Poor preformance - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Poor preformance - Veritas Net Backup ; have the following: Master server: Netbackup 5.1 MP4 Dual 2.0 Gig Intel Zeon processors 2 gigs of Ram 100 full duplex fiber channel card connected through the SAN to a IBM 3584 tape library with 6 LTO GEN tape drives. ...

  1. Poor preformance

    have the following:

    Master server:
    Netbackup 5.1 MP4
    Dual 2.0 Gig Intel Zeon processors
    2 gigs of Ram
    100 full duplex
    fiber channel card connected through the SAN to a IBM 3584 tape library
    with 6 LTO GEN tape drives.

    I am not sure where the problem is most of my backup run at 2000 KB per sec.

    (I think this is pretty slow) Are there any configurations that that anyone
    would suggest?

    My master server is set to 100 full duplex, does the client side need to
    be set to 100 full duplex as well?

  2. Re: Poor preformance

    Hi John,
    If you have multiplexed backups then, say maybe 8 backups per drive, then
    you could see about 2MB/s average - but anyway that still seems slow.
    Is the master server the only server (i.e. no proper single purpose media
    servers?)?
    What version of LTO do you use? (LTO1, LTO2, LTO3, trialing LTO4 perhaps?)
    How big is yr SAN pipe? 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb or 10Gb?
    SAN direct attached tape drives, or SCSI via a gateway/bridge?
    How many clients?
    etc...
    The only reason I ask, is that NetBackup is SOOOooooo configurable, that
    your only a clear description (from *all* the NetBackup angles) will help
    others in determining where your problem(s) lie.
    Regards,
    Dave.

    "J" wrote in message news:460afbd0@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > have the following:
    >
    > Master server:
    > Netbackup 5.1 MP4
    > Dual 2.0 Gig Intel Zeon processors
    > 2 gigs of Ram
    > 100 full duplex
    > fiber channel card connected through the SAN to a IBM 3584 tape library
    > with 6 LTO GEN tape drives.
    >
    > I am not sure where the problem is most of my backup run at 2000 KB per
    > sec.
    >
    > (I think this is pretty slow) Are there any configurations that that
    > anyone
    > would suggest?
    >
    > My master server is set to 100 full duplex, does the client side need to
    > be set to 100 full duplex as well?

  3. Re: Poor preformance

    Hi John,

    If your single master/media server only has one 100Mb NIC, then the most
    that will achieve is about 12MB/s divided over 6 drives, gives 2MB/s per
    drive, which I guess is what you are seeing.

    LTO1 is native 15MB/s and can stream 30MB/s if the data is textual and/or
    highly compressible. (N.B. Never use "NetBackup" policy compression as LTO1
    drives always attempt compression in the hardware of the tape drive itself).

    Anyway, you have six drives, all capable of about 22MB/s each, so 6 x 22MB/s
    = 132MB/s = 1056Mb/s.

    Seems to me that you need a minimum of a 1Gb ethernet card. I would go for
    two teamed in an active/active scenario, giving your master/media server the
    ability to receive 2Gb/s incoming from clients via the NICs.

    As for driving the tapes, I guess they must be attached to a switch. Most
    modern FC HBAs and switches are capable of 2Gb. See if you can just change
    the settings on the HBAs and switch. If not, you may need to acquire
    another HBA of exactly the same chip ROM hardware (e.g. Qlogin Dragonfly v1
    or v2, e.g. not all QLogic 2340 cards have the same chip - I'm not talking
    about firmware, I mean the actual IC on the boards/cards) and exactly the
    same firmware. This way you'll have 2 x 1Gb, and if you zone the SAN you
    should be able to configure each HBA to talk to three tape drives.

    You will need to check the mobo on your server, and make sure thatthe 1Gb
    NICs site in the 66MHz PCI-X slots, and put the 1Gb HBAs in the 33 MHz
    standard PCI slots - is my two cents.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "J" wrote in message news:460c0d28@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > DR,
    >
    > I am not using mutiplexing.
    >
    > LTO1
    >
    > I only have one media/ master server
    >
    > The SAN pipe is set to 1gig
    >
    > SAN direct attached tape drives
    >
    > 20 Clients 3 are unix servers the rest are windows 2000 and 2003
    >
    > "D R" wrote:
    >>Hi John,
    >>If you have multiplexed backups then, say maybe 8 backups per drive, then

    >>you could see about 2MB/s average - but anyway that still seems slow.
    >>Is the master server the only server (i.e. no proper single purpose media

