NBU 5.1: Having to be backed up directories depend on server? - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on NBU 5.1: Having to be backed up directories depend on server? - Veritas Net Backup ; Hello! As NBU 5.1 doesn't seem to support loopback filesystems (why doesn't it? What's the sense in that anyway?), I've got to use ugly workarounds. The workaround that I'm currently trying, is, that I changed the backup policy to backup ...

  1. NBU 5.1: Having to be backed up directories depend on server?

    Hello!

    As NBU 5.1 doesn't seem to support loopback filesystems (why
    doesn't it? What's the sense in that anyway?), I've got to
    use ugly workarounds. The workaround that I'm currently trying,
    is, that I changed the backup policy to backup two directories
    instead of just one

    The problem is, that I'm backing up multiple servers by one
    backup policy. Further, not all of the backup directories
    exist on all of the servers.

    Can I somehow setup the policy so, that it backs up directory
    1 on all of the "Clients" and directory 2 just on some of
    them?

    If that's not possible in 5.1, is this maybe possible in 6.0?

    Thanks,

    Alexander Skwar

  2. Re: NBU 5.1: Having to be backed up directories depend on server?

    Put all the directories/drives you want to backup in backup selections and
    policy will perform backup for the ones it finds on individual client. If
    same directory/drive exist on all the servers and you do not want to perform
    backup of these on one or two clients defined in your policy, you can create
    exclude list for the same on those clients.

    Hope this helps.

    -RK

    Alexander Skwar wrote:
    >Hello!
    >
    >As NBU 5.1 doesn't seem to support loopback filesystems (why
    >doesn't it? What's the sense in that anyway?), I've got to
    >use ugly workarounds. The workaround that I'm currently trying,
    >is, that I changed the backup policy to backup two directories
    >instead of just one
    >
    >The problem is, that I'm backing up multiple servers by one
    >backup policy. Further, not all of the backup directories
    >exist on all of the servers.
    >
    >Can I somehow setup the policy so, that it backs up directory
    >1 on all of the "Clients" and directory 2 just on some of
    >them?
    >
    >If that's not possible in 5.1, is this maybe possible in 6.0?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Alexander Skwar

  3. Re: NBU 5.1: Having to be backed up directories depend on server?

    Rakesh Khandelwal :

    > Put all the directories/drives you want to backup in backup selections and
    > policy will perform backup for the ones it finds on individual client.

    That's what I did and I'm getting error messages now,
    as NBU tries to backup directories, which don't exist. See
    . I'd
    like to not have those error messages.

    > If
    > same directory/drive exist on all the servers and you do not want to perform
    > backup of these on one or two clients defined in your policy, you can create
    > exclude list for the same on those clients.

    Hm, how do I create an exclude list? In the help, I find:

    | Exclude Lists properties apply only to Windows clients.

    Gladly, I don't have any Windows clients at all. Just Solaris.

    Cheers,
    Alexander Skwar

  4. Re: NBU 5.1: Having to be backed up directories depend on server?

    You can create one for Solaris, /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list on the clients
    you want to do exclude.

    Alexander Skwar wrote:
    >Rakesh Khandelwal :
    >
    >> Put all the directories/drives you want to backup in backup selections

    and
    >> policy will perform backup for the ones it finds on individual client.

    >That's what I did and I'm getting error messages now,
    >as NBU tries to backup directories, which don't exist. See
    >. I'd
    >like to not have those error messages.
    >
    >> If
    >> same directory/drive exist on all the servers and you do not want to perform
    >> backup of these on one or two clients defined in your policy, you can

    create
    >> exclude list for the same on those clients.

    >Hm, how do I create an exclude list? In the help, I find:
    >
    >| Exclude Lists properties apply only to Windows clients.
    >
    >Gladly, I don't have any Windows clients at all. Just Solaris.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Alexander Skwar

  5. Re: NBU 5.1: Having to be backed up directories depend on server?

    RK :

    > You can create one for Solaris, /usr/openv/netbackup/exclude_list on the clients
    > you want to do exclude.

    Is the naming scheme as it is with bpstart_notify? Ie., can I name
    the file exclude_list.Policy.Schedule, to "tune" to when the
    exclude list is to be used? So, suppose policy=Unix_FS-Snapshots,
    schedule=Daily, would then exclude_list.Unix_FS-Snapshots.Daily
    be used?

    Regards,

    Alexander Skwar

+ Reply to Thread