error 156 - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on error 156 - Veritas Net Backup ; I keep having troubles with error 156? Does any one have any suggestions on how to resolve this error message? Netbackup 5.1 MP4 Master Server: Windows 2000 Client: Windows Server 2003 1/30/2007 6:05:10 PM - positioning B00180 to file 119 ...

  1. error 156

    I keep having troubles with error 156?
    Does any one have any suggestions on how to resolve this error message?

    Netbackup 5.1 MP4
    Master Server: Windows 2000
    Client: Windows Server 2003

    1/30/2007 6:05:10 PM - positioning B00180 to file 119
    1/30/2007 6:06:43 PM - positioned B00180; position time: 00:01:33
    1/30/2007 6:06:43 PM - begin writing
    1/30/2007 7:48:23 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=1664) from client nshsfp1: ERR - failure
    reading file: D:\Departments\1821-Billing\ClinicFiles\585\Medicare\Form 855
    (585).tif (WIN32 2: The system cannot find the file specified. )
    1/30/2007 7:48:24 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=1664) from client nshsfp1: ERR - Snapshot
    Error while reading file: GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy30\Depar tments\1821-Billing\ClinicFiles\585\Medicare\Form
    855 (585).tif
    1/30/2007 7:48:24 PM - Critical bpbrm(pid=1664) from client nshsfp1: FTL
    - Backup operation aborted!

    Thank you,

    John

  2. Re: error 156

    Hi John,

    Lot's of different things to try...

    1) Try adding the drive letter:
    ....to the VSP volume exclude list - because C: volumes are hardly ever
    quiet, so there really is little point in using VSP on them.

    2) Add exclusion for:
    *.vsp
    ....so that NetBackup won't try to backup it's own VSP cache file.
    N.B. v4.5 and v5.x clients store there VSP files on the root of volumes, and
    v6.0 clients store their VSP cache files in a sub-folder of the root folder.
    If you feel that excluding "*.vsp" is too general, and that other
    applications may have files named *.vsp, then search the Symantec tech notes
    for th actual naming conventions used for each version of NetBackup, as I
    can't remember what they are right now - and they are slightly different for
    each version.

    3) When you do find out where the VSP files are actually stored, I strongly
    recommend that they are excluded from anti-virus scanning. You are in for
    pain if you don't.

    4) VSP is installed and used by default. You could try not actually
    installing it at all, by using the "silent*.cmd" and adjusting some of the
    options to not install it. However, a maintenance pack update will install
    VSP too, even if you didn't install it during the GA base kit install -
    which is a real problem - and I'm still not sure how to stop a maintenance
    pack installing VSP. Sighs.

    5) VSP out of the box will claim upto 30GB of disk space! So, we always set
    the VSP cache file size parameters, to 100MB initial, and 1000MB (i.e. 1GB)
    max. Sometimes the initial has to be a little higher, sometimes the max has
    to be a little higher - but I have never had to set a max of more than
    3000MB (i.e. 3GB).

    6) For some clients, we just can't get VSP to work at all - so we use the
    "client attributes" tab of the "master server properties" to disable VSP
    completely.

    7) The default behaviour for a NetBackup client is to abort a backup if
    problems arise. Again, for some clients we have had to add an entry to
    "client attributes" on the "master server properties" to change the action
    to "continue on error" (i.e. don't abort the backup - just give up with
    VSP).

    8) For some clients we use "client attributes" on "master server properties"
    to use VSS and not VSP.

    9) Leave the VSP Busy File Wait at 5 seconds, but change the VSP Busy File
    Timeout to 30 seconds. If a file is still busy after 30 seconds, then it
    will probably still be busy after 5 minutes, so get your backups to move on
    more quickly, and step past busy files sooner.

    10) VSP is supposedly to help with locked files - but nothing beats the true
    approach of using a client side "bpstart_notify" script to quiesce
    applications and/or services before a backup starts - and then using a
    client side "bpend_notify" script to restart applications and/or services.
    But then you can run into problems if your client uses multi-streaming, as
    the "bpstart_notify" and "bpend_notify" end up being called multiple times.

    11) Also, some Windows system files, are just never secured, no matter what.
    I haven't got time to write about these right now. Post another question
    and I'll see if get a chance to write about it.

    So, in summary... VSP is a mixed bag, and the one size fits all approach of
    the default configuration rarely works - especially on specialized servers.
    We use a mix of all the different things that I've described - and, yes, we
    do completely turn it off on some servers.

    Hope this helps.
    Good luck.

    Regards,
    Dave.

    "j" wrote in message news:45c37cda@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > I keep having troubles with error 156?
    > Does any one have any suggestions on how to resolve this error message?
    >
    > Netbackup 5.1 MP4
    > Master Server: Windows 2000
    > Client: Windows Server 2003
    >
    > 1/30/2007 6:05:10 PM - positioning B00180 to file 119
    > 1/30/2007 6:06:43 PM - positioned B00180; position time: 00:01:33
    > 1/30/2007 6:06:43 PM - begin writing
    > 1/30/2007 7:48:23 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=1664) from client nshsfp1: ERR -
    > failure
    > reading file: D:\Departments\1821-Billing\ClinicFiles\585\Medicare\Form
    > 855
    > (585).tif (WIN32 2: The system cannot find the file specified. )
    > 1/30/2007 7:48:24 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=1664) from client nshsfp1: ERR -
    > Snapshot
    > Error while reading file:
    > GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy30\Depar tments\1821-Billing\ClinicFiles\585\Medicare\Form
    > 855 (585).tif
    > 1/30/2007 7:48:24 PM - Critical bpbrm(pid=1664) from client nshsfp1: FTL
    > - Backup operation aborted!
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > John

  3. Re: error 156

    David,

    Thank you. I will give your ideas a shot. Symantecís documentation on VSP
    is not that good. Do you recommend ever using VSS on clients? A lot of
    people seem to say that you should just use VSS on Server 2003. If so, what
    do you recommend the settings should be?

    Best Regards,
    John

    -
    >> failure
    >> reading file: D:\Departments\1821-Billing\ClinicFiles\585\Medicare\Form

    >> 855
    >> (585).tif (WIN32 2: The system cannot find the file specified. )
    >> 1/30/2007 7:48:24 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=1664) from client nshsfp1: ERR

    -
    >> Snapshot
    >> Error while reading file:
    >> GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy30\Depar tments\1821-Billing\ClinicFiles\585\Medicare\Form
    >> 855 (585).tif
    >> 1/30/2007 7:48:24 PM - Critical bpbrm(pid=1664) from client nshsfp1: FTL
    >> - Backup operation aborted!
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> John

+ Reply to Thread