    >>servers?)?
    >>What version of LTO do you use? (LTO1, LTO2, LTO3, trialing LTO4
    >>perhaps?)
    >>How big is yr SAN pipe? 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb or 10Gb?
    >>SAN direct attached tape drives, or SCSI via a gateway/bridge?
    >>How many clients?
    >>etc...
    >>The only reason I ask, is that NetBackup is SOOOooooo configurable, that

    >>your only a clear description (from *all* the NetBackup angles) will help

    >>others in determining where your problem(s) lie.
    >>Regards,
    >>Dave.
    >>

    >>"J" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> have the following:
    >>>
    >>> Master server:
    >>> Netbackup 5.1 MP4
    >>> Dual 2.0 Gig Intel Zeon processors
    >>> 2 gigs of Ram
    >>> 100 full duplex
    >>> fiber channel card connected through the SAN to a IBM 3584 tape library
    >>> with 6 LTO GEN tape drives.
    >>>
    >>> I am not sure where the problem is most of my backup run at 2000 KB per

    >>> sec.
    >>>
    >>> (I think this is pretty slow) Are there any configurations that that

    >>> anyone
    >>> would suggest?
    >>>
    >>> My master server is set to 100 full duplex, does the client side need

    >>> be set to 100 full duplex as well?

  4. Re: Poor preformance

    "D R" wrote:
    >Hi John,
    >If you have multiplexed backups then, say maybe 8 backups per drive, then

    >you could see about 2MB/s average - but anyway that still seems slow.
    >Is the master server the only server (i.e. no proper single purpose media

    >servers?)?
    >What version of LTO do you use? (LTO1, LTO2, LTO3, trialing LTO4 perhaps?)
    >How big is yr SAN pipe? 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb or 10Gb?
    >SAN direct attached tape drives, or SCSI via a gateway/bridge?
    >How many clients?
    >etc...
    >The only reason I ask, is that NetBackup is SOOOooooo configurable, that

    >your only a clear description (from *all* the NetBackup angles) will help

    >others in determining where your problem(s) lie.
    >Regards,
    >Dave.
    >

    >"J" wrote in message news:460afbd0@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> have the following:
    >>
    >> Master server:
    >> Netbackup 5.1 MP4
    >> Dual 2.0 Gig Intel Zeon processors
    >> 2 gigs of Ram
    >> 100 full duplex
    >> fiber channel card connected through the SAN to a IBM 3584 tape library
    >> with 6 LTO GEN tape drives.
    >>
    >> I am not sure where the problem is most of my backup run at 2000 KB per

    >> sec.
    >>
    >> (I think this is pretty slow) Are there any configurations that that

    >> anyone
    >> would suggest?
    >>
    >> My master server is set to 100 full duplex, does the client side need

    >> be set to 100 full duplex as well?

  5. Re: Poor preformance

    "D R" wrote:
    >Hi John,
    >If you have multiplexed backups then, say maybe 8 backups per drive, then

    >you could see about 2MB/s average - but anyway that still seems slow.
    >Is the master server the only server (i.e. no proper single purpose media

    >servers?)?
    >What version of LTO do you use? (LTO1, LTO2, LTO3, trialing LTO4 perhaps?)
    >How big is yr SAN pipe? 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb or 10Gb?
    >SAN direct attached tape drives, or SCSI via a gateway/bridge?
    >How many clients?
    >etc...
    >The only reason I ask, is that NetBackup is SOOOooooo configurable, that

    >your only a clear description (from *all* the NetBackup angles) will help

    >others in determining where your problem(s) lie.
    >Regards,
    >Dave.
    >

    >"J" wrote in message news:460afbd0@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> have the following:
    >>
    >> Master server:
    >> Netbackup 5.1 MP4
    >> Dual 2.0 Gig Intel Zeon processors
    >> 2 gigs of Ram
    >> 100 full duplex
    >> fiber channel card connected through the SAN to a IBM 3584 tape library
    >> with 6 LTO GEN tape drives.
    >>
    >> I am not sure where the problem is most of my backup run at 2000 KB per

    >> sec.
    >>
    >> (I think this is pretty slow) Are there any configurations that that

    >> anyone
    >> would suggest?
    >>
    >> My master server is set to 100 full duplex, does the client side need

    >> be set to 100 full duplex as well?

  6. Re: Poor preformance

    As for the your newtork NIC settings, It Depends.

    Usually, a backup infrastructure environment is configured with servers and
    network devices, such as servers, switched and routers. The servers and
    network devices have ports that are all configurable. Many production
    environments try to standardize on port settings, like 100MB Full Duplex.
    Then all NICS should be set at 100 Full. At a minimum, the server NICS
    should match the network device port configuration settings. Good
    practice would have all network device ports and server NICS with the same
    configuration settings.

