Files are backuped in Incremental backup even if Archive Bit isn't set ! - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Files are backuped in Incremental backup even if Archive Bit isn't set ! - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi ! One of my Netbackup client (Windows 2003 server) has some problem with Incremental backups. In fact, a lot of file who haven't been modified (archive bit=0) are backuped in each Incremental backup. I did some tests on the ...

  1. Files are backuped in Incremental backup even if Archive Bit isn't set !

    Hi !

    One of my Netbackup client (Windows 2003 server) has some problem with
    Incremental backups. In fact, a lot of file who haven't been modified
    (archive bit=0) are backuped in each Incremental backup. I did some tests on
    the client and when I replace all folders and files permissions with the
    permissions of the root backup folder, it works (using option "Apply
    permissions on all child objects..." ) . So, it seems that the NetBackup
    client doesn't always take the "archive bit" to determine if a file needs to
    be backuped or not. Why when I change the folders/files permissions it works
    ??

    Does anyone already encounter this problem ?

    Regards

    Lucien

  2. Re: Files are backuped in Incremental backup even if Archive Bit isn't set !

    You may have checked this already, but on Windows clients, you can use date
    & time instead of the archive bit. In the admin console, open Host Properties->Clients
    Select the client, and open it. Open the "Windows Client" branch, and select
    the "Client Properties" tab. There is a radio button with the choices labeled
    "Based on Timestamp" and "Based on Archive Bit". Only one of these can be
    selected. If "Based on Timestamp" is selected, the archive bit is ignored.

    Hope this helps.

    There is a setting
    "Lucien Chaboudez" wrote:
    >Hi !
    >
    >One of my Netbackup client (Windows 2003 server) has some problem with
    >Incremental backups. In fact, a lot of file who haven't been modified
    >(archive bit=0) are backuped in each Incremental backup. I did some tests

    on
    >the client and when I replace all folders and files permissions with the

    >permissions of the root backup folder, it works (using option "Apply
    >permissions on all child objects..." ) . So, it seems that the NetBackup

    >client doesn't always take the "archive bit" to determine if a file needs

    >be backuped or not. Why when I change the folders/files permissions it works

    >??
    >
    >Does anyone already encounter this problem ?
    >
    >Regards
    >
    >Lucien

  3. Re: Files are backuped in Incremental backup even if Archive Bit isn't set !

    Hi !!

    Problem solved with NB6.5.1 !! before 6.5.1 our client was backuping 2TB
    per day and now, 500-700MB only :-)

    "Mike Perri" wrote:

    >You may have checked this already, but on Windows clients, you can use date
    >& time instead of the archive bit. In the admin console, open Host Properties->Clients
    >Select the client, and open it. Open the "Windows Client" branch, and select
    >the "Client Properties" tab. There is a radio button with the choices labeled
    >"Based on Timestamp" and "Based on Archive Bit". Only one of these can

    be
    >selected. If "Based on Timestamp" is selected, the archive bit is ignored.
    >
    >Hope this helps.
    >

    >There is a setting
    >"Lucien Chaboudez" wrote:
    >>Hi !
    >>
    >>One of my Netbackup client (Windows 2003 server) has some problem with

    >>Incremental backups. In fact, a lot of file who haven't been modified
    >>(archive bit=0) are backuped in each Incremental backup. I did some tests

    >on
    >>the client and when I replace all folders and files permissions with the

    >>permissions of the root backup folder, it works (using option "Apply
    >>permissions on all child objects..." ) . So, it seems that the NetBackup

    >>client doesn't always take the "archive bit" to determine if a file needs

    >>be backuped or not. Why when I change the folders/files permissions it

    works

    >>??
    >>
    >>Does anyone already encounter this problem ?
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>
    >>Lucien

+ Reply to Thread