daily incrementals. I used to do it based on the archive bit but Sophos messes with that. Switched to ...

  1. Incrementals problem

    hey, does anyone know what could be wrong with my incrementals backing up
    too much data?

    I have weekly fulls and daily incrementals. I used to do it based on the
    archive bit but Sophos messes with that. Switched to time stamp and still
    seeing basically full backups for incrementals. What should I check? Looked
    at the actual files and don't see a new timestamp or anything. NBU6 MP4

  2. Re: Incrementals problem

    Hi Chan,

    What is the O/S type and version for the problem client?

    Check out the documentation on USE_CTIME_FOR_INCREMENTALS and
    DO_NOT_RESET_LAST_ACCESS_TIME.

    This should get you started for Solaris clients:

    For Solaris clients, I think only one of the options is configurable via the
    Windows based Remote Admin Console GUI. The other has to be manually added
    to the clients "bp.conf" file. I think both options are configurable for
    Windows clients via the Windows based Remote Admin Console. I don't know
    either way for the Java or X-Windows based Admon Consoles.

    I am assuming that your incremental and full schedules are in the same
    policy (no matter what the O/S is). Is this true?

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Chan" wrote in message news:4639f105@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > hey, does anyone know what could be wrong with my incrementals backing up
    > too much data?
    >
    > I have weekly fulls and daily incrementals. I used to do it based on the
    > archive bit but Sophos messes with that. Switched to time stamp and still
    > seeing basically full backups for incrementals. What should I check?
    > Looked
    > at the actual files and don't see a new timestamp or anything. NBU6 MP4

  3. Re: Incrementals problem

    Thanks D.R. I observed improvement when using modified timestamp for CIncrementals.
    There are a few clients where there are no improvement. I'm still investigating
    them.

    "D R" wrote:
    >Hi Chan,
    >
    >What is the O/S type and version for the problem client?
    >
    >Check out the documentation on USE_CTIME_FOR_INCREMENTALS and
    >DO_NOT_RESET_LAST_ACCESS_TIME.
    >
    >This should get you started for Solaris clients:
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/200644.htm
    >
    >For Solaris clients, I think only one of the options is configurable via

    the
    >Windows based Remote Admin Console GUI. The other has to be manually added

    >to the clients "bp.conf" file. I think both options are configurable for

    >Windows clients via the Windows based Remote Admin Console. I don't know

    >either way for the Java or X-Windows based Admon Consoles.
    >
    >I am assuming that your incremental and full schedules are in the same
    >policy (no matter what the O/S is). Is this true?
    >
    >Regards,
    >Dave.
    >

    >"Chan" wrote in message news:4639f105@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> hey, does anyone know what could be wrong with my incrementals backing

    up
    >> too much data?
    >>
    >> I have weekly fulls and daily incrementals. I used to do it based on

    the
    >> archive bit but Sophos messes with that. Switched to time stamp and still
    >> seeing basically full backups for incrementals. What should I check?

    >> Looked
    >> at the actual files and don't see a new timestamp or anything. NBU6 MP4

+ Reply to Thread