Media server backups fail but OK as a client - Veritas Net Backup

This is a discussion on Media server backups fail but OK as a client - Veritas Net Backup ; Hi I have NBU 6.0MP4 in a fully windows SAN environment. There are about 12 NBU SAN media servers which are split across two domains. All the SAN media servers that exist within the same domain as the Master server ...

  1. Media server backups fail but OK as a client

    Hi
    I have NBU 6.0MP4 in a fully windows SAN environment. There are about 12
    NBU SAN media servers which are split across two domains. All the SAN media
    servers that exist within the same domain as the Master server back themselves
    up fine - direct to the MSL library. However, the SAN media servers in the
    other domain (the domain without the master server) will mount the tape but
    just hang at the 'Begin Writing' status - same if I create a disk STU on
    the media server itself. However, if I configure them as clients to media
    servers within the Master servers domain then they backup fine.
    My view is that this could be a name resoultion problem but all the DNS,
    reverse lookups, bpclntcmd commands are fine and I've even got hosts files
    configured and that seems ok - anyone any ideas?
    I guess the communication requirement for a media server is greater than
    that of a client therefore it might be a 'port' thing, but it does communicate
    with the master server sufficiently to load and position a tape - just doesn't
    write any data.

    Many Thanks

  2. Re: Media server backups fail but OK as a client

    Hi

    Do you recive any error status number ?
    Do you have multiple nic's / ip numbers on the media servers ?

    /Per

    "KeirL" wrote:

    >Hi
    >I have NBU 6.0MP4 in a fully windows SAN environment. There are about 12
    > NBU SAN media servers which are split across two domains. All the SAN media
    >servers that exist within the same domain as the Master server back themselves
    >up fine - direct to the MSL library. However, the SAN media servers in the
    >other domain (the domain without the master server) will mount the tape

    but
    >just hang at the 'Begin Writing' status - same if I create a disk STU on
    >the media server itself. However, if I configure them as clients to media
    >servers within the Master servers domain then they backup fine.
    >My view is that this could be a name resoultion problem but all the DNS,
    >reverse lookups, bpclntcmd commands are fine and I've even got hosts files
    >configured and that seems ok - anyone any ideas?
    >I guess the communication requirement for a media server is greater than
    >that of a client therefore it might be a 'port' thing, but it does communicate
    >with the master server sufficiently to load and position a tape - just doesn't
    >write any data.
    >
    >Many Thanks

  3. Re: Media server backups fail but OK as a client

    "Per" wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Do you recive any error status number ?
    >Do you have multiple nic's / ip numbers on the media servers ?
    >
    >/Per
    >
    >"KeirL" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi
    >>I have NBU 6.0MP4 in a fully windows SAN environment. There are about 12
    >> NBU SAN media servers which are split across two domains. All the SAN

    media
    >>servers that exist within the same domain as the Master server back themselves
    >>up fine - direct to the MSL library. However, the SAN media servers in

    the
    >>other domain (the domain without the master server) will mount the tape

    >but
    >>just hang at the 'Begin Writing' status - same if I create a disk STU on
    >>the media server itself. However, if I configure them as clients to media
    >>servers within the Master servers domain then they backup fine.
    >>My view is that this could be a name resoultion problem but all the DNS,
    >>reverse lookups, bpclntcmd commands are fine and I've even got hosts files
    >>configured and that seems ok - anyone any ideas?
    >>I guess the communication requirement for a media server is greater than
    >>that of a client therefore it might be a 'port' thing, but it does communicate
    >>with the master server sufficiently to load and position a tape - just

    doesn't
    >>write any data.
    >>
    >>Many Thanks

    Hi Per

    Thanks for the response - I don't get any error code it just hangs at the
    'begin writing' phase. I do however have multiple ip address on the media
    server as it's a cluster with several virtual servers - so I get quite a
    few ip address returned when I run the bpclntcmd commands. I've set the preferred
    network to the ip address of the physical node, but this has't helped.
    Thanks
    Jon

  4. Re: Media server backups fail but OK as a client

    "KeirL" wrote:

    >"Per" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Do you recive any error status number ?
    >>Do you have multiple nic's / ip numbers on the media servers ?
    >>
    >>/Per
    >>
    >>"KeirL" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi
    >>>I have NBU 6.0MP4 in a fully windows SAN environment. There are about

    12
    >>> NBU SAN media servers which are split across two domains. All the SAN

    >media
    >>>servers that exist within the same domain as the Master server back themselves
    >>>up fine - direct to the MSL library. However, the SAN media servers in

    >the
    >>>other domain (the domain without the master server) will mount the tape

    >>but
    >>>just hang at the 'Begin Writing' status - same if I create a disk STU

    on
    >>>the media server itself. However, if I configure them as clients to media
    >>>servers within the Master servers domain then they backup fine.
    >>>My view is that this could be a name resoultion problem but all the DNS,
    >>>reverse lookups, bpclntcmd commands are fine and I've even got hosts files
    >>>configured and that seems ok - anyone any ideas?
    >>>I guess the communication requirement for a media server is greater than
    >>>that of a client therefore it might be a 'port' thing, but it does communicate
    >>>with the master server sufficiently to load and position a tape - just

    >doesn't
    >>>write any data.
    >>>
    >>>Many Thanks

    >Hi Per
    >
    >Thanks for the response - I don't get any error code it just hangs at the
    >'begin writing' phase. I do however have multiple ip address on the media
    >server as it's a cluster with several virtual servers - so I get quite a
    >few ip address returned when I run the bpclntcmd commands. I've set the

    preferred
    >network to the ip address of the physical node, but this has't helped.
    >Thanks
    >Jon

    I'm a Novell Netware geek by default, but I do have some Windows servers
    (cluster) in my environment. We had a similar problem after installing MP4,
    the solution was to set the preferred ip address first in the TCP/IP binding
    order on the Windows (2003 server) media servers.

    /Per

+ Reply to Thread