Per Server Selection - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Per Server Selection - Veritas Net Backup ; how do i go about making a custom backup selection for each server? I'd rather not have it backup the entire system. there is a lot of data that i wouldnt need for a restore. i wasnt really able to ...

  1. Per Server Selection

    how do i go about making a custom backup selection for each server?
    I'd rather not have it backup the entire system. there is a lot of data that
    i wouldnt need for a restore.
    i wasnt really able to find too much. i can do a custom selection from the
    server but i cant schedule that. and from the server end i can only do an
    exclude list which in my case would be longer than the include list.

    Thanks
    Justin

  2. Re: Per Server Selection

    Hi Justin,

    Unfortunately, Netbackup has a one to one relationship between each backup
    policy (and all schedules contained therein) and the backup selection list.
    I guess it's a design feature, as most sites simply want to take
    ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES for many servers at the same time.

    Like you say, you could go for multiple selections, but then multiple
    different excludes on each client - which would be tiresome, as the client
    properties isn't always that fast to work with.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "Justin Rich" wrote in message
    > how do i go about making a custom backup selection for each server?
    > I'd rather not have it backup the entire system. there is a lot of data
    > that i wouldnt need for a restore.
    > i wasnt really able to find too much. i can do a custom selection from the
    > server but i cant schedule that. and from the server end i can only do an
    > exclude list which in my case would be longer than the include list.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Justin

  3. Re: Per Server Selection

    well thats a disappointment. backupexec does it i would have imagined that
    would have been the case here.
    ohh well, i appreciate the response.

    thanks
    Justin

    "D R" wrote in message news:45ff074b@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > Hi Justin,
    >
    > Unfortunately, Netbackup has a one to one relationship between each backup
    > policy (and all schedules contained therein) and the backup selection
    > list. I guess it's a design feature, as most sites simply want to take
    > ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES for many servers at the same time.
    >
    > Like you say, you could go for multiple selections, but then multiple
    > different excludes on each client - which would be tiresome, as the client
    > properties isn't always that fast to work with.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dave.
    >

    > "Justin Rich" wrote in message
    >> how do i go about making a custom backup selection for each server?
    >> I'd rather not have it backup the entire system. there is a lot of data
    >> that i wouldnt need for a restore.
    >> i wasnt really able to find too much. i can do a custom selection from
    >> the server but i cant schedule that. and from the server end i can only
    >> do an exclude list which in my case would be longer than the include
    >> list.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Justin

  4. Re: Per Server Selection

    Hi Justin,

    maybe you should use an invert selection.

    - put all the servers in the policy (Selection: ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES)
    - on all the servers you set an global exclude (*)
    - on every server you set the exclude-exception

    Then should nothing be backed up except your exceptions.

    bye
    Smiley

    "Justin Rich" wrote:
    >how do i go about making a custom backup selection for each server?
    >I'd rather not have it backup the entire system. there is a lot of data

    that
    >i wouldnt need for a restore.
    >i wasnt really able to find too much. i can do a custom selection from the

    >server but i cant schedule that. and from the server end i can only do an

    >exclude list which in my case would be longer than the include list.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Justin

  5. Re: Per Server Selection

    interesting, i like it
    i'll give that a try.
    Thanks
    Justin

    "Smiley" wrote in message

    > Hi Justin,
    >
    > maybe you should use an invert selection.
    >
    > - put all the servers in the policy (Selection: ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES)
    > - on all the servers you set an global exclude (*)
    > - on every server you set the exclude-exception
    >
    > Then should nothing be backed up except your exceptions.
    >
    > bye
    > Smiley
    >
    > "Justin Rich" wrote:
    >>how do i go about making a custom backup selection for each server?
    >>I'd rather not have it backup the entire system. there is a lot of data

    > that
    >>i wouldnt need for a restore.
    >>i wasnt really able to find too much. i can do a custom selection from the

    >>server but i cant schedule that. and from the server end i can only do an

    >>exclude list which in my case would be longer than the include list.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Justin

+ Reply to Thread