Duplication Question - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Duplication Question - Veritas Net Backup ; I just ran a duplication job which duplicated five backup imagesfrom two different volumes to one volume. It completed with a status 0. I was surprised that it copied all the images to just a single volume as the volumes ...

  1. Duplication Question

    I just ran a duplication job which duplicated five backup imagesfrom two different
    volumes to one volume. It completed with a status 0. I was surprised that
    it copied all the images to just a single volume as the volumes are 400GB
    native capacity. The backup images have a combined size of 580GB. Is there
    some compression happening that I don't know about during the duplication
    process?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Duplication Question

    I think I found the answer. Looks like NBU turns on hardware support by default
    if the tape drive supports it. My tape drives are HP Ultrium 3 drives.
    They have LO-DC which is an enhanced version of Advanced Lossless Data Compression
    (ADLC.)

    So it looks like mybackups were already commpressed via hardware compression
    and thus could fit on one volume.

    "Tom Naves" wrote:

    >I just ran a duplication job which duplicated five backup imagesfrom two

    different
    >volumes to one volume. It completed with a status 0. I was surprised that
    >it copied all the images to just a single volume as the volumes are 400GB
    >native capacity. The backup images have a combined size of 580GB. Is there
    >some compression happening that I don't know about during the duplication
    >process?
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Re: Duplication Question

    It depends on few things -

    Compression enabled on drives, which means you can backup upto 800GB data
    on single LTO-3 tape.

    It depends on what kind files are part of backup e.g If your backup contains
    large DB files you may get higher compression rate.

    FYI - I have lots of tapes with around 2 TB and more on each.

    -RK

    "Tom Naves" wrote:

    >I think I found the answer. Looks like NBU turns on hardware support by

    default
    >if the tape drive supports it. My tape drives are HP Ultrium 3 drives.

    >They have LO-DC which is an enhanced version of Advanced Lossless Data Compression
    >(ADLC.)
    >
    >So it looks like mybackups were already commpressed via hardware compression
    >and thus could fit on one volume.
    >

    >"Tom Naves" wrote:
    >>
    >>I just ran a duplication job which duplicated five backup imagesfrom two

    >different
    >>volumes to one volume. It completed with a status 0. I was surprised

    that
    >>it copied all the images to just a single volume as the volumes are 400GB
    >>native capacity. The backup images have a combined size of 580GB. Is

    there
    >>some compression happening that I don't know about during the duplication
    >>process?
    >>
    >>Thanks

+ Reply to Thread