    "J" wrote in message news:460afbd0@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > have the following:
    >
    > Master server:
    > Netbackup 5.1 MP4
    > Dual 2.0 Gig Intel Zeon processors
    > 2 gigs of Ram
    > 100 full duplex
    > fiber channel card connected through the SAN to a IBM 3584 tape library
    > with 6 LTO GEN tape drives.
    >
    > I am not sure where the problem is most of my backup run at 2000 KB per
    > sec.
    >
    > (I think this is pretty slow) Are there any configurations that that
    > anyone
    > would suggest?
    >
    > My master server is set to 100 full duplex, does the client side need to
    > be set to 100 full duplex as well?

  7. Re: Poor preformance

    John wrote, in part, on 3/29/2007 5:29 PM:
    > I have 2 Broadcom Netextreme Gigabyte nics but they do not have a GIG full
    > duplex setting (I know that they will negotiate to a Gig) but will it cause
    > an issue if it is not full duplex?

    In my somewhat limited experience, auto-negotiate is bad for 100mbps
    only - Gb works well and should or must be set to 1000 auto.

    cheers, wayne

  8. Re: Poor preformance

    "D R" wrote:
> [...]

    >> 20 Clients 3 are unix servers the rest are windows 2000 and 2003
    >>
    >> "D R" wrote:
    >>>Hi John,
    >>>If you have multiplexed backups then, say maybe 8 backups per drive, then

    >>>you could see about 2MB/s average - but anyway that still seems slow.
    >>>Is the master server the only server (i.e. no proper single purpose media

    >>>servers?)?
    >>>What version of LTO do you use? (LTO1, LTO2, LTO3, trialing LTO4
    >>>perhaps?)
    >>>How big is yr SAN pipe? 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb or 10Gb?
    >>>SAN direct attached tape drives, or SCSI via a gateway/bridge?
    >>>How many clients?
    >>>etc...
    >>>The only reason I ask, is that NetBackup is SOOOooooo configurable, that

    >>>your only a clear description (from *all* the NetBackup angles) will help

    >>>others in determining where your problem(s) lie.

  9. Re: Poor preformance

    Dave,

    One thing that I have tried before is teaming the NIC's and I was unsucessful
    doing this my speeds were never very fast when I teamed 2 nics together.

    Is their a trick or a setting that I missed?

    and

    I have 2 Broadcom Netextreme Gigabyte nics but they do not have a GIG full
    duplex setting (I know that they will negotiate to a Gig) but will it cause
    an issue if it is not full duplex?

    Thank you,

    Dave

    "D R" wrote:
> [...]

    >> 20 Clients 3 are unix servers the rest are windows 2000 and 2003
    >>
    >> "D R" wrote:
    >>>Hi John,
    >>>If you have multiplexed backups then, say maybe 8 backups per drive, then

    >>>you could see about 2MB/s average - but anyway that still seems slow.
    >>>Is the master server the only server (i.e. no proper single purpose media

    >>>servers?)?
    >>>What version of LTO do you use? (LTO1, LTO2, LTO3, trialing LTO4
    >>>perhaps?)
    >>>How big is yr SAN pipe? 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb or 10Gb?
    >>>SAN direct attached tape drives, or SCSI via a gateway/bridge?
    >>>How many clients?
    >>>etc...
    >>>The only reason I ask, is that NetBackup is SOOOooooo configurable, that

    >>>your only a clear description (from *all* the NetBackup angles) will help

    >>>others in determining where your problem(s) lie.

  10. Re: Poor preformance

    Hi John,

    I didn't think that 1Gb NIC had any concept of half or full duplex, a 1Gb is
    just a 1Gb NIC. Only 10Mb and 100Mb NICs have a full or half-duplex
    settings.

    If your master/media has a 1Gb NIC, but the network switch port is set to
    100Mb/s then all your master/media server will ever be able to receive is
    about 12MB/s. If you can't get teaming to work, then just have the 1Gb NIC
    attached to a 1Gb switch port, and then you will get about 120MB/s incoming
    max.

    10 Mb/s = 1.2 MB/s
    100 Mb/s = 12 MB/s
    1000 Mb/s (i.e. 1 Gb/s) = 12 MB/s

    Modern servers all have 1Gb NICs as standard. However, those of us with
    older networks and servers, nrmally have one or two 1Gb NICs in media
    servers (i.e. the servers doing the tape writing), and 100Mb NICs in the
    clients (i.e. the servers to be backed up).

