need to recover data from old tapes to Netbackup 6 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on need to recover data from old tapes to Netbackup 6 - Veritas Net Backup ; We have a Netbackup 6 mp4 server that I need to recover some old tapes into. The tapes are not a part of the current catalog, and were made with an older version of netbackup. As to which specific version, ...

  1. need to recover data from old tapes to Netbackup 6

    We have a Netbackup 6 mp4 server that I need to recover some old tapes into.
    The tapes are not a part of the current catalog, and were made with an older
    version of netbackup. As to which specific version, I do not know. Is there
    a generally accepted procedure to add these tapes to the current catalog?
    there is quite a few of these tapes, and I would like to script this process
    if possible.
    Thanks,
    John

  2. Re: need to recover data from old tapes to Netbackup 6

    Hi John,

    There's a 2-step import procedure for media from other media/master servers
    or older versions. Check the command reference for the 'bpimport' command.
    Examples are povided. You should be able to script something like this:

    Step 1:
    bpimport -create_db_info -id <-This will create catalog entries
    for all
    images
    on
    Step 2:
    bpimport <- this should
    automatically import
    images
    cataloged from Step 1.

    You should be able to feed your media IDs into a loop that incorporates these
    two commands.

    Depending on how full each tape is, this may a couple of hours per tape.

    "John Hess" wrote:

    >We have a Netbackup 6 mp4 server that I need to recover some old tapes into.
    > The tapes are not a part of the current catalog, and were made with an

    older
    >version of netbackup. As to which specific version, I do not know. Is

    there
    >a generally accepted procedure to add these tapes to the current catalog?
    > there is quite a few of these tapes, and I would like to script this process
    >if possible.
    >Thanks,
    >John

+ Reply to Thread