VSP cache files on Windows 2003 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on VSP cache files on Windows 2003 - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi Customer use Windows 2003 NBU Client 6.x MP3 NBU Server 6.x MP3 Solaris Customer say, that the Backup from clients are not work with VSP Cache files. He must reboot the Windows clients, that the problem are fixed. He ...

  1. VSP cache files on Windows 2003

    Hi

    Customer use Windows 2003 NBU Client 6.x MP3
    NBU Server 6.x MP3 Solaris

    Customer say, that the Backup from clients are not work with VSP Cache files.
    He must reboot the Windows clients, that the problem are fixed.

    He see every time error 50.
    Is this fix in MP4?
    Or what we done wrong by Backup VSP cache Files?

  2. Re: VSP cache files on Windows 2003

    Hi Mike,

    You need to do four things on each client:

    1) Identify the NetBackup client/agent version on each affected client.
    2) Either use the version number, or look at the root of locally attached
    drives, and identify the VSP cache file naming convention used by that
    particular version of the client - i.e. look for old VSP cache files that
    haven't been deleted.
    2a) Check drives as backups are running, and identify names of any VSP cache
    files that are created.
    3) Exclude the identified VSP cache files from any anti-virus scanning - you
    must do this.
    4) Exclude the identified VSP cache files from each NetBackup client - you
    should do this.

    The naming conventions of the VSP cache files, I have so far identified as
    (but I do not guarantee that these are correct - just my notes):

    N.B. v4.5 and v5.x clients write their VSP file in the root of the volume,
    whereas v6.0 clients write the VSP file in a specific folder that is created
    by NetBackup VSP.

    VSP Cache File Names:

    v4.5 *:\VSPCache*.VSP

    v5.1 (pre MP3aS2) *:\_vxfiVspCacheFile_*.tmp

    v5.1 MP3aS2 + *:\_vxfiVspCacheFile_*.VSP

    v6.0 *:\NBU_VSP_Cache\_vxfiVspCacheFile_*.vsp

    HTH,
    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Mike guwak" wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > Customer use Windows 2003 NBU Client 6.x MP3
    > NBU Server 6.x MP3 Solaris
    >
    > Customer say, that the Backup from clients are not work with VSP Cache
    > files.
    > He must reboot the Windows clients, that the problem are fixed.
    >
    > He see every time error 50.
    > Is this fix in MP4?
    > Or what we done wrong by Backup VSP cache Files?

  3. Re: VSP cache files on Windows 2003

    Mike,

    I will also add, that in it's default configuration VSP is allowed (by
    default) to claim upto 30GB on *ANY* locally attached volume (it won't use
    network mapped drives). Do you want your backups to potentially use 30GB of
    disk space on your C drive?

    I typically change the "VSP Client Settings" to be as follows:

    1) Add driver letter:
    ....to the list of excluded drives. Exclude means two things - a) do not use
    VSP to backup the specified exclude volume(s), and b) do not store/write VSP
    cache files on the specified exclude volume(s) for use in backing up any
    other drive.

    2) Set the space usage calculation to be MB based (not the default
    percentage based).

    3) Set the minimum initial size to 100 MB

    4) Set the maximum allowed to 1000MB (i.e. 1GB).

    5) Leave the busy file wait at 5 seconds - but do change the busy file
    timeout from 300 seconds to 30 seconds.

    In summary, VSP out of the box is about as much use a chocolate teapot. In
    fact both VSP and VSS are poor mans snapshot tools. The best bet for locked
    files, is to close the application/databases/services that use live
    production files for the duration of backups, and then restart the
    applications/database/services after the backup completes.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Mike guwak" wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > Customer use Windows 2003 NBU Client 6.x MP3
    > NBU Server 6.x MP3 Solaris
    >
    > Customer say, that the Backup from clients are not work with VSP Cache
    > files.
    > He must reboot the Windows clients, that the problem are fixed.
    >
    > He see every time error 50.
    > Is this fix in MP4?
    > Or what we done wrong by Backup VSP cache Files?

  4. Re: VSP cache files on Windows 2003

    "Mike guwak" wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Customer use Windows 2003 NBU Client 6.x MP3
    >NBU Server 6.x MP3 Solaris
    >
    >Customer say, that the Backup from clients are not work with VSP Cache files.
    >He must reboot the Windows clients, that the problem are fixed.
    >
    >He see every time error 50.
    >Is this fix in MP4?
    >Or what we done wrong by Backup VSP cache Files?

    I read that Veritas attributed this error to a problem with the NTFS file
    structure and provided a Microsoft ref # for it. I googled the number but
    found nothing. The only this you can do is reboot the server. I've had this
    proble several times on variuos clients

  5. Re: VSP cache files on Windows 2003

    Hi Peter,

    There is a Veritas/Symantec tech note that describes an unsupported method
    to remove VSP cache files without rebooting the server. It covers using a
    freeware tool develop by SysInternals to force the owning process to release
    its file handle on the rogue VSP cache files, and then you can delete it.

