SAN Environment NB 6.0 MP4 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on SAN Environment NB 6.0 MP4 - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi, We have one master server and we are using Microsoft NB 6.0 MP4. Now we have the budget to implementing our backup VIA our SAN. - What do we need as agent? - How could we implement it? Thank ...

  1. SAN Environment NB 6.0 MP4

    Hi,

    We have one master server and we are using Microsoft NB 6.0 MP4. Now we have
    the budget to implementing our backup VIA our SAN.

    - What do we need as agent?
    - How could we implement it?

    Thank You

  2. Re: SAN Environment NB 6.0 MP4

    licence = SSO (assuming you want share tape drives between different hosts)
    + server licence for each server involved (vs clients) + tape library
    licence for each servers in SSO + tape drive licence
    SAN is a very general word, please be more specific in what you intend to do
    :
    + how many san servers
    + OS involved
    + FC switches
    + native/scsi tape drives
    + DB agents
    + size of data for each clients/servers

    "Yanick" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > We have one master server and we are using Microsoft NB 6.0 MP4. Now we
    > have
    > the budget to implementing our backup VIA our SAN.
    >
    > - What do we need as agent?
    > - How could we implement it?
    >
    > Thank You

  3. Re: SAN Environment NB 6.0 MP4

    We have Windows 2003 Environment Using SAN From HP EVA 3000. We want to backup
    all our data throught FC Switch instead to use the LAN.

    How could we do that ?

    "Londoner" wrote:
    >licence = SSO (assuming you want share tape drives between different hosts)

    >+ server licence for each server involved (vs clients) + tape library
    >licence for each servers in SSO + tape drive licence
    >SAN is a very general word, please be more specific in what you intend to

    do
    >:
    >+ how many san servers
    >+ OS involved
    >+ FC switches
    >+ native/scsi tape drives
    >+ DB agents
    >+ size of data for each clients/servers
    >
    >"Yanick" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> We have one master server and we are using Microsoft NB 6.0 MP4. Now we

    >> have
    >> the budget to implementing our backup VIA our SAN.
    >>
    >> - What do we need as agent?
    >> - How could we implement it?
    >>
    >> Thank You

  4. Re: SAN Environment NB 6.0 MP4

    Hi Yanick

    As a possibility you could install every to-backup-server as a mediaserver,
    attaching the drives to it (shared drives) and backup directly. You would
    still be able to have the full control by one single master server..

    Question is just about the costs of this solution

    -Mike

    "Yanick" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > We have Windows 2003 Environment Using SAN From HP EVA 3000. We want to
    > backup
    > all our data throught FC Switch instead to use the LAN.
    >
    > How could we do that ?
    >

    > "Londoner" wrote:
    >>licence = SSO (assuming you want share tape drives between different
    >>hosts)

    >>+ server licence for each server involved (vs clients) + tape library
    >>licence for each servers in SSO + tape drive licence
    >>SAN is a very general word, please be more specific in what you intend to

    > do
    >>:
    >>+ how many san servers
    >>+ OS involved
    >>+ FC switches
    >>+ native/scsi tape drives
    >>+ DB agents
    >>+ size of data for each clients/servers
    >>
    >>"Yanick" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> We have one master server and we are using Microsoft NB 6.0 MP4. Now we

    >>> have
    >>> the budget to implementing our backup VIA our SAN.
    >>>
    >>> - What do we need as agent?
    >>> - How could we implement it?
    >>>
    >>> Thank You

  5. Re: SAN Environment NB 6.0 MP4

    I agree with you but we have 10 servers and some of them are SQL Cluster,
    Exchaneg and file server we will not install 10 San Media Server!

    Is there a way to configure that setup usinf the FC Switch instead the LAN..

    Thank You

    "Michael Blickenstorfer" wrote:
    >Hi Yanick
    >
    >As a possibility you could install every to-backup-server as a mediaserver,

    >attaching the drives to it (shared drives) and backup directly. You would

    >still be able to have the full control by one single master server..
    >
    >Question is just about the costs of this solution
    >
    >-Mike
    >
    >"Yanick" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>
    >> We have Windows 2003 Environment Using SAN From HP EVA 3000. We want to

    >> backup
    >> all our data throught FC Switch instead to use the LAN.
    >>
    >> How could we do that ?
    >>

    >> "Londoner" wrote:
    >>>licence = SSO (assuming you want share tape drives between different
    >>>hosts)

    >>>+ server licence for each server involved (vs clients) + tape library
    >>>licence for each servers in SSO + tape drive licence
    >>>SAN is a very general word, please be more specific in what you intend

    >> do
    >>>:
    >>>+ how many san servers
    >>>+ OS involved
    >>>+ FC switches
    >>>+ native/scsi tape drives
    >>>+ DB agents
    >>>+ size of data for each clients/servers
    >>>
    >>>"Yanick" wrote in message

    we

  6. Re: SAN Environment NB 6.0 MP4

    Your decision should concentrate on which server should LAN based (simple
    clients ) or LAN free (SAN media servers) then the whole fall into place.

    "Yanick" wrote in message

    > I agree with you but we have 10 servers and some of them are SQL Cluster,
    > Exchaneg and file server we will not install 10 San Media Server!
    >
    > Is there a way to configure that setup usinf the FC Switch instead the
    > LAN..
    >
    > Thank You

  7. Re: SAN Environment NB 6.0 MP4

    Hi Yanick

    I just read through some docs. Currently, there is no other possibility than
    to backup through LAN without installing NBU Media Servers...

    Greez, Mike

    > I agree with you but we have 10 servers and some of them are SQL Cluster,
    > Exchaneg and file server we will not install 10 San Media Server!
    >
    > Is there a way to configure that setup usinf the FC Switch instead the
    > LAN..
    >
    > Thank You
    >

    > "Michael Blickenstorfer" wrote:
    >>Hi Yanick
    >>
    >>As a possibility you could install every to-backup-server as a
    >>mediaserver,

    >>attaching the drives to it (shared drives) and backup directly. You would

    >>still be able to have the full control by one single master server..
    >>
    >>Question is just about the costs of this solution
    >>
    >>-Mike
    >>
    >>"Yanick" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>>
    >>> We have Windows 2003 Environment Using SAN From HP EVA 3000. We want to

    >>> backup
    >>> all our data throught FC Switch instead to use the LAN.
    >>>
    >>> How could we do that ?

    >>> do

    > we

  8. Re: SAN Environment NB 6.0 MP3

    "Yanick" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >We have one master server and we are using Microsoft NB 6.0 MP4. Now we

    have
    >the budget to implementing our backup VIA our SAN.
    >
    >- What do we need as agent?
    >- How could we implement it?
    >
    >Thank You

+ Reply to Thread