Automatic online catalog backup not triggered to run. - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Automatic online catalog backup not triggered to run. - Veritas Net Backup ; One of our customers is running NetBackup 6.0MP4 and wants to use online catalog backup. A policy has been defined with one Full schedule to run every day at 6:30 AM and one Incremental schedule to run "'After each backup ...

  1. Automatic online catalog backup not triggered to run.

    One of our customers is running NetBackup 6.0MP4 and wants to use online catalog
    backup. A policy has been defined with one Full schedule to run every day
    at 6:30 AM and one Incremental schedule to run "'After each backup session"
    during working hours. The Full schedule is run every morning at 6:30 without
    any problem. The Incremental should run every hour after the hourly SQL backup.
    IT DOES NOT. Also running another backup during the day does NOT trigger
    the catalog backup to run. I have tested this on my own system and this is
    working as expected. What could be the cause of the "not running" problem
    and how can i find the reason for this? Which logs do i have to enable and
    at what verbosity to find the cause of this problem?

    Harry

  2. Re: Automatic online catalog backup not triggered to run.

    schedule is it frequency based ?
    easy test create a new policy with a different name then see what happens =>
    yes policy can get corrupted

    "Harry Bremer" wrote in message

    > One of our customers is running NetBackup 6.0MP4 and wants to use online
    > catalog
    > backup. A policy has been defined with one Full schedule to run every day
    > at 6:30 AM and one Incremental schedule to run "'After each backup
    > session"
    > during working hours. The Full schedule is run every morning at 6:30
    > without
    > any problem. The Incremental should run every hour after the hourly SQL
    > backup.
    > IT DOES NOT. Also running another backup during the day does NOT trigger
    > the catalog backup to run. I have tested this on my own system and this is
    > working as expected. What could be the cause of the "not running" problem
    > and how can i find the reason for this? Which logs do i have to enable and
    > at what verbosity to find the cause of this problem?
    >
    > Harry

  3. Re: Automatic online catalog backup not triggered to run.

    As this is a "Catalog Backup" policy the scheduletype is: "After each backup
    session"
    Will try to create a new policy and see what happens.

    Thanks.

    "Londoner" wrote:
    >schedule is it frequency based ?
    >easy test create a new policy with a different name then see what happens

    =>
    >yes policy can get corrupted
    >
    >"Harry Bremer" wrote in message
    >>
    >> One of our customers is running NetBackup 6.0MP4 and wants to use online

    >> catalog
    >> backup. A policy has been defined with one Full schedule to run every

    day
    >> at 6:30 AM and one Incremental schedule to run "'After each backup
    >> session"
    >> during working hours. The Full schedule is run every morning at 6:30
    >> without
    >> any problem. The Incremental should run every hour after the hourly SQL

    >> backup.
    >> IT DOES NOT. Also running another backup during the day does NOT trigger
    >> the catalog backup to run. I have tested this on my own system and this

    is
    >> working as expected. What could be the cause of the "not running" problem
    >> and how can i find the reason for this? Which logs do i have to enable

    and
    >> at what verbosity to find the cause of this problem?
    >>
    >> Harry

  4. Re: Automatic online catalog backup not triggered to run.

    Did create a new policy, but no success: same problem. Any idea how to troubleshoot
    this?

    "Harry Bremer" wrote:

    >As this is a "Catalog Backup" policy the scheduletype is: "After each backup
    >session"
    >Will try to create a new policy and see what happens.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >"Londoner" wrote:
    >>schedule is it frequency based ?
    >>easy test create a new policy with a different name then see what happens

    >=>
    >>yes policy can get corrupted
    >>
    >>"Harry Bremer" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> One of our customers is running NetBackup 6.0MP4 and wants to use online

    >>> catalog
    >>> backup. A policy has been defined with one Full schedule to run every

    >day
    >>> at 6:30 AM and one Incremental schedule to run "'After each backup
    >>> session"
    >>> during working hours. The Full schedule is run every morning at 6:30

    >>> without
    >>> any problem. The Incremental should run every hour after the hourly SQL

    >>> backup.
    >>> IT DOES NOT. Also running another backup during the day does NOT trigger
    >>> the catalog backup to run. I have tested this on my own system and this

    >is
    >>> working as expected. What could be the cause of the "not running" problem
    >>> and how can i find the reason for this? Which logs do i have to enable

    >and
    >>> at what verbosity to find the cause of this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Harry

  5. Re: Automatic online catalog backup not triggered to run.

    Had the same problem but never found out the root cause. HOWEVER, I ran the
    job manually (selecting the "after each backup session" schedule), let it
    run, then it seemed to start working again after each session...

    Not sure it it will help, but maybe worth a try?

    Craig

    "Harry Bremer" wrote:

    >Did create a new policy, but no success: same problem. Any idea how to troubleshoot
    >this?
    >
    >"Harry Bremer" wrote:
    >>
    >>As this is a "Catalog Backup" policy the scheduletype is: "After each backup
    >>session"
    >>Will try to create a new policy and see what happens.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>
    >>"Londoner" wrote:
    >>>schedule is it frequency based ?
    >>>easy test create a new policy with a different name then see what happens

    >>=>
    >>>yes policy can get corrupted
    >>>
    >>>"Harry Bremer" wrote in message

    >>day

    SQL

    >>is

    >>and

  6. Re: Automatic online catalog backup not triggered to run.

    Problem is solved!!!

    With Symantec support looked at several areas, but the problem was a corrupted
    install of MP4. Reinstalling MP4 solved the problem.

    "Craig Gardiner" wrote:

    >Had the same problem but never found out the root cause. HOWEVER, I ran

    the
    >job manually (selecting the "after each backup session" schedule), let it
    >run, then it seemed to start working again after each session...
    >
    >Not sure it it will help, but maybe worth a try?
    >
    >Craig
    >
    >"Harry Bremer" wrote:
    >>
    >>Did create a new policy, but no success: same problem. Any idea how to

    troubleshoot
    >>this?
    >>
    >>"Harry Bremer" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>As this is a "Catalog Backup" policy the scheduletype is: "After each

    backup
    >>>session"
    >>>Will try to create a new policy and see what happens.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.

    >>>=>

    >>>day

    >SQL