    I can supply a simple DOS script (for Windows 2000 Pro, Windows 2000 Server,
    Windows Server 2003 - any admin console or media server) that will trawl
    through all Windows clients looking for old VSP cache files that have been
    left behind.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "peter cross" wrote in message

    > "Mike guwak" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Customer use Windows 2003 NBU Client 6.x MP3
    >>NBU Server 6.x MP3 Solaris
    >>
    >>Customer say, that the Backup from clients are not work with VSP Cache
    >>files.
    >>He must reboot the Windows clients, that the problem are fixed.
    >>
    >>He see every time error 50.
    >>Is this fix in MP4?
    >>Or what we done wrong by Backup VSP cache Files?
    >>

    > I read that Veritas attributed this error to a problem with the NTFS file
    > structure and provided a Microsoft ref # for it. I googled the number but
    > found nothing. The only this you can do is reboot the server. I've had
    > this
    > proble several times on variuos clients

  6. Re: VSP cache files on Windows 2003

    Would you be willing to share your insight for the script that cleans up the
    .vsp cache files and the file handles?
    Thanks!
    Mo

    "D R" wrote:
    >Hi Peter,
    >
    >There is a Veritas/Symantec tech note that describes an unsupported method

    >to remove VSP cache files without rebooting the server. It covers using

    >freeware tool develop by SysInternals to force the owning process to release

    >its file handle on the rogue VSP cache files, and then you can delete it.
    >
    >I can supply a simple DOS script (for Windows 2000 Pro, Windows 2000 Server,

    >Windows Server 2003 - any admin console or media server) that will trawl

    >through all Windows clients looking for old VSP cache files that have been

    >left behind.
    >
    >Regards,
    >Dave.
    >

    >"peter cross" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mike guwak" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>Customer use Windows 2003 NBU Client 6.x MP3
    >>>NBU Server 6.x MP3 Solaris
    >>>
    >>>Customer say, that the Backup from clients are not work with VSP Cache

    >>>files.
    >>>He must reboot the Windows clients, that the problem are fixed.
    >>>
    >>>He see every time error 50.
    >>>Is this fix in MP4?
    >>>Or what we done wrong by Backup VSP cache Files?
    >>>

    >> I read that Veritas attributed this error to a problem with the NTFS file
    >> structure and provided a Microsoft ref # for it. I googled the number

    but
    >> found nothing. The only this you can do is reboot the server. I've had

    >> this
    >> proble several times on variuos clients

  7. Re: VSP cache files on Windows 2003

    Hi Mo,

    The script lists old files, it doesn't remove them. Normally a full reboot
    will be enough to clear them, or at least free them up, so that you can then
    delete them. However, as I said before, there is a tech note (I don't know
    which one) that describes an "unsupported" method to close/break the file
    handle on orphaned VSP files, that then allows you to delete them - but
    personally I'd be reticent to do that on critical production servers - IMHO,
    I'd wait for a suitable time to reboot.

    Anyway, here's the script (tested in Win2000 Adv Server SP4) with NetBackup
    v5.1 MP6. Watch out for line/word wrap in the script below.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    @echo off
    setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

    bpdir -? 1>NUL 2>NUL

    if /i "%errorlevel%"=="9009" (
    echo !time:~0,8! Unable to locate BPDIR command, script exiting...
    goto:eof
    )

    set z_started=!time:~0,8!

    set z_here=%~dp0
    set z_name=%~n0

    set z_data=!z_here!data\

    set z_file_cli=!z_name!.cli
    set z_file_csv=!z_name!.csv

    if exist "!z_file_csv!" del "!z_file_csv!"

    echo Client,Drive,DateTime,Size,File,KB,MB > "!z_file_csv!"

    echo !time:~0,8!
    echo !time:~0,8! Started: !z_started!
    echo !time:~0,8! Folder: !z_here!
    echo !time:~0,8! Data: !z_data!
    echo !time:~0,8! Script: !z_name!

    if not exist "!z_file_cli!" (
    echo !time:~0,8!
    echo !time:~0,8! Listing clients...

    bpplclients -allunique -noheader > !z_file_cli!
    )

    if not exist "!z_data!" (
    echo !time:~0,8!
    echo !time:~0,8! Creating data folder...

    mkdir "!z_data!"
    )

    set z_clients_tot=0
    set z_clients_win=0
    set z_clients_checked=0
    set z_clients_not=0
    set z_drives_tot=0
    set z_caches_tot=0

    echo !time:~0,8!
    echo !time:~0,8! Checking Windows clients...

    for /f "tokens=1,2,3" %%a in (!z_file_cli!) do (
    set /a z_clients_tot+=1

    set z_platform=%%a
    set z_os=%%b
    set z_client=%%c

    set z_os=!z_os:~0,3!
    if /i "!z_os!"=="win" call rocess-client
    )

    set z_finished=!time:~0,8!

