Unable to change catalog media - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Unable to change catalog media - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello All, First off a little bit of background. I am running NetBackup 6.0 MP4 on a Solaris 9 system. Recently a drive malfunctioned in the library while trying to write to a tape. This drive has now been fixed ...

  1. Unable to change catalog media

    Hello All,

    First off a little bit of background.

    I am running NetBackup 6.0 MP4 on a Solaris 9 system. Recently a drive malfunctioned
    in the library while trying to write to a tape. This drive has now been fixed
    and the media that was being written to was removed from the library.

    The media removed also was the second tape configured for use by the offline
    catalog backups.

    Now when ever a backup is completed the catalog backups are configured to
    run. However it always tries to write to the media that no longer is in the
    library. When I try to allocate another tape as the second catalog tape I
    get an error: "Unable to deassign media". The same also when I try to just
    set the second option to "None".

    This is the same through the GUI or through the command line using the "bpsyncinfo"
    command.

    Also I tried to import the tape into the EMM database with this command:

    "bptm -makedbentry -m A00001 -den hcart -poolnum 1"

    This was so it would see that there was an entry in the database deassign
    it then assign my new media choice. This however still fails.

    I also tried to just remove the entry for the second media using the following
    command:

    " bpsyncinfo -delete d2 -v -M "

    That resulted in the error "premature eof encountered".

    Its like it knows its not there but the catalog cant remove it from its database
    cause its not there to be removed. Its quite frustrating because it refuses
    to use the first tape to do the next catalog backup.

    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

  2. Re: Unable to change catalog media

    "Gareth Mann" wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >
    >First off a little bit of background.
    >
    >I am running NetBackup 6.0 MP4 on a Solaris 9 system. Recently a drive malfunctioned
    >in the library while trying to write to a tape. This drive has now been

    fixed
    >and the media that was being written to was removed from the library.
    >
    >The media removed also was the second tape configured for use by the offline
    >catalog backups.
    >
    >Now when ever a backup is completed the catalog backups are configured to
    >run. However it always tries to write to the media that no longer is in

    the
    >library. When I try to allocate another tape as the second catalog tape

    >get an error: "Unable to deassign media". The same also when I try to just
    >set the second option to "None".
    >
    >This is the same through the GUI or through the command line using the "bpsyncinfo"
    >command.
    >
    >Also I tried to import the tape into the EMM database with this command:
    >
    >"bptm -makedbentry -m A00001 -den hcart -poolnum 1"
    >
    >This was so it would see that there was an entry in the database deassign
    >it then assign my new media choice. This however still fails.
    >
    >I also tried to just remove the entry for the second media using the following
    >command:
    >
    >" bpsyncinfo -delete d2 -v -M "
    >
    >That resulted in the error "premature eof encountered".
    >
    >Its like it knows its not there but the catalog cant remove it from its

    database
    >cause its not there to be removed. Its quite frustrating because it refuses
    >to use the first tape to do the next catalog backup.
    >
    >Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    >Thanks.

    If anyone is interested to the fix for the issue I posted above. I manually
    changed the file that holds the details of tapes used for the catalog backups.

    This configuration file is found here:
    ~/netbackup/db/config/sync

    It is just a text file so as along as the format remains the same no harm
    will come when manually editing it. It is however an approach that should
    only be used when all else has failed.

    As far as I know, this is only relevant for NetBackup 6.

    Hope this can help someone.

+ Reply to Thread