Why would a successfully ran scheduled backup repeat itself or run multiple times? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Why would a successfully ran scheduled backup repeat itself or run multiple times? - Veritas Net Backup ; We have a scheduled backup that ran itself correctly on schedule, but then (for no reason) repeated itself 4 times back to back upon. There were no errors, each time it ran the back up it was successful, also it ...

  1. Why would a successfully ran scheduled backup repeat itself or run multiple times?

    We have a scheduled backup that ran itself correctly on schedule, but then
    (for no reason) repeated itself 4 times back to back upon. There were no
    errors, each time it ran the back up it was successful, also it wrote the
    same amount of info and images to the backup. Each individual backup was
    recognized, and they all started, completed, and repeated within a 18 window.
    This policy/job has been in place for a while now and has never done this,
    no error codes, we have checked all the specs with everything and cannot
    come up with any rhyme or reason why this would have happened. No setting
    and/or have been changed. Anyone else ever had this occur?? Any ideas on
    what could cause this, we are stumped. Thanks!

  2. Re: Why would a successfully ran scheduled backup repeat itself or run multiple times?

    This is usually caused by frequency-based backups. It had happened at our
    shop. We had been running frequency-based backups daily witha frequency
    set to 1 day. we allow for jobs to attempt to run 3 times within 12 hours.

    If the freq

    "Bert" wrote:

    >We have a scheduled backup that ran itself correctly on schedule, but then
    >(for no reason) repeated itself 4 times back to back upon. There were no
    >errors, each time it ran the back up it was successful, also it wrote the
    >same amount of info and images to the backup. Each individual backup was
    >recognized, and they all started, completed, and repeated within a 18 window.
    > This policy/job has been in place for a while now and has never done this,
    >no error codes, we have checked all the specs with everything and cannot
    >come up with any rhyme or reason why this would have happened. No setting
    >and/or have been changed. Anyone else ever had this occur?? Any ideas

    on
    >what could cause this, we are stumped. Thanks!

  3. Re: Why would a successfully ran scheduled backup repeat itself or run multiple times?

    This is usually caused by frequency-based backups. It had happened at our
    shop. We had been running 1 Full frequency-based backups over 3 day weekend
    start window with frequency set to 1 day. we allow for jobs to attempt to
    run 3 times within 12 hours.

    If the freq. backup was supposed to start at, say, 7 pm, but was delayed
    and did not start until 9 pm and subsequently failed, then...

    The next day, it would run at 7 pm and again at 9 pm.
    For the weekend Full backup, we set frequency to 4 days and due to our wide
    start window and allowable times to requeue, this cleared up the issue.

    As for daily incrementals, we use frequncy of 1 day with a very small start
    window and have noted multiple runs of job. Yet, we do get backups failing
    to meet window and, thus, missed backups - from time to time.

    "Bert" wrote:

    >We have a scheduled backup that ran itself correctly on schedule, but then
    >(for no reason) repeated itself 4 times back to back upon. There were no
    >errors, each time it ran the back up it was successful, also it wrote the
    >same amount of info and images to the backup. Each individual backup was
    >recognized, and they all started, completed, and repeated within a 18 window.
    > This policy/job has been in place for a while now and has never done this,
    >no error codes, we have checked all the specs with everything and cannot
    >come up with any rhyme or reason why this would have happened. No setting
    >and/or have been changed. Anyone else ever had this occur?? Any ideas

    on
    >what could cause this, we are stumped. Thanks!

  4. Re: Why would a successfully ran scheduled backup repeat itself or run multiple times?

    If you run netbackup 4.5 or 5.x delete the streams file from the ../db/images/hostname/
    directory. Note If you run incrementals, after you detete the streams file,
    netbackup will run full backups for this host.

    If you run netbackup 6.x, I don't know the answer, but you may solve the
    problem by making a new policy. not rename or copy the policy but making
    a new one.

    stefanos

    "Bert" wrote:

    >We have a scheduled backup that ran itself correctly on schedule, but then
    >(for no reason) repeated itself 4 times back to back upon. There were no
    >errors, each time it ran the back up it was successful, also it wrote the
    >same amount of info and images to the backup. Each individual backup was
    >recognized, and they all started, completed, and repeated within a 18 window.
    > This policy/job has been in place for a while now and has never done this,
    >no error codes, we have checked all the specs with everything and cannot
    >come up with any rhyme or reason why this would have happened. No setting
    >and/or have been changed. Anyone else ever had this occur?? Any ideas

    on
    >what could cause this, we are stumped. Thanks!

  5. Re: Why would a successfully ran scheduled backup repeat itself or run multiple times?

    We had the same problem over the DST (Daylight Savings) weekend change. A
    number of jobs re-ran when they weren't supposed to.