    echo !time:~0,8!
    echo !time:~0,8! Total clients: !z_clients_tot!
    echo !time:~0,8! Windows clients: !z_clients_win!
    echo !time:~0,8! Clients checked: !z_clients_checked!
    echo !time:~0,8! Clients not checked: !z_clients_not!
    echo !time:~0,8!
    echo !time:~0,8! Drives: !z_drives_tot!
    echo !time:~0,8! Cache Files: !z_caches_tot!
    echo !time:~0,8!
    echo !time:~0,8! Started: !z_started!
    echo !time:~0,8! Finished: !z_finished!

    pause
    exit /b

    REM ################################################## ##########
    rocess-client

    set /a z_clients_win+=1

    set z_ignore=n
    REM if /i "!z_client!"=="besdv1" set z_ignore=y

    REM For testing...
    REM if /i not "!z_client!"=="prxpr5" set z_ignore=y

    if /i "!z_ignore!"=="y" (
    echo !time:~0,8! Ignoring client: !z_client!
    set /a z_clients_not+=1
    echo !z_client!,ignored >> "!z_file_csv!"
    goto :eof
    )

    echo !time:~0,8! Checking client: !z_client!

    for /f "tokens=1" %%a in ('ping -n 1 !z_client!') do (
    if /i "%%a"=="request" (
    echo !time:~0,8! Client: !z_client! does not ping...
    set /a z_clients_not+=1
    echo !z_client!,no ping >> "!z_file_csv!"
    goto :eof
    )
    )

    set /a z_clients_checked+=1

    set z_file_txt=!z_data!!z_name!-!z_client!.txt

    if not exist "!z_file_txt!" (
    bpdir -M !z_client! > "!z_file_txt!"
    )

    for /f "tokens=1,2" %%a in (!z_file_txt!) do (
    set z_drive=%%b
    set z_letter=!z_drive:~0,1!
    if /i "!z_drive!"=="!z_letter!" (
    if /i not "!z_drive!"=="A" (
    if /i not "!z_drive!"=="Z" (
    call rocess-drive
    )
    )
    )
    )

    goto :eof

    REM ################################################## ##########
    rocess-drive
    set /a z_drives_tot+=1

    echo !time:~0,8! Checking drive: !z_drive!

    set z_file_dri=!z_data!!z_name!-!z_client!-!z_drive!.dri

    if not exist "!z_file_dri!" (
    bpdir -M !z_client! "!z_drive!:" > "!z_file_dri!"
    )

    for /f "tokens=1,2,3,*" %%a in (!z_file_dri!) do (
    set z_date=%%a
    set z_time=%%b
    set z_size=%%c
    set z_file=%%d

    set z_part=!z_file:~0,5!

    set z_found=n

    if /i "!z_part!"=="_vxfi" set z_found=y
    if /i "!z_part!"=="VSPCa" set z_found=y

    if /i "!z_found!"=="y" (
    set /a z_caches_tot+=1

    echo !time:~0,8! Found: !z_file!

    Call :write-csv
    )
    )

    goto :eof

    REM ################################################## ##########
    :write-csv

    set z_date_mm=!z_date:~0,2!
    set z_date_dd=!z_date:~3,2!
    set z_date_yyyy=!z_date:~6,4!

    set z_date_ddmmyyyy=!z_date_dd!/!z_date_mm!/!z_date_yyyy!

    set /a z_size_kb=!z_size!/1024
    set /a z_size_mb=!z_size_kb!/1024

    echo !z_client!,!z_drive!,!z_date_ddmmyyyy!
    !z_time!,!z_size!,!z_file!,!z_size_kb!,!z_size_mb! >> "!z_file_csv!"

    goto :eof

    "Mo" wrote in message

    > Would you be willing to share your insight for the script that cleans up
    > the
    > vsp cache files and the file handles?
    > Thanks!
    > Mo
    >

    > "D R" wrote:
    >>Hi Peter,
    >>
    >>There is a Veritas/Symantec tech note that describes an unsupported method

    >>to remove VSP cache files without rebooting the server. It covers using

    >>freeware tool develop by SysInternals to force the owning process to
    >>release

    >>its file handle on the rogue VSP cache files, and then you can delete it.
    >>
    >>I can supply a simple DOS script (for Windows 2000 Pro, Windows 2000
    >>Server,

    >>Windows Server 2003 - any admin console or media server) that will trawl

    >>through all Windows clients looking for old VSP cache files that have been

    >>left behind.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Dave.
    >>

    >>"peter cross" wrote in message

    >>> I read that Veritas attributed this error to a problem with the NTFS
    >>> file
    >>> structure and provided a Microsoft ref # for it. I googled the number

    > but
    >>> found nothing. The only this you can do is reboot the server. I've had

    >>> this
    >>> proble several times on variuos clients

+ Reply to Thread