Backup without a policy - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Backup without a policy - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello, A newbie here. I tried using bpbackup -f to backup a file only to have netbackup tell me there is no policy. Is there anyway to backup file(s) without it being part of a policy....

  1. Backup without a policy

    Hello,

    A newbie here. I tried using bpbackup -f to backup a file only
    to have netbackup tell me there is no policy. Is there anyway to backup file(s)
    without it being part of a policy.

  2. Re: Backup without a policy

    Why do you hate policy?

  3. Re: Backup without a policy

    does that even make sense at all? How come you want to run a backup without
    all the necessary parameters for netbackup to perform its duty.
    You've got to ask yourself buddy.

    Dennis

    "Alan wong" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >A newbie here. I tried using bpbackup -f to backup a file only
    >to have netbackup tell me there is no policy. Is there anyway to backup

    file(s)
    >without it being part of a policy.

  4. Re: Backup without a policy

    the question is, why cant netbackup be dynamic enough to do what it was
    told. if i want to put a series of files in a backup catalog why cant i? the
    policy is good for standardizing backups across multiple systems. but what
    if i have a junk system that just has some data to be backuped and i dont
    want to create another policy for something so simple.
    why clutter things up?
    ponder that one a bit buddy.

    as powerful as netbackup is, its basically a canned product. its designed to
    just backup EVERYTHING quickly and efficently. i ran in to a similar
    problem. i wanted to just back up a couple of folder on a server. there is
    only excude lists and you cant do any more than backup a drive. to me that
    isnt low level enough. backupexec was way better at that.

    Justin

    "dennis" wrote in message news:460155b6@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > does that even make sense at all? How come you want to run a backup
    > without
    > all the necessary parameters for netbackup to perform its duty.
    > You've got to ask yourself buddy.
    >
    > Dennis
    >

    > "Alan wong" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>A newbie here. I tried using bpbackup -f to backup a file only
    >>to have netbackup tell me there is no policy. Is there anyway to backup

    > file(s)
    >>without it being part of a policy.

  5. Re: Backup without a policy

    hey mate, you can back up selected files or folders with Netbackup - ok. Just
    read these things up properly and you will get there. why can't you type
    in straightaway e.g e:\oracle\db.txt or c:\justin if you need to back up
    a file or a folder. Is this clear now? Just type it in.
    Use the admin guide on netbackup or better still everything you need to learn
    is just there on the Remote Netbackup Console using the HELP area. Dennis

    "Justin Rich" wrote:
    >the question is, why cant netbackup be dynamic enough to do what it was

    >told. if i want to put a series of files in a backup catalog why cant i?

    the
    >policy is good for standardizing backups across multiple systems. but what

    >if i have a junk system that just has some data to be backuped and i dont

    >want to create another policy for something so simple.
    >why clutter things up?
    >ponder that one a bit buddy.
    >
    >as powerful as netbackup is, its basically a canned product. its designed

    >just backup EVERYTHING quickly and efficently. i ran in to a similar
    >problem. i wanted to just back up a couple of folder on a server. there

    is
    >only excude lists and you cant do any more than backup a drive. to me that

    >isnt low level enough. backupexec was way better at that.
    >
    >Justin
    >
    >"dennis" wrote in message news:460155b6@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> does that even make sense at all? How come you want to run a backup
    >> without
    >> all the necessary parameters for netbackup to perform its duty.
    >> You've got to ask yourself buddy.
    >>
    >> Dennis
    >>

    >> "Alan wong" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>A newbie here. I tried using bpbackup -f to backup a file only
    >>>to have netbackup tell me there is no policy. Is there anyway to backup

    >> file(s)
    >>>without it being part of a policy.

  6. Re: Backup without a policy

    you should read a bit more.
    there is an include_list as well....
    but when backing up you don't have to say all local drives you can do a new
    stream and say d:\mydir it it will only backup that up.

    You can also create a junk policy where you can go and add and remvoe servers
    as you want and change the retention as you want and change the file list
    as you want whenever you want to do something "special"

    Netbackup is SUPPOSE to keep track of things for you that IS the way it was
    desigend.

    "Justin Rich" wrote:
    >the question is, why cant netbackup be dynamic enough to do what it was

    >told. if i want to put a series of files in a backup catalog why cant i?

    the
    >policy is good for standardizing backups across multiple systems. but what

    >if i have a junk system that just has some data to be backuped and i dont

    >want to create another policy for something so simple.
    >why clutter things up?
    >ponder that one a bit buddy.
    >
    >as powerful as netbackup is, its basically a canned product. its designed

    >just backup EVERYTHING quickly and efficently. i ran in to a similar
    >problem. i wanted to just back up a couple of folder on a server. there

    is
    >only excude lists and you cant do any more than backup a drive. to me that

    >isnt low level enough. backupexec was way better at that.
    >
    >Justin
    >
    >"dennis" wrote in message news:460155b6@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> does that even make sense at all? How come you want to run a backup
    >> without
    >> all the necessary parameters for netbackup to perform its duty.
    >> You've got to ask yourself buddy.
    >>
    >> Dennis
    >>

    >> "Alan wong" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>A newbie here. I tried using bpbackup -f to backup a file only
    >>>to have netbackup tell me there is no policy. Is there anyway to backup

    >> file(s)
    >>>without it being part of a policy.

+ Reply to Thread