media sets, backup to disk - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on media sets, backup to disk - Veritas Net Backup ; in article 45c8b3e6@ROSASTDMZ05., alan schertz at symantec@schertz.net wrote on 2/6/07 8:59 AM: > > I have inherited a problem from a new client that is running netbackup version > 8.6x. The server is windows 2000 SBS. I do not desire ...

  1. Re: media sets, backup to disk

    in article 45c8b3e6@ROSASTDMZ05., alan schertz at symantec@schertz.net wrote
    on 2/6/07 8:59 AM:

    > I have inherited a problem from a new client that is running netbackup version
    > 8.6x. The server is windows 2000 SBS. I do not desire to change the version
    > at this time.

    I believe you are confusing Netbackup with BackupExec.

  2. media sets, backup to disk

    I have inherited a problem from a new client that is running netbackup version
    8.6x. The server is windows 2000 SBS. I do not desire to change the version
    at this time.

    The setup is a configured with an external usb drive. that acts as media.
    (backup to disk instead of tape)

    but the problem is the media set, in this case mediaset3, continually gets
    appended by netbackup until it fills the disk. Then the backup fails with
    the error that there is no media. (possibly the disk is full) And indeed
    the disk is full.

    At this time it appears the only thing to do is deleted the "backups" which
    all reside in one big file on the external disk and start the whole thing
    over again.

    Here are my desires:

    To me I think there should be a way to make these media sets a certain size.
    My external disk is roughly 200gig. My weekly complete backups are about
    20 gig, my daily incrementals are about 4 gig. so I was thinking of making
    mediasets that are about 36 to 40gig. These media set would hopefully capture
    approximately 1 week's worth of backup data. Then I could recycle or delete
    these media sets to allow the backup to continue with out filling the disk.

    Here are my questions:

    Currently I have a full disk and I would like to allow the backup to continue
    with out physically deleting the backup file via the Operating system. Is
    there a way via netbackup to make these old backups available for future
    backups?

    Am I correct in thinking that I would like to control the size of the media
    set? Or is there something else that I have missed. What governs the size
    of the actual file on the media? Is there a way to control the size of the
    file?

    Thank you,
    alan schertz

  3. Re: media sets, backup to disk

    I think you are right! thank you for your help!

    >I believe you are confusing Netbackup with BackupExec.

+ Reply to Thread