    Normally client NIC speeds do not have to match media server NIC speeds. A
    NetBackup media server is a data concentrator, you normally have many 100Mb
    clients all sending their data via a high performance switch to 1Gb media
    servers. The media servers gather/concentrate the data and package it all
    together (multi-plex) and write to tapes over the SAN.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "John" wrote in message

    > Dave,
    >
    > One thing that I have tried before is teaming the NIC's and I was
    > unsucessful
    > doing this my speeds were never very fast when I teamed 2 nics together.
    >

    > Is their a trick or a setting that I missed?
    >
    > and
    >

    > I have 2 Broadcom Netextreme Gigabyte nics but they do not have a GIG full
    > duplex setting (I know that they will negotiate to a Gig) but will it
    > cause
    > an issue if it is not full duplex?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Dave
    >
    > "D R" wrote:
    >>Hi John,
    >>
    >>If your single master/media server only has one 100Mb NIC, then the most

    >>that will achieve is about 12MB/s divided over 6 drives, gives 2MB/s per

    >>drive, which I guess is what you are seeing.
    >>
    >>LTO1 is native 15MB/s and can stream 30MB/s if the data is textual and/or

    >>highly compressible. (N.B. Never use "NetBackup" policy compression as

    > LTO1
    >>drives always attempt compression in the hardware of the tape drive
    >>itself).
    >>
    >>Anyway, you have six drives, all capable of about 22MB/s each, so 6 x
    >>22MB/s

    >>= 132MB/s = 1056Mb/s.
    >>
    >>Seems to me that you need a minimum of a 1Gb ethernet card. I would go

    > for
    >>two teamed in an active/active scenario, giving your master/media server

    > the
    >>ability to receive 2Gb/s incoming from clients via the NICs.
    >>
    >>As for driving the tapes, I guess they must be attached to a switch. Most

    >>modern FC HBAs and switches are capable of 2Gb. See if you can just change

    >>the settings on the HBAs and switch. If not, you may need to acquire
    >>another HBA of exactly the same chip ROM hardware (e.g. Qlogin Dragonfly

    > v1
    >>or v2, e.g. not all QLogic 2340 cards have the same chip - I'm not talking

    >>about firmware, I mean the actual IC on the boards/cards) and exactly the

    >>same firmware. This way you'll have 2 x 1Gb, and if you zone the SAN you

    >>should be able to configure each HBA to talk to three tape drives.
    >>
    >>You will need to check the mobo on your server, and make sure thatthe 1Gb

    >>NICs site in the 66MHz PCI-X slots, and put the 1Gb HBAs in the 33 MHz
    >>standard PCI slots - is my two cents.
    >>
    >>Hope this helps.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Dave.
    >>

    >>"J" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> DR,
    >>>
    >>> I am not using mutiplexing.
    >>>
    >>> LTO1
    >>>
    >>> I only have one media/ master server
    >>>
    >>> The SAN pipe is set to 1gig
    >>>
    >>> SAN direct attached tape drives
    >>>
    >>> 20 Clients 3 are unix servers the rest are windows 2000 and 2003

    > per

  11. Re: Poor preformance

    "J" wrote:

    >have the following:
    >
    >Master server:
    >Netbackup 5.1 MP4
    >Dual 2.0 Gig Intel Zeon processors
    >2 gigs of Ram
    >100 full duplex
    >fiber channel card connected through the SAN to a IBM 3584 tape library

    >with 6 LTO GEN tape drives.
    >
    >I am not sure where the problem is most of my backup run at 2000 KB per

    sec.

    >(I think this is pretty slow) Are there any configurations that that anyone
    >would suggest?
    >
    >My master server is set to 100 full duplex, does the client side need to
    >be set to 100 full duplex as well?
    >

    >How many mediaserver works together with masterserver?

    The problem is not the network interface with 100 Mbit FD.

    Rico

  12. Re: Poor preformance

    "J" wrote:

    >have the following:
    >
    >Master server:
    >Netbackup 5.1 MP4
    >Dual 2.0 Gig Intel Zeon processors
    >2 gigs of Ram
    >100 full duplex
    >fiber channel card connected through the SAN to a IBM 3584 tape library

    >with 6 LTO GEN tape drives.
    >
    >I am not sure where the problem is most of my backup run at 2000 KB per

    sec.

    >(I think this is pretty slow) Are there any configurations that that anyone
    >would suggest?
    >
    >My master server is set to 100 full duplex, does the client side need to
    >be set to 100 full duplex as well?
    >

    >How many mediaserver works together with masterserver?

    The problem is not the network interface with 100 Mbit FD.

    Rico

+ Reply to Thread