    "smpt" wrote:

    >If you run netbackup 4.5 or 5.x delete the streams file from the ../db/images/hostname/
    >directory. Note If you run incrementals, after you detete the streams file,
    >netbackup will run full backups for this host.
    >
    >If you run netbackup 6.x, I don't know the answer, but you may solve the
    >problem by making a new policy. not rename or copy the policy but making
    >a new one.
    >
    >stefanos
    >

    >"Bert" wrote:
    >>
    >>We have a scheduled backup that ran itself correctly on schedule, but

    then
    >>(for no reason) repeated itself 4 times back to back upon. There were

    no
    >>errors, each time it ran the back up it was successful, also it wrote the
    >>same amount of info and images to the backup. Each individual backup was
    >>recognized, and they all started, completed, and repeated within a 18 window.
    >> This policy/job has been in place for a while now and has never done this,
    >>no error codes, we have checked all the specs with everything and cannot
    >>come up with any rhyme or reason why this would have happened. No setting
    >>and/or have been changed. Anyone else ever had this occur?? Any ideas

    >on
    >>what could cause this, we are stumped. Thanks!

  6. Re: Why would a successfully ran scheduled backup repeat itself or run multiple times?

    Hi Jeff,
    We had the same thing too, for NBU ES v5.1 MP6, on Win 2000 Adv Srvr SP4.
    As soon as the clocks changed, NBU decided to run everything again - over 3
    TB of backups for us. It's not right that this should happen.
    Did you log a call with Symantec? It is accepted by the community that this
    happens? Or, have I missed something specific in the tech notes about a
    proper "procedure" to handle time change in NBU environments?
    Thanks,
    Dave.

    "Jeff Greenfield" wrote in message

    > We had the same problem over the DST (Daylight Savings) weekend change. A
    > number of jobs re-ran when they weren't supposed to.
    >
    > "smpt" wrote:
    >>
    >>If you run netbackup 4.5 or 5.x delete the streams file from the
    >>../db/images/hostname/
    >>directory. Note If you run incrementals, after you detete the streams
    >>file,
    >>netbackup will run full backups for this host.
    >>
    >>If you run netbackup 6.x, I don't know the answer, but you may solve the
    >>problem by making a new policy. not rename or copy the policy but making
    >>a new one.
    >>
    >>stefanos
    >>

    >>"Bert" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>We have a scheduled backup that ran itself correctly on schedule, but

    > then
    >>>(for no reason) repeated itself 4 times back to back upon. There were

    > no
    >>>errors, each time it ran the back up it was successful, also it wrote the
    >>>same amount of info and images to the backup. Each individual backup was
    >>>recognized, and they all started, completed, and repeated within a 18
    >>>window.
    >>> This policy/job has been in place for a while now and has never done
    >>> this,
    >>>no error codes, we have checked all the specs with everything and cannot
    >>>come up with any rhyme or reason why this would have happened. No
    >>>setting
    >>>and/or have been changed. Anyone else ever had this occur?? Any ideas

    >>on
    >>>what could cause this, we are stumped. Thanks!

  7. Re: Why would a successfully ran scheduled backup repeat itself or run multiple times?

    We had a similiar issue before the new DST. We changed the culprit jobs to
    run every 20 hours instead of allowing it to use the schedule. It works
    for us. We had several jobs that would start say around 5p, and finish at
    3a. Well, I guess Netbackup thought since it was a new day and it was within
    the backup time window, it would run them again. Hope this helps.

    "Jeff Greenfield" wrote:

    >We had the same problem over the DST (Daylight Savings) weekend change.

    >number of jobs re-ran when they weren't supposed to.
    >
    >"smpt" wrote:
    >>
    >>If you run netbackup 4.5 or 5.x delete the streams file from the ../db/images/hostname/
    >>directory. Note If you run incrementals, after you detete the streams file,
    >>netbackup will run full backups for this host.
    >>
    >>If you run netbackup 6.x, I don't know the answer, but you may solve the
    >>problem by making a new policy. not rename or copy the policy but making
    >>a new one.
    >>
    >>stefanos
    >>

    >>"Bert" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>We have a scheduled backup that ran itself correctly on schedule, but

    >then
    >>>(for no reason) repeated itself 4 times back to back upon. There were

    >no
    >>>errors, each time it ran the back up it was successful, also it wrote

    the
    >>>same amount of info and images to the backup. Each individual backup

    was
    >>>recognized, and they all started, completed, and repeated within a 18

    window.
    >>> This policy/job has been in place for a while now and has never done

    this,
    >>>no error codes, we have checked all the specs with everything and cannot
    >>>come up with any rhyme or reason why this would have happened. No setting
    >>>and/or have been changed. Anyone else ever had this occur?? Any ideas

    >>on
    >>>what could cause this, we are stumped. Thanks!

  8. Re: Why would a successfully ran scheduled backup repeat itself or run multiple times?

    I think it has something to do with DST. I know the weekend when DST changed,
    my online hot catalog backup, would run every 14 minutes. Glad I logged in
    from home, every backup used 5+ gigs, it was at 10 backups and counting.
    Hasn't happened since.
    "Bert" wrote:

    >We have a scheduled backup that ran itself correctly on schedule, but then
    >(for no reason) repeated itself 4 times back to back upon. There were no
    >errors, each time it ran the back up it was successful, also it wrote the
    >same amount of info and images to the backup. Each individual backup was
    >recognized, and they all started, completed, and repeated within a 18 window.
    > This policy/job has been in place for a while now and has never done this,
    >no error codes, we have checked all the specs with everything and cannot
    >come up with any rhyme or reason why this would have happened. No setting
    >and/or have been changed. Anyone else ever had this occur?? Any ideas

    on
    >what could cause this, we are stumped. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread