Dual NIC Server Using NetBackup 5.1 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Dual NIC Server Using NetBackup 5.1 - Veritas Net Backup ; I have a server with two NICs in order to see two separate domains. I can run a backup on the server being used as the NetBackup Master but cannot see the NetBackup client on the other NIC. I can ...

  1. Dual NIC Server Using NetBackup 5.1

    I have a server with two NICs in order to see two separate domains. I can
    run a backup on the server being used as the NetBackup Master but cannot
    see the NetBackup client on the other NIC. I can ping the client but can
    not do a backup using Netbackup 5.1! Suggestions?
    Sounds to me like a DNS issue.

  2. Re: Dual NIC Server Using NetBackup 5.1

    Hi Earl,

    Can you post bp.conf from master server and client.
    Assuming client has 2 NIC- and has 2 names associated with each NIC
    use REQUIRED_INTERFACE = clientname associated with nic
    and on same tone one should not use REQUIRED_INTERFACE setting on master
    server.

    also enable VERBOSE = 5 on client and create bpcd log directrory and post
    the debug logs. It will help to troubleshoot

    Thanks
    Aj

    "Earl S. Chambers" wrote:

    >I have a server with two NICs in order to see two separate domains. I can
    >run a backup on the server being used as the NetBackup Master but cannot
    >see the NetBackup client on the other NIC. I can ping the client but can
    >not do a backup using Netbackup 5.1! Suggestions?
    >Sounds to me like a DNS issue.

  3. Re: Dual NIC Server Using NetBackup 5.1

    "Earl S. Chambers" wrote:

    >I have a server with two NICs in order to see two separate domains. I can
    >run a backup on the server being used as the NetBackup Master but cannot
    >see the NetBackup client on the other NIC. I can ping the client but can
    >not do a backup using Netbackup 5.1! Suggestions?
    >Sounds to me like a DNS issue.

    Earl,

    Can the client do a reverse lookup on the master's IP? If that fails,
    the handshake fails and no backup.

    Scott

  4. Re: Dual NIC Server Using NetBackup 5.1

    Scott,
    I forgot to load the Client software on that other server. Learning the hard
    way on this stuff, but learning.

  5. Dual NIC Server Using NetBackup 6.0

    "AJ" wrote:

    >Hi Earl,
    >
    >Can you post bp.conf from master server and client.
    >Assuming client has 2 NIC- and has 2 names associated with each NIC
    >use REQUIRED_INTERFACE = clientname associated with nic
    >and on same tone one should not use REQUIRED_INTERFACE setting on master
    >server.
    >
    >also enable VERBOSE = 5 on client and create bpcd log directrory and post
    >the debug logs. It will help to troubleshoot
    >
    >Thanks
    >Aj
    >
    >"Earl S. Chambers" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have a server with two NICs in order to see two separate domains. I can
    >>run a backup on the server being used as the NetBackup Master but cannot
    >>see the NetBackup client on the other NIC. I can ping the client but can
    >>not do a backup using Netbackup 5.1! Suggestions?
    >>Sounds to me like a DNS issue.

    Hi AJ. I am having a major problem with a similar issue. Maybe you can
    help me? My issue is a bit more complex in that the we have a Windows 2003
    master sever running 6.0 with two NIC on separate VLANs. One VLAN is non-routing.
    On this VLAN we only have some NetApp NAS boxes that we want to backup using
    NDMP. This means there is no client so I can not use the REQUIRED_INTERFACE
    setting for the master that you above suggested avoiding even if I wanted
    to. I can ping the NAS boxes. I can back them up via NDMP if I disable
    the primary NIC, and then bounce NetBackup up and down with only the NIC
    on the VLAN active. However if I have the primary NIC active at all backups
    fail. Symantec phone support did not know how to help me with this issue.
    Do any of you have any suggestions for a solution to this issue or a work
    around? Thanks for all responses.

+ Reply to Thread